Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Swords

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

Re: Swords

Steel is also very heavy, I like to use the lighter metals. Just for extra speed on others.

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

Otaku tupacs_wifey may be famous one day tupacs_wifey may be famous one day tupacs_wifey's Avatar
    Thanks

the Katana is the best sword ive held one itz really nice

HolderOfThe
    DarkChalice's LiL sis

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

if you take steel and trace the blade with titanium (very expensive ya) you get an extremely sharp swrord.

and of the steel isn't too thick it shouldn't be too heavy either.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Otaku kinetic may be famous one day kinetic may be famous one day kinetic's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Howl_of_Fenrir View Post
    ooh, other than Japanese whose else folded the metal for the swords?
    And sorry,if this sound stupid but, what the effect of impure or pure metal to the swords?
    I really don't know.
    Well there have been many, England, Spain, Italy, and many Mid-east contries have over the years produced a folded steel blade. As for the pure and unpure statements, whne folding IRON(basis of all steel), in the old days before refining, it was mixed in with other elements such as tungston, of calcium oxide. the folding pocess or hammer welding would cause the lighter elements to seperate due to the extream heat and pressure of the continued hammering; but the true stenght of pure metal was the basted on the ablity to carbonize it during the tempering prosse.

Quote Originally Posted by viper11025 View Post
    Yes,and no.
    Depends on what you mean by pure.
    Holy?
    Only 1 metal type?
    Only 2 metal types?
    Please explain.
    And yes there are swords with no seeable or detectable defect's.
    What????

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrulz View Post
    ^^Pure metal usually refers to only one type of metal. And sometimes pure metal can be either weaker or stronger than other non-pure metals.
    I think you may have gotten the wrong info..., but in refrence to swords and knivies, pure is the strongest form of carbonized steel.

Quote Originally Posted by viper11025 View Post
    The best metal combo I have found is.
    Steel and a tiny amount of aluminum.
    I whould use a sword like that very well,strength and speed all in one.
    Well strictly speaking aluminum is not a good metal to use in any cutting it is a weak material, with a low melting point. And if mixed in to make an alloy with steel would only cause the loss of integrity of the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrulz View Post
    Steel is also very heavy, I like to use the lighter metals. Just for extra speed on others.
    Such as...please give an examply of the space age metal, steel has been the standard for more then 2500 years.
    MAY YOU DAY BE BRIGHT, AND YOUR ASSOCATION WITH MORONS BE MINIMAL. EXTRA MEDICATION FOR ALL!!!

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

i have 8 swords my self and in my opinon the katana blade is the best
    i have aspanish blade but it isnt as good but its durible wich is cool
    i have one sword im not sure what the blade is made from but its about 2 inches
    thick and very sharp and its made with two blades unlike the katana i have wich only has one blade
    Last edited by HolderOfTheDarkChalice; Aug 10, 2006 at 09:27 AM.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know too terribly much about swords, I must confess, but I would think that part of the katana's illusion of being sharp is its soft iron core, which helps to absorb shock, allowing a person to strike with more force if they're able (I think). I don't really think that makes a katana too great, though. As a matter of fact, I don't find the samurai to be too wonderful either. I think we lose sight, especially on sights which deals with a lot of fantasy like AO, what the samurai actually were and what the katana is capable of.

It is a sword that is steeped in tradition and legend, and part of that is what blinds us. If an arrow, from an english longbow, must be fired from point blank range to penetrate a breastplate, I very much doubt that a katana would go slicing through it. By this same token, we see european warriors as slow and cumbersome in their plate maille and huge, unweildy swords. Plate maille, I believe, was only in use for 100 or so years, because the invention of guns and cannons made them obsolete.

I've heard before, and I could be wrong, that the larger of the european swords were not actually slashing weapons. They were used to bludgeon your opponent with the flat of the blade, then stab them as they lay bleeding and broken. Katana serve a different function, focusing on slashing and stabbing, which makes sense because of the nature of their armor, which was not wholly comprised of metal. It is this same function that would have made them close to useless fighting an opponent armored in maille, which is resistent to slashing, but does not protect against bludgeuning.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ichigo_X View Post
    katana katana katana katana all the wayyyyyyyyyyyy
    Quote Originally Posted by tupacs_wifey View Post
    still the katanas rock.........................
    Posts like this give me headaches.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erosennin View Post
    I've heard before, and I could be wrong, that the larger of the european swords were not actually slashing weapons. They were used to bludgeon your opponent with the flat of the blade, then stab them as they lay bleeding and broken. Katana serve a different function, focusing on slashing and stabbing, which makes sense because of the nature of their armor, which was not wholly comprised of metal. It is this same function that would have made them close to useless fighting an opponent armored in maille, which is resistent to slashing, but does not protect against bludgeuning.
    your right about the bludgeoning thing with the european swords, but a katana's slash can cut at the seams of a knight's armor. and there is no question that a powerful sword swing could at east destroy (if not sever) a limb.

all in all, the leather used by samuri also protects from bludgeoning because it is layered which makes for good shock absorbsion.

therefore katana is still on top

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast