+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sank You Berry Much

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Sank You Berry Much

Quote Originally Posted by Pyoro-Pyoro View Post
    Wow, she's actually pretty good for a Japanese, even I'm a bit appalled.
    Huh? What do you mean by a bit Appalled? I don't understand you.

Newbie Kisa Uchiha is off to a good start Kisa Uchiha's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, They can't pronounce the letter "L". they're the only country i the world, that don't have that letter. And they can't pronounce "ti" was it?

And, yeah, she does speak good english.
    I luv cats!!! ^_^

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Huh? What do you mean by a bit Appalled? I don't understand you.
    The lady was speaking accent-less English.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

*shrugs*

Look at it this way, Shodokan. Can YOU speak Japanese with the proper intonation? It takes time and effort because you weren't taught to speak like that. Likewise, the Japanese weren't brought up or taught in school to pronounce English words the way the Westerners do.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyoro-Pyoro View Post
    The lady was speaking accent-less English.
    At first I thought she was insulting us by speaking that way. But then I found out she lived in America for years.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    *shrugs*

Look at it this way, Shodokan. Can YOU speak Japanese with the proper intonation? It takes time and effort because you weren't taught to speak like that. Likewise, the Japanese weren't brought up or taught in school to pronounce English words the way the Westerners do.
    I'm actually not sure. I think I'm saying simple words and two or three sentences with the correct intonation. But if I tried to speak casually(speak as if I really know the language) I bet I would screw up 90 percent of the intonation.This is kind of off subject but if I ever fully learn Japanese I'm going to stick with my California accent. I don't want people to think I'm a wannabe Japanese person.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd say that's just... fobby? I mean, I don't know. Speaking Japanese with a Western accent is just weird. I probably wouldn't understand a word of what you say. It's not an issue of being a "wannabe", it's about how much you want to delve into a particular culture/language. English aside (because there are way too many different accents out there), if you want to speak a language properly, speak it with the proper accent, or the words just come out sounding incredibly contrived.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_rebel View Post
    I'd say that's just... fobby? I mean, I don't know. Speaking Japanese with a Western accent is just weird. I probably wouldn't understand a word of what you say. It's not an issue of being a "wannabe", it's about how much you want to delve into a particular culture/language. English aside (because there are way too many different accents out there), if you want to speak a language properly, speak it with the proper accent, or the words just come out sounding incredibly contrived.
    Yeah but you have to understand where I'm coming from. I live in America so I'm used to talking to people with different accents.
    I'm not from Texas so people here can tell I'm from some place else because I talk differently even though they understand me perfectly. As long as your pronounciation is correct I don't see why you would want to change your accent. Unless you're worried about people making fun of you or something.

Well I'm black, have dreadlocks and 6'3/190cm I think Japanese people would think me talking in their accent would be even stranger.

Let's take Pyro Pyro for example. He's American like me and he thought this girl talking in either an American or Japanese accent when she switched languages was freaky.
    YouTube - Ayaka's Surprise English Lesson: Ishikawa Rika (2002-04-22)

I'm not saying you should go around saying words like OH-KAH-NEE but I don't see why you have to change your entire accent.

Thanks

Really? I didn't really find it weird.... o.O
    I mean, it's just like listening to Ito Yuna switch back and forth between her American and Japanese accents. In that case you'll probably find Malaysians in Kuala Lumpur strange, because we speak a bunch of different languages and we use different accents for all of them. I guess coming from a multicultural & multilingual nation it's something you kinda get used to....?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast