Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suicides in Japan

Newbie Silver Huntress is off to a good start Silver Huntress's Avatar
    Thanks

Suicides in Japan

I have a friend in my Japanese class who went to Japan to teach English there for Japanese kids. I spoke to her through email several weeks ago when she told about one of her students comitting suicide. It was the scariest thing. She said such and such person was really bright and had parents who are well off and had good friends in school, so I don't understand why all the sudden they decide to kill themselves.

I want to ask your thoughts on why suicides are common in Japan.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Suicides in Japan

Well a lot of it may be psychological disorders do to the many centuries of the clan system when there was a lot of marriage to people who were related.

Another issue could concern the competitiveness of Japanese Society as a whole. When it is so easy to lose ground many people just want to take themselves out of the race.

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Bullying is rampant in Japanese schools. Some children may go to their parents for help only to be told to buck it up, and that after the bullying one becomes a stronger person. Suicide cases concerning bullying aren't enough to surprise the government, nor are the amount of children who choose to just withdraw themselves from school. They could just say they don't want to go to school anymore, and their parents may allow that to happen. Once a child feels like he/she somehow doesn't fit in The Group, it becomes exceedingly difficult to go about everyday life.

In most cases, though, we see children as young as elementary school age starting to go to juku (cram school) after classes in order to get a head start on their entrance exams. The pressure to do well in exams and get into a good school gets to a young child's head from so young an age...if they feel they aren't up to the competition then...

Men commit suicide the most, the figures are up to 70% tashika ni. I believe that the most frequent cause of suicide is unemployment and debt of salarymen who live listless lives. Either they suicide or turn homeless...which is another huge problem in Japan. But these salarymen would rather run away than go home and face their families after they lose their jobs or have financial problems.

Japan has romanticized suicides in their history what with seppuku and suicide love stories. This further pushes the global image of Japan as a suicidal country.
    関西は最高やねん

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sei-chan View Post

Japan has romanticized suicides in their history what with seppuku and suicide love stories. This further pushes the global image of Japan as a suicidal country.
    Never thought about that but you are right. They have romanticised it in their history.

Newbie AlexKeller is off to a good start AlexKeller's Avatar
    Thanks

^That's because they can take any concept and make it ill as hell.
    As for what I think -- The same way I feel about suicide in general: "Whatever."
    If people wanna kill themselves, let em.
    Tis their life.
    Music: www.soundclick.com/alexkkkeller

Newbie heeytenemisa is off to a good start heeytenemisa's Avatar
    Thanks

wow . that terrible. we dont hav any bullies where i liv, not in any high school. i live in LA, Cali. a bit away from hollywood. any bully would get beat by a gang. and employment makes sense too becus japan is so small for its huge population.

Thanks

What is bizarre is that Japan's perfectionist nature comes up even in suicide. On week the third best selling book in Japan was a suicide manual. I read that in a book by a journalist in Japan.

Newbie kimkyok is off to a good start kimkyok's Avatar
    Thanks

Well competition is big over in Japan. Many parents want their kids to be perfect students and what not, bullies run a muck in the schools. So I would see why many kids kill themselves but it's no reason to. I hate mental abuse.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast