+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uses of English in Japan?

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Uses of English in Japan?

it was in my geography book...and allot of people is learning english because is very useful to do with business's and tech.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

... Canada never had a language... they were the bastard child of France and England...

and, OF COURSE you need to know English when you're in America, that's the NATIONAL language!

Japanese may think that English is cool... that's becuz it's POPULAR! popular is a fad! fads fade! you know, they're starting to think French is pretty cool too! are they going to make French their national language? of course not!

>.> sorry... i just don't see a country that's been around for 5,000 years giving up their language and culture becuz it's "cool"

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me just point out some things that Abu Dhabi missed (as I usually do)...

I don't exactly approve of the idea that Abu Dhabi using the term "NATIONAL language" for America, but that is what it is.

Native Americans, Brazillians, whatever. The advantage of English is found, but it is NOT going to be the worldwide language for as long as culture exists.

And I know this might offend some, but to be raised in the Northern Americas drain you from the understandment of what a culture really is. And if you aren't affected, then thank the higher beings.

If you are raised in a culture, you KNOW that English isn't going to be the main language anytime soon... can it be the language we use for business and professional conversations? Probably. But it won't be the main language at any time.

Take Philippines. Most of the population knows English, as well as some know Spanish. But is that their main language? No.
    We Filipinos may use English, and some of us also use Spanish while we're speaking to each other? But do you know why? There are some words that aren't in our languages that is in English, and in Spanish as well. But when "English-dependent" people aren't around (or when we're not talking to you), do you know what 97% of our conversation consists of? That's right, our native language.
    ...which our national language is tagalog, though, not all Filipinos think that's right... but it is still listed as our national language.

English is useful. But is it the best? No.

It lacks several cultural views. It can't reach several meanings that different cultures give out.

When English says "demon"... they can also say "evil" and any other meanings or words associated with it.

But if a Japanese were to say "demon", it means all those words and meanings within their culture, into one word. Same with Chinese. Same with Korean. Same with Brazillian. Same with Hawaiian. Same with the several Native Americans. There is a less chance of misunderstanding because of CULTURE.

English needs specifications due to the completely different ideals, experiences, and beginnings of the users.

Culture is in effect, it is real, and it is true.

Even though many Japanese youths find English as "cool"... And many of them try to mimick it in the most ridiculous of ways (the same as when an American otaku tries to mimick a whole Japanese conversation)... it will not replace the main language unless they DECIDE TO.

There are many hazards into changing a main language, because that can change a whole culture and outlook of life.

And if I may speak as a user of the english language, it can blind the willingness to truly understand another's culture. As many times, a user of English will almost completely misunderstand the feelings within a word by exaggerating it or completely misinterpreting it.

English may be... "cool".
    English may fill in a lot of gaps in languages.
    English may specify things to the point of aburdity.

But just the same as other languages...

English cannot read every word that exists to its full extent.
    English cannot replace every word that exists to its full extent.
    English cannot describe every word that exists to its full extent.

English is d*mn useful. But it will NOT become the main language of the world.

It doesn't matter even if 99% of the world USES the language, it isn't the true language of the world.
    The fact is, it is only useful.
    That doesn't replace something as permanent as a culture, as a sight in life.

Done.

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    ... Canada never had a language... they were the bastard child of France and England...

and, OF COURSE you need to know English when you're in America, that's the NATIONAL language!

Japanese may think that English is cool... that's becuz it's POPULAR! popular is a fad! fads fade! you know, they're starting to think French is pretty cool too! are they going to make French their national language? of course not!

>.> sorry... i just don't see a country that's been around for 5,000 years giving up their language and culture becuz it's "cool"
    don't be cruel..but american is kind of british too..since the british was there...and if you look at the state LA there is allot of french ppl...and why don't you think that you don't need to learn english in canada?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ well, there's lots of lots of people in Los Angeles! I live there! >.> but i think we kinda split from Britian a loooong time ago, in both as a country and as a culture...

^-^ i did not mean that Canadians have no need for English, i just meant that their language and their culture is stuck between French and British...

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

English may be becoming their second language but Japanese will always be their main language. It's like over here all spanish speaking people talk in spanish when they have something they don't want others to hear. Japan upholds their ancestors traditions so I never see them forgeting Japanese.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by equinn View Post

Anyway, what i'm saying is that i think English is becoming like a second language in Japan that everybody knows at least to a certain level. Any opinions?
    There are already many countries out there which makes the learning of english compulsory early on in schools. Compulsory english-language education isn't done because a country is moving away from its native language but rather because english has rapidly become the international language. For example, all airplane radio traffic is done exclusively in english (much to the chargrin of the French). Two international businessmen may not know each other's language, but chances are they can speak to each other in english.

English is pretty much the standard language of the scientific community. The only people who fight this are, once again, the French and the Chinese engineers who publish crap so f'ing fast that they don't have time to get stuff properly translated because their work will get stolen while waiting for the translator to finish.

The Japanese, like many other nations, recognize the importance of english internationally and so promote its learning. No one is going to lose their national language or identity from learning another language.
    Last edited by Zui Quan; Jan 12, 2007 at 02:02 PM.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post

Oh and hassun, english is pretty much the standard language of the scientific community. The only people who fight this are, once again, the French and the Chinese engineers who publish crap so f'ing fast that they don't have time to get stuff properly translated because their work will get stolen while waiting for the translator to finish.
    Did I deny that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast