+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pronounciations

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Pronounciations

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    You learned Japanese from speaking and intereacting with the people in Japan right? I don't think someone should try to learn from Ouran Hostess Club. It does help watching a bunch of shows but people will think you're gay for using words primarily used by women because you saw it in a book or anime.
    How gares if people think your gay, besides i learned my English from tv.
    If i hade learned English from school i would have learned British English, would you say thats a good way of talking its way to polite.
    Ok the english i learned from tv and books is a mixture of American, Australian, Scotish, and British English but its a lot better than just British English.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005 View Post
    Ok the english i learned from tv and books is a mixture of American, Australian, Scotish, and British English but its a lot better than just British English.
    Mmmmm. Can't say I don't agree, but you've got to know how to differentiate the different accents and slangs and know when to use them. Otherwise you'll just sound really strange. I mean, I have friends who try to speak with an American accent, and they end up pronouncing "father" like "feather" and "rather" like "raw-ther". It happens to me sometimes too, especially when I'm in Australia trying to speak with an Aussie accent... mainly because my accent by default is Canadian, and it's really different from the Aussie accent.

Soooo yeah. Just as long as you know how to switch back and forth, and make out what's what.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait what do people in other countries think about our accent? What's the default accent that they imagine us having.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Who is us? If you mean Americans, then it's pretty obvious people would imagine most Americans to speak with an American accent. >_>

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

I meant what part of America. Do they imagine us to have a Texas accent or New York or California one.

Thanks

Uhhhhhh. I don't think non-Americans really know the difference the accents. ^^;; I can recognize a Southern accent when I hear one, but apart from that every other American sounds more or less the same to me.

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

I somehow had the impression people from Texas speak cowboy talk

just joking. :P but like blue_rebel said, I don't think people hear much difference in American slang, or at least I never really noticed it before
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I meant what part of America. Do they imagine us to have a Texas accent or New York or California one.
    I now what you mean there is a clear difrence between the way someone from Texas speaks and the way someone from New York speaks, but for most people whit English as there second or third language it can be pretty difficult to notice the difrence.
    But i have to say the difrence between American Southern accent and Nortern accent is proberly just as big as Welsh and Scotish accent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast