+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sank You Berry Much

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Sank You Berry Much

I'm used to Americans mispronouncing Japanese words all the time. But what do Japanese people have trouble pronouncing in English? I noticed they do things like say ball or lion as Baru or Raion.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sank You Berry Much

it's becuz their phonetics doesn't contain the "L" sound, so it makes it very difficult for them to learn English. there are even surgeries to snip the little fleshy thing that holds the tongue in order to make it easier to pronounce the "L" sound... or "V" or "Th" or whatever...

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    it's becuz their phonetics doesn't contain the "L" sound, so it makes it very difficult for them to learn English. there are even surgeries to snip the little fleshy thing that holds the tongue in order to make it easier to pronounce the "L" sound.
    Yeah, that pretty much answer the question. It is not like they are doing it on purpose. It took me me a while to get the S sound going, instead of "cool bus" and "zzznoopy"

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

They don't have an "L"... that's easy enough.
    Their language just doesn't support our pronunciations and rules.

While their laws are more determined, the English language is like an ever-changing maze that tricks even its users to screw up.

Honestly, Americans have no reason to mispronounce Japanese...... we just overthink, because our language made us be careful or overassume with our accents.
    Japanese is easy to pronounce, try Chinese or Korean... those'll kill you if you're American.

I think it's torture for any other culture to learn English...
    But English does have its ups... we do tend to have a language to explain almost any descriptive scientific and methodical nature.
    But we have a hard time explaining spiritual aspects. Our words are pro-realist.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyoro-Pyoro View Post
    Yeah, that pretty much answer the question. It is not like they are doing it on purpose. It took me me a while to get the S sound going, instead of "cool bus" and "zzznoopy"
    You mean as a child? When I was a child I couldn't pronounce r sounds.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    You mean as a child? When I was a child I couldn't pronounce r sounds.
    Well I was both young and new to the language (to the country). So maybe it was because I was a kid or maybe because I was new to the language, im not sure.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyoro-Pyoro View Post
    Well I was both young and new to the language (to the country). So maybe it was because I was a kid or maybe because I was new to the language, im not sure.
    Okay that makes sense. Even people who are born here have problems pronouncing words. Like I knew a teacher who couldn't prounce words with the letter "z"

Oh and speaking of buses.
    YouTube - Ayaka's Surprise English Lesson: Yaguchi Mari (2001-04-02)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Okay that makes sense. Even people who are born here have problems pronouncing words. Like I knew a teacher who couldn't prounce words with the letter "z"

Oh and speaking of buses.
    YouTube - Ayaka's Surprise English Lesson: Yaguchi Mari (2001-04-02)
    Wow, she's actually pretty good for a Japanese, even I'm a bit appalled.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast