Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A question for Japanese/Anime enthusisiasts

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A question for Japanese/Anime enthusisiasts

^_^ yes! of course SOME people will think they know everything simply by watching anime/reading manga! there are people who think they know Japanese becuz they know what "Baka" and "Arigatou" mean! there are people who think they're a swordsman becuz they bought a blade on EBay and hack trees with it! and there are people who just won't shut up about how much they know when they learned it from Fruits Basket...

>.< sorry... people like that make my fists tight and say mean things that they can hear...

^_^ of course, i'm talking about SOME of the anime fans, not all!

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Well yeah. Obviously there is some truth to anime. It is based off their culture. But I wouldn't say that you could educate yourself accurately by just watching anime and reading manga.

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

~ beri-chan ~ hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu's Avatar
    Thanks

yea, from watching anime or reading manga, you actually get something out of it about japanese culture. In a way, its just like learning more things,even though its through cartoons, etc.

Cherubic Flash Pegs Champion, Chaos Theory Champion, Booya Champion, Word Up Champion, Angel Differences Champion mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel may be famous one day mystical shadow angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I say, yes and no, depending on which anime you watch. For example, you wouldn't expect to learn anything about the Japanese culture by watching an anime like Pokemon. However, an anime like Rurouni Kenshin, which is set around the Meiji period in Japan, will more than likely give you some info. on the Japanese culture.

Newbie _-*kAsUmI*-_ may be famous one day _-*kAsUmI*-_ may be famous one day _-*kAsUmI*-_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I think it depends on what manga your reading or what anime your watching...
    1 image per signature.
    Max main signature image size: 500*115 pixels.

-- Hassun

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan
    Do people really think that by watching anime and reading manga they are understanding Japanese culture?

of course not. no way the crap in sailor moon holds any simblance to reality.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fayt lingod
    of course not. no way the crap in sailor moon holds any simblance to reality.
    1. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon is not the only existing anime/manga title.

2. BSSM is not entirely fictitious in the sense that the characters personalities do resemble that of actual Japanese schoolgirls. So you get a glimpse of what Japanese school girls are like. Some of them can be absolutely hyper.

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mystical shadow angel
    For example, you wouldn't expect to learn anything about the Japanese culture by watching an anime like Pokemon.
    Hey, even Pokemon anime had subtle things - 'course the dub axed alot of it, but by watching the first season alone you'd at least notice they eat those weird, white, triangular "sandwhiches" quite a lot. There were also instances where they took off their shoes when coming into some places, and wore kimono during a festival ^.^

And as blue_rebel said, they're schoolgirls in BSSM, so you do get a glimpse of their personal lives. I mean even little things like Ami going to cram school, and Usagi eating a ton of non-western food counts =) And if you watch it subbed you'll note things like the 'non-western text' that pops up in several episodes and that neo queen Serenity only writes in hiragana =D
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast