+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 21

Thread: Uses of English in Japan?

  1. #1
    ★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Emerald island (Eire) (Ireland)
    Posts
    1,834
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts

    Uses of English in Japan?

    Uses of English in Japan?


    I wonder if Japan will become a bilingual country in the near future. Everyone that i've met online, well almost everyone, speaks English or has studied it and knows the basics.

    Many people say that they need English for their careers. So if Japan has become very used to English and it seems like a very important language to them, then can we expect that Japanese society will have a drastic change in the way they speak and communicate with eachother and the world?

    perhaps soon Japanese society will not need the Japanese language and even some people will not learn Japanese as kids.

    Anyway, what i'm saying is that i think English is becoming like a second language in Japan that everybody knows at least to a certain level. Any opinions?

  2. #2
    Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Posts
    2,027
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 42 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    I think is perhaps better suited in the Japanese Culture section.

    ~Moving~
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

  3. #3
    Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    IHouse
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    people have saying if the world is going on like this..the whole world will be speaking English...it depends on you...i think that allot of the Americans and other English speaking countries are going there allot..and English is useful because the richest country America ( i don't think so) speaks English and they can do businesses with each other.

  4. #4
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by equinn View Post
    Uses of English in Japan?


    I wonder if Japan will become a bilingual country in the near future. Everyone that i've met online, well almost everyone, speaks English or has studied it and knows the basics.

    Many people say that they need English for their careers. So if Japan has become very used to English and it seems like a very important language to them, then can we expect that Japanese society will have a drastic change in the way they speak and communicate with each other and the world?

    perhaps soon Japanese society will not need the Japanese language and even some people will not learn Japanese as kids.

    Anyway, what i'm saying is that i think English is becoming like a second language in Japan that everybody knows at least to a certain level. Any opinions?
    Actually, I think the Japanese have major problems with incorporating English in their education.

    1) They will not give up the Japanese language, that's just absurd. English might be a popular language but it has never replaced another country's own language. And it certainly won't replace Japanese. Do you have any idea how nationalistic they are?

    2) The Japanese don't thoroughly learn to speak English and most of them totally suck at it.

    3) Another obstacle is katakana. It's Japanese that usually sounds like English but it sure isn't. It's a phonetic interpretation of English (and some other languages) transferred to Japanese. This poses extra difficulties for the Japanese who wish to learn proper English.

  5. #5
    Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    IHouse
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    Actually, I think the Japanese have major problems with incorporating English in their education.

    1) They will not give up the Japanese language, that's just absurd. English might be a popular language but it has never replaced another country's own language. And it certainly won't replace Japanese. Do you have any idea how nationalistic they are?

    2) The Japanese don't thoroughly learn to speak English and most of them totally suck at it.

    3) Another obstacle is katakana. It's Japanese that usually sounds like English but it sure isn't. It's a phonetic interpretation of English (and some other languages) transferred to Japanese. This poses extra difficulties for the Japanese who wish to learn proper English.
    i don't agree with the 1at point because now allot of people my age(20 and under.) doesn't really care about their languages ( not me) but allot of people are learning English instead of Japaneses because they think is cooler.

  6. #6
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    i don't agree with the 1at point because now allot of people my age(20 and under.) doesn't really care about their languages ( not me) but allot of people are learning English instead of Japaneses because they think is cooler.
    But can they speak and write their own language? The answer is "yes".
    And has it replaced a main language? The answer is "no".

  7. #7
    Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    IHouse
    Posts
    362
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    i think..or the scientist think in the future the world might speak only English. just like America/Canada allot of people only speak English not there own language, and those people are evolving.

  8. #8
    I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pretiacruento
    Posts
    7,700
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Uses of English in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    i think..or the scientist think in the future the world might speak only English. just like America/Canada allot of people only speak English not there own language, and those people are evolving.
    Oh really? And exactly where did you read that and who are those scientists?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. my english test story lol have a look
    By equinn in forum AO Fans Clan
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2006, 07:56 AM
  2. English?
    By SamuraiDude128 in forum Japanese Culture
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: Sep 26, 2006, 07:45 AM
  3. Girls's and Boy's English
    By HieisLove in forum The Chat Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 24, 2006, 04:02 AM
  4. english vs japanese
    By moongoddess in forum Anime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 23, 2006, 09:42 PM
  5. English Dubbings.
    By Fudo in forum Anime
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Apr 11, 2006, 05:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts