+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pop Culture: The Butt-Biting Bug

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Pop Culture: The Butt-Biting Bug

I'd like to introduce you to the latest inane craze making the rounds in Japan.

He's a little yellow and purple big-headed insect called oshiri kajiri mushi, literally: "The Butt-Biting Bug". The Butt-Biting Bug's sole goal in life is to bite as many butts as he can, thereby spreading the joy of zombielike music and dance to the bitten.

The original song, a short from NHK's Minna no Uta ("Songs for Everyone") series, has become so phenomenally popular that the character now has his own toy line, appears live on television music programs and has a best-selling CD. Who knew?!

The original video: right here

Others:
    Live Performance
    Dance Lessons
    It has infected the children!
    Toys!

For a more complete listing of Oshiri Kajiri Mushi swag, check out amazon

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Pop Culture: The Butt-Biting Bug

Haha he's been around for a while hasn't he? I saw that on TV last summer too.
    It's pretty bad. Not anything groundbreakingly bad though.

I love the woman singing "Bite meeee" "Bite yooouuuu". Biiiiite meeeee!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

For a second there I thought you were going to post something worse than Morning Musume.

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

At first I thought this was a thread about a Japanese band with a funky name... Afterall, there are bands in Germany called "dead pants" or something like that.

...That was... quite an experience. His head is shaped like a peanut... And I think I've heard this song before. Yes, I put 「おしり」 (oshiri, butt) into the search bar. Thought it was a joke. I didn't know what "kajiri" meant, but I did recognize oshiri and mushi... Personally I think the name "Butt Bug" sounds cuter— and cleaner than "Butt-Biting Bug". Eww. And this one was aimed specifically at children, right? Unless the creators intentionally put much of the text (to me, most notably "butt") in hiragana instead of kanji and furigana... Or did they put it in hiragana to emphasize it? Though I thought katakana was used for that...

I'm assuming that many people have seen this video [in Japan]. How many of them refer to the little insect as "freaky and sorta repulsive"? I'm specifically looking for the word "kimoi" coming out of the mouths of children... Or are they too smitten with adoration for this creature that likes the taste of human buttocks?

Is it typical in J-Pop Culture to have fads like this explode in popularity?
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Newbie AngelMage is off to a good start AngelMage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    At first I thought this was a thread about a Japanese band with a funky name... Afterall, there are bands in Germany called "dead pants" or something like that.

...That was... quite an experience. His head is shaped like a peanut... And I think I've heard this song before. Yes, I put 「おしり」 (oshiri, butt) into the search bar. Thought it was a joke. I didn't know what "kajiri" meant, but I did recognize oshiri and mushi... Personally I think the name "Butt Bug" sounds cuter— and cleaner than "Butt-Biting Bug". Eww. And this one was aimed specifically at children, right? Unless the creators intentionally put much of the text (to me, most notably "butt") in hiragana instead of kanji and furigana... Or did they put it in hiragana to emphasize it? Though I thought katakana was used for that...

I'm assuming that many people have seen this video [in Japan]. How many of them refer to the little insect as "freaky and sorta repulsive"? I'm specifically looking for the word "kimoi" coming out of the mouths of children... Or are they too smitten with adoration for this creature that likes the taste of human buttocks?

Is it typical in J-Pop Culture to have fads like this explode in popularity?
    Haha yeah I'd like to know that too.-^_^-

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I'd like to introduce you to the latest inane craze making the rounds in Japan.

He's a little yellow and purple big-headed insect called oshiri kajiri mushi, literally: "The Butt-Biting Bug". The Butt-Biting Bug's sole goal in life is to bite as many butts as he can, thereby spreading the joy of zombielike music and dance to the bitten.

The original song, a short from NHK's Minna no Uta ("Songs for Everyone") series, has become so phenomenally popular that the character now has his own toy line, appears live on television music programs and has a best-selling CD. Who knew?!

The original video: right here

Others:
    Live Performance
    Dance Lessons
    It has infected the children!
    Toys!

For a more complete listing of Oshiri Kajiri Mushi swag, check out amazon
    Oh wow that sounds....Interesting haha,wander if it will start appearing in Macdonald's over there in Japan.-^__^-;

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

O.o is that thing like evil or something? cuz it was giving me a serious case of the hibbie-jibbies...

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll admit it... I want that plushie. I don't know why. I guess it's just cute. Geck, I blame it on those Monty Python rabbits with pointy teeth.

The bug is really that popular? I guess it is sort of... Charming? can't say cute, but I can see how some people can be drawn to the little guy... And then there's thefact that the tune is just contagious. Have it playing in my head, worse than 'It's A Small World', heh...
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

+ Reply to Thread