+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A Quick note on abreviation. read please

Otaku Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A Quick note on abreviation. read please

oh boy. every time i write japanese i want to write jap because it's soo easy but then then then i get reminded how they got treated in WW2.

there is always prejudius (is that how u spell it.) in the world no matter who you are.
    'sigh' ah well

Otaku Rei_unit00 may be famous one day Rei_unit00 may be famous one day Rei_unit00's Avatar
    Thanks

I've don't remember ever using that abbreviation before, I don't really talk too much about Japan or use abbreviations. It's usually the people who always write abbreviations for things alot (ex:lol, lmao, stuff like that) that get used to not saying a word completely and abbreviating. I've heard that said before, but A) I had no idea it was offensive and B) It would irritate me anyway because I'm the type of person who tries to say things the correct way and I don't even shorten things when I'm talking with someone using instant messages. good to know it's offensive now, though

Newbie Charmed1P5 may be famous one day Charmed1P5 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kedar
    Haha, certainly, it's quite very offensive!!
    Why did you start your post by laughing? nothing about this is funny.

To me, it's an inflammatory/disparaging term, that pisses me off when people use it to associate Japanese girls and culture.
    Yeah, it pisses me off too. that's why i started this thread. When have you seen it in association with Japanese girls? It's used Anytime someone has to write 'Japanese' not just when it refers to girls. Yeah you said and culture but why single out Japanese girls.

Yeah, like you said, it's related to World War II. Blah, I know, it's an obvious abbreviation, but I prefer the term Japan, instead.
    'Blah'? What's blah? It's not a matter to be shrugged off. Some people don't know the reference. "The bliss of ignorance".(quote from somewhere/ I don't think that's the whole quote...anyway)

Thank you everyone who's reading this.

Otaku Rei_unit00 may be famous one day Rei_unit00 may be famous one day Rei_unit00's Avatar
    Thanks

ouch, you really take this to heart, don't you?

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed1P5

'Blah'? What's blah? It's not a matter to be shrugged off. Some people don't know the reference. "The bliss of ignorance".(quote from somewhere/ I don't think that's the whole quote...anyway)
    Ignorance is bliss. But yes. Hmm... You shouldn't be so uptight with the verbal mannerisms of people. Kedar goes "haha" and he goes "blah", but I doubt he's trying to be ignorant or something like that. He wasn't laughing because it was funny. People talk like that. I go "Hmm..." and I go "Heh". It shouldn't be a big deal. He's a funny guy. Don't take offense in the little things, but anyway......

Yes, "Jap" is pretty bad. It's a racial slur. It's just as bad as all the other racial slurs out there. Cultural misunderstandings. What people might find offensive, other people don't know about it. Westerners tend to believe that anime is short for "Japanimation". That's a common belief. But yet again, it's very offensive.
    Last edited by Innerhell; Jun 22, 2006 at 10:31 PM.
    I love my girlfriend.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, sorry. I didn't know that you would take it so seriously, I meant purely nothing with that 'haha' remark. It wasn't there to imply that something is funny. I use it often, but I am very sorry.

Yeah, it pisses me off too. that's why i started this thread. When have you seen it in association with Japanese girls? It's used Anytime someone has to write 'Japanese' not just when it refers to girls. Yeah you said and culture but why single out Japanese girls.
    I don't like to use that three-letter J-word because I have respect for my country, but as to your question, in a bunch of forums, I have seen many folks calling Japanese girls as Jap chicks. Forgive me for saying 'Jap.' Here again, I just pointed out what I see and hear commonly, and my intention was not to single out Japanese girls. I have nothing against them. I know, most that is related to Japanese is abbreviate by some as 'Jap', but I didn't want to point out everything, rather I mentioned what I see on boards. Sorry again.

You misunderstood me. I said ‘blah’ because when I ask some people to not use that ‘Jap’ term, some have told me that it’s easy to abbreviate like that, so I was ‘blah-ing’ at them, at what they said, not for what you said.

I am from Japan, so I would never laugh or make fun of my country, nor do I make fun of any other countries. I respect and hold pride in all of them. Anyhow, I sincerely apologize if I have offended you by any means. I am truly sorry.

Thank you InnerHell! ^_^

im a ninja-u cant c me bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk may be famous one day bloodhawk's Avatar
    Thanks

yes the word "jap" is a way to type japanese shorter and was used in WWII as a rashel term. so yes it would ofend some ppl. but if u show respect to other ppl and are a half desent person then u should use the real name.

IM BACK

Newbie ChamaTama may be famous one day ChamaTama may be famous one day ChamaTama's Avatar
    Thanks

I knew it's a racial term but I didn't really know how offensive it could be until this girl (and she looked so much younger than me) gave me a quick glance and said "Oops, a Jap" with obvious attitude of discrimination. I'm only half Japanese but that got me pretty cranky for several days

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast