+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Prime Minister of Japan Has Stepped Down

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The Prime Minister of Japan Has Stepped Down

The Japanese Prime Minster announced that he will resign 10 minutes ago...

I found the news surfing yahoo.co.jp and told my co-workers, who all couldn't believe it... then we told the students during cleaning time. There's going to be a press conference soon...

I don't know if you guy's realize the impact of this... but it's sort of like President Bush announcing he isn't going to be the president anymore: only Japan lacks the office of "Vice President", so there's no obvious candidate to replace Abe.

Imagine having a president in the morning, then having none come the afternoon O_o;

I'm overjoyed, by the way... Abe was a fantastic neo-conservative idiot.

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Prime Minister of Japan Has Stepped Down

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    I don't know if you guy's realize the impact of this... but it's sort of like President Bush announcing he isn't going to be the president anymore.
    So there are people dancing in the streets all over Japan righ now?

I think the W some how had a hand in this, the same way Tony Blair stepped down.

Isn't that job over there just a figure head position like it has been here?
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you sure there's no Deputy Prime Minister?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    I think the W some how had a hand in this, the same way Tony Blair stepped down.

This may come as a shock to you, but The world doesn't revolve around the Untied States. To say that Bush had a hand in his resignation is, well... Just plain stupidity.

I just read an article that said he resigned because of his Low popularity ratings and extreme political opposition to his agenda in Afganistan.

And no, Japan's Government is a Constitutional Monarchy. They have an Emporer, but all day to day (All of it really) running of the country is handled by the Country's Parliament.

Other countries with this type of Government include: Canada and Australia (Both hold Queen Elizabeth II as their Monarch)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post

Abe is a nationalist and supports the remilitarization of Japan. The Bush Administration has been holding the potential repeal of the Act that has kept Japan from holding an offensive military force since the end of WWII over him in exchange for aid in the "War Against Terrorism". Abe threatened to resign if his bill to have Japanese ships refuel American Ally forces in the Indian Ocean didn't go through... apparently it didn't.

Abe's Administration is also incredibly corrupt and multiple members have been involved in high profile money-laundering crimes, scandals, and a few have resigned before him (one committed suicide).

The job isn't exactly "decorative", but there are upper and lower houses of Parliment who the Prime Minister has to go through in order to make policy. He lost the upper house in the recent elections... but his party still controls the lower house: the house that will choose the new Prime Minister.

This means we're getting rid of Abe... but whoever we do get is likely to also be a nationalist with goals similar to Abe's ~_~;

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay aceman take it easy. I didn't say it in so many worlds but I was actually referring to anyone that comes into contact or having dealings with the W seems to have the need to "step down".

Blair stepped down because of low popularity and why was that because of the W.

The world may not revolve around it, but that doesn't mean the US isn't a big part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Abe is a nationalist and supports the remilitarization of Japan. The Bush Administration has been holding the potential repeal of the Act that has kept Japan from holding an offensive military force since the end of WWII over him in exchange for aid in the "War Against Terrorism". Abe threatened to resign if his bill to have Japanese ships refuel American Ally forces in the Indian Ocean didn't go through... apparently it didn't.

Abe's Administration is also incredibly corrupt and multiple members have been involved in high profile money-laundering crimes, scandals, and a few have resigned before him (one committed suicide).

The job isn't exactly "decorative", but there are upper and lower houses of Parliment who the Prime Minister has to go through in order to make policy. He lost the upper house in the recent elections... but his party still controls the lower house: the house that will choose the new Prime Minister.

This means we're getting rid of Abe... but whoever we do get is likely to also be a nationalist with goals similar to Abe's ~_~;
    Jeez, where is the Major and Section 9 when you need them?

Anyway Ugh, that sounds like lovely goings on over there. Don't you wish you lived back over here, where the main point of focus is how awful Britney was at the VMAs?

*throws up a little*
    Last edited by Mechazawa; Sep 11, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

In all honesty, I think Article 9 in japan's constitution should be amended.

While my grandfather served in the Pacific Theater during World War II (He was at Perl Harbor, served at Midway and Iwo Jima), its been over 60 years, and in today's world, Japan should stand on its own feet.

syd
    Otaku syd is off to a good start
    Thanks

I agree too. that law needs to be amended. I just hate it when the US tries to keep of everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    In all honesty, I think Article 9 in japan's constitution should be amended.

While my grandfather served in the Pacific Theater during World War II (He was at Perl Harbor, served at Midway and Iwo Jima), its been over 60 years, and in today's world, Japan should stand on its own feet.
    The trouble with this is that Japan still harbors quite a few radical nationalist groups who have been gaining in power and popularity and has lost none of the sheeplike tendencies that lead it into WWII in the first place. In embracing "victimhood" after the war, Japan has effectively avoided ever accepting responsibility for it.

A major political figure was recently forced to step down after public outcry following a statement that implied the US bombing of Hiroshima was "justified".

The segment about the entire Japanese "Greater East Asia Expansion" (spanning 2 decades) is 4 pages long in Junior High history books and refers to Nanking as "an incident". The section on Hiroshima (1 day) is 12 pages long (it also covers 6 pages of their English textbook and 7 in their Japanese textbook).

Repealing Article 9 entirely is potentially INCREDIBLY dangerous... especially considering the tensions between Japan, North Korea and China. If Japan were allowed to hold an offensive arsenal: they easily have the capacity to develop nuclear weapons... do we really want more of those in the world?

Very little has actually changed since before WWII... some political groups actually still fly the rising sun battleflag.

It may be true that Japan needs MORE power over it's defense... but I don't think a nationalist group is who we need to oversee that development.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast