+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Prime Minister of Japan Has Stepped Down

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: The Prime Minister of Japan Has Stepped Down

Any news on the replacement? I mean Abe was a very conservative person but I don't want someone even more right winged to take his place either.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    If Japan were allowed to hold an offensive arsenal: they easily have the capacity to develop nuclear weapons... do we really want more of those in the world?
    Japan already has an offensive Arsenal: The Self Defense Force. The only difference is how its being currently used.

Japan's military is very well equipped, most of their arms are either on par, or exceed that of the US. if they wanted to, they could fight a war, and very effectively at that.

The only thing Japan lacks right now is Naval Air Power, something that is pretty much a pre-requisite to maintaining any modern large scale conflict, and why Japan was so successful in the opening stages of WWII.

Otaku Tetris Champion, Ms Pacman Champion, Trivial Blitz Champion Mechazawa is off to a good start Mechazawa's Avatar
    Thanks

Repealing Article 9 entirely is potentially INCREDIBLY dangerous... especially considering the tensions between Japan, North Korea and China. If Japan were allowed to hold an offensive arsenal: they easily have the capacity to develop nuclear weapons... do we really want more of those in the world?

It may be true that Japan needs MORE power over it's defense...

I don't really think it matters if its repealed or not, there is nothing that could make me believe that Japan doesn't already have nuclear weapons. Countries with citizens that don't have two sticks to rub together have nukes.

In this day and age there shouldn't be a need for any nation to be armed to the teeth with weapons. Maybe I'm blind to it, but other than "terrorist/nutso dictators(W included)", no countries are in a made dash to increase their power over the world or territory.

Sure countries need defense for the what ifs that may happen, but other than that. *shrugs*
    Last edited by aceman67; Sep 12, 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Just fixing the quote...
    I BELONG TO AN ANGEL NOW!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazawa View Post
    I don't really think it matters if its repealed or not, there is nothing that could make me believe that Japan doesn't already have nuclear weapons. Countries with citizens that don't have two sticks to rub together have nukes.

In this day and age there shouldn't be a need for any nation to be armed to the teeth with weapons. Maybe I'm blind to it, but other than "terrorist/nutso dictators(W included)", no countries are in a made dash to increase their power over the world or territory.

Sure countries need defense for the what ifs that may happen, but other than that. *shrugs*
    Japan had its own Nuclear program during closing stages of WWII, albeit a small program, similar to Germany's, and it is speculated that they did test one bomb, but records we're either destroyed before (To keep the information awy from the US) or after (To cover up that they had a program) Japan's surrender or Just poorly kept.

As for Japan Having Nukes now, I seriously doubt it. The US would have stopped it.

For the production of Nuclear weapons, you need to manufacture mass amounts Deuterium (Heavy Water), which is used to make purified plutonium. The facilities to make deuterium are rather large, and can't be hidden very easily (And even if they were to try and hide them, the US would still ask "Why are you digging a large hole in a mountain?").

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

well, i don't think anything is too big that it can't be covered up, at least when it comes to political power...

as for Abe stepping down... hm, i didn't know too much about him but the US newspapers made him look like an OK guy, so it was a little shocking to me... but i suppose it would hard for anyone to continue after their posse disbanded and no one is going along with their ideas... but i was rooting for him though, over here (in the US) he seemed to be very patriotic and wanted to do the best for Japan... he did seem a little too eager to rub elbows with "Dubbya" but i thought that's what everyone does when they have to kiss up to someone they don't like... but i digress...

i also think that Japan should have it's military back, but as the Tsurara said, it can be dangerous with people vying for power like that...

and as for Hiroshima, i never feel somfortable talking about it... never... yeah, that's about it... i never felt it was my place, you know?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

A major political figure was recently forced to step down after public outcry following a statement that implied the US bombing of Hiroshima was "justified".
    Which was a nice change of pace from the usual scandals with other countries (USA, China, Korea, etc) getting angry about the ministers annual visit to the shrine of what is considered war criminals from WWII, the claim that the Korean "comfort women" were all volunteers and that the women who said they had been forced into prostitution were lying, and your aforementioned slant in their history text books about WWII and all previous activities on the mainland.

News Update: New favourite in Japan's PM race

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

In my opinion, Fukuda clearly looks like he's the person they need at the moment.
    Time to start building the good relationship with China (and to a lesser extent Korea) again.

It'll only do Japan good and might even keep them away from being under too much American influence.

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think either will make a bit of difference.

Japan's LDP is obviously like the Republican Party, a bunch of overly patriotic conservative nationalists who only care about Japan's military standpoint in the world.

I think it's more about image than ideologies.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast