Closed Thread

Thread: Travel to Japan

Choas Jon f may be famous one day Jon f may be famous one day Jon f's Avatar
    Thanks

Travel to Japan

Well, I am not sure where to post it but here. Hope its rigth. Well, I am planing and hoping in going to Japan at the end of this year but I don't have a clue what to do to make myself ready or what to do before I go. So, can anyone give me advise like where to go or what to do or what things you can do over there and what not? Beside getting the passport. Thanks
    Perfection is dull

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Travel to Japan

When my dad was in Japan on business he said the people are extremely friendly.
    As for sites to visit, I say go for some old Sengoku era castles, those would be interesting for sure... but then again I am the Samurai Dude!

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

best advice i can give you is to buy this book before going and read it. This tells everything you need to know.

Amazon.com: Frommer's Japan (Frommer's Complete) (9780470181003): Beth Reiber, Janie Spencer: Books

A more in depth guide for tokyo alone exists:

Amazon.com: Frommer's Tokyo (Frommer's Complete) (9780470181553): Beth Reiber: Books

I lasted in Japan three years with these books. They are better than other guide books. Trust me. But when the time comes for you to actually take the trip please let me know when and where you are going. That will help us help you. As far as lodging goes I know some people in Kyoto that will open their homes for a nominal fee. They are locals and know the best sights, you will not fall into any tourist traps with them.
    Other than that don't go with guided tours, they rip you off. Make your own plans.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

What you should do, is plan on what you're going to visit. Just going with a "we'll see" attitude will probably make you miss a lot of interesting things.
    Other than that, Japan is a very modern and safe country. You don't need to take any special precautions. (Unless you're going to go hiking in the mountains or something.) If you're planning to go for a drive, remember that they drive on the left.

Just go there with an open mind and realise that most Japanese speak ONLY Japanese. Luckily, most signs have both the kanji and romaji on them. At least in the more urban areas.

Newbie Taikaw is off to a good start
    Thanks

Just learn some basic Japanese, like "where is the bathroom", and stuff like that. Always a good idea. If you plan on going to any historical sites, you should briefly look over some of the history of the area before you go. I've found that it increases the fun when you do that.
    Also, if you're going to take the trains, take a train map. In Tokyo there are always English train maps in the train stations, but just print it out from the internet. It's safer that way.
    Also, plan. Planning always helps.
    Oh yeah, always take a towel with you, a lot of places don't have paper towel dispensers or hand dryers in the public bathrooms. Also, small trash bags will help. Don't know how it is about places other than Tokyo, but Tokyo rarely has trash bins.
    especially if you are going to Akihabara or some other crowded place, print off a map of the area you are going(since it's easy to get lost), as well as how to get to that area by train, unless you don't mind the expensive taxis.

Which area are you planning to go to? Why are you planning on going to Japan?

Choas Jon f may be famous one day Jon f may be famous one day Jon f's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taikaw View Post
    Just learn some basic Japanese, like "where is the bathroom", and stuff like that. Always a good idea. If you plan on going to any historical sites, you should briefly look over some of the history of the area before you go. I've found that it increases the fun when you do that.
    Also, if you're going to take the trains, take a train map. In Tokyo there are always English train maps in the train stations, but just print it out from the internet. It's safer that way.
    Also, plan. Planning always helps.
    Oh yeah, always take a towel with you, a lot of places don't have paper towel dispensers or hand dryers in the public bathrooms. Also, small trash bags will help. Don't know how it is about places other than Tokyo, but Tokyo rarely has trash bins.
    especially if you are going to Akihabara or some other crowded place, print off a map of the area you are going(since it's easy to get lost), as well as how to get to that area by train, unless you don't mind the expensive taxis.

Which area are you planning to go to? Why are you planning on going to Japan?
    So there is NO TP!!! Are you for real. And the reason I am going is because hmm I have to tell a quick backgroud history. I am join the army when I was 17 and right now I am in a kinda of a year rest(swipe to the national guard for a year) and once this year is over I plan to foucs everything on making the army my career and also taking online class. So I thought I go to some places I always want to go or made me interesting. I have always love japan because of its history, and how many battles and wars were fought there, kendo, and its school system. That and from seeing alot of anime that had and has some places that are real in japan.

Also in doing so, I am going to see two of the base to see if they got any slots open and maybe get transfer over there.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiDude128 View Post
    When my dad was in Japan on business he said the people are extremely friendly.
    As for sites to visit, I say go for some old Sengoku era castles, those would be interesting for sure... but then again I am the Samurai Dude!
    Same here, love samurai. Shamefully sometimes I think it would of been great if I was born then because then wars were fought by ones own strength and not just weapons that can kill afair.(Not saiding thats bad when you are getting shot)

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    best advice i can give you is to buy this book before going and read it. This tells everything you need to know.

Amazon.com: Frommer's Japan (Frommer's Complete) (9780470181003): Beth Reiber, Janie Spencer: Books

A more in depth guide for tokyo alone exists:

Amazon.com: Frommer's Tokyo (Frommer's Complete) (9780470181553): Beth Reiber: Books

I lasted in Japan three years with these books. They are better than other guide books. Trust me. But when the time comes for you to actually take the trip please let me know when and where you are going. That will help us help you. As far as lodging goes I know some people in Kyoto that will open their homes for a nominal fee. They are locals and know the best sights, you will not fall into any tourist traps with them.
    Other than that don't go with guided tours, they rip you off. Make your own plans.
    Touris traps? How come you live over there 3 years if I meant know. And what do you recommed to go and see?
    Perfection is dull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon f For This Useful Post:

!beast (Feb 01, 2010)

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah..be open minded and don't get angry if some makes fun of you for being different, since they've haven't seen an actual person of your stature before in person.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

This thread has been inactive for more than 2 months now. That's a dead thread rematche.

Closed Thread