Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A question for Japanese/Anime enthusisiasts

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

A question for Japanese/Anime enthusisiasts

Do people really think that by watching anime and reading manga they are understanding Japanese culture?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: A question for Japanese/Anime enthusisiasts

i dont thin they do becuase its just a cartoon to alot of people they dont think much about the culture or mmuch abouth the bacj ground of most character in an anime . my self i really didnt think there was much to it till i saw princess monanoki
    wich used a few culture facts wich i thought was cool
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not so sure about that. You get alot of people in Asian martial arts who think by studying Karate or whatever they are experiencing a part of Japanese culture. I'm wondering if people are doing the same with anime and manga.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I can tell you this much: you will learn more about Japanese culture by reading/watching manga/anime than by doing nothing.

It differs depending on which manga you read of course but the realistic ones set in modern times will often show you some interesting things about Japanese culture.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Well probably not. They are only cartoons and aren't real true representation of life in Japan.

But then again yes you can. for example you might hear a word or see something that out of curiosity you go investigate to find out more about.
    When I watched Samurai Champloo, I didn't know what the "Edo (sp?) era" was so I looked it up and learnt a bit about history.

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure if it would be understood then and there, but I think realistic anime/manga can help you at least learn about the culture/cultural differences. Even little things such as school uniforms, the taking off of shoes off before coming in, eating riceballs, and soaking after washing is quite noticable to a person who's culture doesn't do those things.

So I don't think all people necessarily think they totally understand the culture, but are at least learning a bit about it. Of course there are some people who do think they're know-it-alls from anime/manga, but that's the same with anything ^^;
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

i see your point about that but i think some not all aniem and manga does have some cultue back ground like bashido blade now i know its fisctional but still some of the swords and style'sthey were wearing acutually used in some culters a long time ago. not that im saying it is portrayed 100% but there is a bit of culture in it
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan
    Do people really think that by watching anime and reading manga they are understanding Japanese culture?
    A little.
    After all, you read about Japanese festivals and the lifestyles of Japanese people, do you not? In some instances these things are exaggerated, but you still get a vague impression of what it's like to live as a Japanese person in Japan.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast