Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Religion in Japan?

Otaku Flying Ace may be famous one day Flying Ace may be famous one day
    Thanks

Religion in Japan?

Hey, I am curious, what religions are dominate in Japan? I've heard of Taoism, but that's about it.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Religion in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
    Hey, I am curious, what religions are dominate in Japan? I've heard of Taoism, but that's about it.
    I hear Christianity is pretty big. The three religions and Buddism are probably near the top.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    I hear Christianity is pretty big. The three religions and Buddism are probably near the top.
    On the contrary. Christianity is minuscule in Japan.

For the most part, the Japanese have a syncretized version of Buddhism and Shintō.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    On the contrary. Christianity is minuscule in Japan.

For the most part, the Japanese have a syncretized version of Buddhism and Shintō.
    Is that so? Wow, been asuming the wrong thing for years now lol. Oh well. I suspected Buddhism had some foundation though. I mean it kinda matches, so I want credit there.

"Most Japanese people do not believe in any one particular religion; instead they incorporate the features of many religions in their daily lives in a process known as syncretism. Many people, especially those in younger generations, claim to feel that the religions in Japan are part of the traditional culture. Shinto and Buddhist teachings are deeply entangled in Japanese everyday life, though the Japanese people themselves may not be aware of it. Generally speaking, it can be difficult for westerners to disentangle "real" Japanese religion from everyday superstition and rituals; most Japanese people do not often give the distinction much thought.

One of the main characteristics of Japanese religion is its tendency towards syncretism. The same person may have a wedding at a Christian church and have a funeral at a Buddhist temple. Japanese streets are decorated on Tanabata, Obon, Halloween and Christmas." Wikipedia/Subject Religion in Japan

Otaku Flying Ace may be famous one day Flying Ace may be famous one day
    Thanks

Interesting, I'll have to read in Wikipedia more about it.

I know it's minuscule but isn't there some Christianity in Japan?

Otaku Brent-Enix is off to a good start Brent-Enix's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Confucianism is also common in Japan, as well as Buddhism. But isn't there also a religion called "Shintoism" there? I've read it in a book about religions. I've read that Shintoism is the most common religion in Japan.

mmhmm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
    Interesting, I'll have to read in Wikipedia more about it.

I know it's minuscule but isn't there some Christianity in Japan?
    There is Christianity in Japan, or forms of it in actuality. The whole syncretism concept is probably a bit confusing, but understanding is suppose to be that way to foreigners I assume.

Learning the definition and origins of syncretism would be the best start, then moving down the line would be the second move. Christianity has spread to nearly all corners of the world and Japan was certainly one of the countries involved.

"Shintoism: Indigenous religion of Japan, based on the worship of spirits known as kami. Founded in 660 BC, at the time of Buddhism, it was Japan's state religion until 1945.

Confucianism, although not practiced as a religion, has deeply influenced Japanese thought. In other words, Confucianism is the practice of proper forms of conduct, especially in social and familial relationships." - Wikiwiki baby

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ my Japanese teacher told me that most don't really know what religion they are. Shintoism and Buddhism are so apart of who they are, that it's not considered a religion, but a way of life.

But that doesn't mean you can really talk about religion openly! Japanese don't like to talk about such personal things publically. So if you want to ask, be sure you're close enough to them as friends so they don't get offended..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast