+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Taboo of Personal Touching in Japan

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

The Taboo of Personal Touching in Japan

I heard that Japanese people don't like shaking hands, kissing, or hugging over there. I'm not really a touchy touchy type person but I don't have a problem with someone hugging me but some people do. But they have problems with freaken handshakes.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: The Taboo of Personal Touching in Japan

I heard the total opposite about Japan: That PDA is allowed, and that they do not have a problem with touchy-feely going ons.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    I heard that Japanese people don't like shaking hands, kissing, or hugging over there. I'm not really a touchy touchy type person but I don't have a problem with someone hugging me but some people do. But they have problems with freaken handshakes.
    The Japanese are hygiene junkies. They try to find ways to keep the human contact as limited as possible.
    On the other hand, the Japanese (and especially the youth) are expressing personal feelings in public a lot more these days.
    On the other hand, Americans are extremely open and touchy people in general. Much more than us Europeans, try not to look at everything from an American standpoint.
    Last edited by Hassun; May 10, 2007 at 12:15 PM.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    On the other hand, Americans are extremely open and touchy people in general. Much more than us Europeans, try not to look at everything from an American standpoint.
    What other way to look at it when you are American?

Just saying.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    What other way to look at it when you are American?

Just saying.
    Human of the world. I admit it's hard to ignore the way you were raised and the influence of your society in your thoughts but you have to try to put yourself in their shoes or at least someone else's.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Hassun's right in that the Japanese youth aren't as conservative about touching these days. But there is still some confusion in all this. Like, take the time when I was studying Nagoya. It was winter, we had PE and I was wearing shorts. And a short-sleeved shirt. The girls were horrified, and came up to me in a huddle and sort of group-hugged me to "keep me warm". Sometimes people hugged or made passes at each other jokingly.

But only jokingly.

I definitely didn't see many girls putting their arms around other girls, even though they were besties. I mean, in so many parts of the world we're used to seeing good friends put their arms around their friends' shoulders, waist, whatever, but... in Japan? That, and my farewell was a really awkward moment. There were a lot of goodbyes and waving and well-wishing and all, but uh, it took like a whole minute or two before ONE girl gave me a hug. (gee, thanks for making me feel so appreciated, Meitoh High =/) And subsequently some other girls followed.

Whereas even in other parts of Asia, those hugs would've been expected. *shrugs* Oh well.

Wo chao xi huan ni Mahjong Champion, Shape Game Champion, Solitaire Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion, Looney Tunes Mahjong Champion, Elite Mahjong Champion, MahJong Champion, Mahjong XY Champion mahiru may be famous one day mahiru may be famous one day mahiru's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha... one of the Japanese students in my school... I gave him a hug and he looked at me horrified and said "Boys and girls shouldn't touch eachother!" ^^; Then again, he went to an all boys school... maybe that has something to do with it?
    Wo shi zhen zhen zhen xi huan ni...

Thank you Equinn!! ^-^

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

The Japanese have a thing about personal space. When I went to Japan on holiday with my family the guide told us that passing food is normally not done as your food/plate/bento is part of your "space". We didn't really care that much though since we were all Malaysian in a closed room
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast