+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tokyo No-Nos

Otaku shikashu may be famous one day shikashu may be famous one day shikashu's Avatar
    Thanks

Tokyo No-Nos

Here are some tips if your traveling to Japan(Originally from Anime Insider)

Tokyo No-Nos
    How to be a jerk in Japan(putting it simple, don't do this)

Playing With Your Food
    If you even bother to learn how to use chopsticks, stick them straight up in your rice. When the locals around you look horrified, congratulations--you've just made a funeral offering in the middle of a restaurant.

Show Everyone Your Snot
    If you've picked up a nasty cold from wandering around Akihabara in the rain, go ahead and blow your nosein the middle of the street. After all, why wouldn't everyone standing next to you want to hear all the goo in your nose come rocketing out?

Fall Into The Toilet
    The Japanese idea of public facilities--the "traditional" toilet--is pretty much just a hole in the ground. So to be a true American hero, complain about it and then fall in because your leg muscles can't hold you up. That'll be a good time.

Abuse Your Cell Phone
    Completly ignore any keitai (phone) etiquette you may have picked up in the States--especially on the train, which the Japanese treat almost like a shrine--and just blah away.

Show Off Your Tattoos
    Nothing screams Yakuza--the Japanese mafia--like bared tattos. And as you know from all the samurai flicks you've seen, everyone loves the Yakuza! So the first time you go to an onsen (hot spring bath), show those babies off.

That its all the tips from Anime Insider(issue #34). Good Luck

Arigatou Nao chan for the sig^_^
    warning, dangerous diclonious on the lose!

Shu
    Devoted Otaku Shu may be famous one day Shu may be famous one day Shu's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tokyo No-Nos

kool, thanx for the advice!

Newbie Nao Chan may be famous one day Nao Chan may be famous one day Nao Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

thanx for the advice
    i'll put that in mind if it happened and i traveled to Japan

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooh, interesting, interesting. I don't know where, but I've heard of the tattoo thing before (I think they'd look the other way though, if it were someone like... Angelina Jolie watzing around in a bikini... despite the incredible randomness of the scene anyway XD)

Quote Originally Posted by shikashu
    Playing With Your Food
    If you even bother to learn how to use chopsticks, stick them straight up in your rice. When the locals around you look horrified, congratulations--you've just made a funeral offering in the middle of a restaurant.
    I saw this one in one of my Japanese books =) You know it's said it's also rude (in general, not just Tokyo) to:

-Vertically roll chipsticks between one's open palms

-Lay chopsticks along the right and left of one's dishes like you'd do with spoons/forks

-Stab food with your chopsticks

-Bite/Suck on your chopsticks

-Use chopsticks to slide your dishes across the table

This would be a good thread to just put in random Japanese ettiquette you learn as advice for future travelers ^.^
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Otaku RPGirl may be famous one day RPGirl may be famous one day RPGirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Mega magic thanks, don't want to be rude in Tokyo

Newbie Atomic Muffin may be famous one day Atomic Muffin may be famous one day Atomic Muffin's Avatar
    Thanks

Fall Into The Toilet
    The Japanese idea of public facilities--the "traditional" toilet--is pretty much just a hole in the ground. So to be a true American hero, complain about it and then fall in because your leg muscles can't hold you up. That'll be a good time.
    No doubt that would offend someone. And that would really suck if it happened... it probably has...

Show Off Your Tattoos
    Nothing screams Yakuza--the Japanese mafia--like bared tattos. And as you know from all the samurai flicks you've seen, everyone loves the Yakuza! So the first time you go to an onsen (hot spring bath), show those babies off.
    XD This one amused me. So... don't show your tattoos, right? @.@ Not that I have any... but, would that mean that ONLY the Yakuza have tattoos? Not everyday normal people?
    §Myspace§

°Siggy by the wonderful Zaraki Kenpachi°

Devoted Otaku Nympho may be famous one day Nympho may be famous one day Nympho's Avatar
    Thanks

Got the tattoos covered!

Did you fall into a toilet?

I'm a glass child. I am Hannah's regrets. Monster.

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Did you get that from Anime Insider???I think I have that ish...........I plan on doing every one of them......Except falling in the toilet.
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast