+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Taboo of Personal Touching in Japan

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Taboo of Personal Touching in Japan

Passing food??

I'm Malaysian, and I think passing food from chopsticks to chopsticks makes for very bad table manners indeed. But errr... I don't see how that relates to touching?

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

I didn't mean passing chopstick to chopstick (I doubt I have that much skill to pull it off without dropping something ). I mean like giving something from your plate to another person (i.e mum passing something to children and vice versa. It's kinda normal with my family. Like my mum doesn't like raw fish so she gives it to me and I don't like spring onions so I give it to her by putting it on her plate and stuff )

It's more like something "part of your personal space" is not to be err.. for lack of better words, 'invaded' by others. Hence hugging and such is like err 'encroaching on your personal space'?
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha. Oh my. In my family we get really pissed off if people start passing their food around. Of course, asking first, "Mum, d'you want my fish? I don't like it," and then giving it to mum is a different matter.

Ah, I get you. If I'm not wrong, though, the passing of food is linked to some traditions at somber events (i.e. funeral ceremonies), which also accounts for part of the reason why the Japanese don't pass their food here and there. An example is standing your chopsticks upright in your bowl of rice - very bad thing to do at the dinner table, because it looks like joss sticks at a person's funeral.

Oh, and another thing to note - the Japanese don't really shake hands. They might do it during business dealings, but in general, when people meet, shaking hands isn't a normal thing. They just say hello, how do you do. Take it from a girl who embarrassed herself by holding out her hand to several people, all of whom didn't shake it.

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol. I guess we tend to skip the asking. It's like "Oh yeah. She doesn't like that. Oh well." *munch munch munch*

I didn't know they did that in funerals. Interesting. I do know bout the stick the chopsticks in the bowl of rice thing. Guess it'd be a waste of rice to stick joss sticks in rice

Bowing replaces shaking hands I suppose. I don't touch you, you don't touch me, we still show respect. Everyone's happy
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

People are just a little more conservative in Japan. Its just not in they're custom to be overly touchy feely. It ain't all like the animes people. I do hear though in crowded subways men dont have a problem with Personal Touching.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

ahhahahaaaaaa! Miroku! that was bad! ahahahaaaa!

i know that when they move to America, Japanese are a little more open to hugging and stuff like that. that's how my Japanese teacher was! but she liked me and i was a good student, so i guess it helped!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    People are just a little more conservative in Japan. Its just not in they're custom to be overly touchy feely. It ain't all like the animes people. I do hear though in crowded subways men dont have a problem with Personal Touching.
    Thou shalt not grope women on the subway!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2