+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: weird question about things i've read.

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

weird question about things i've read.

so i'm reading this manga, i'm sorry but i forgot which. and a scene pops up about a girl riding in this really packed train, and she starts getting 'molested' by a guy in the train. Of course the brave male lead finds out and kicks his booty and what not. But this isn't the first time i've seen this in mangas. In fact I've seen the 'on the train molesting' quite often happen to anime girls before. We don't even have trains where i'm from (not any that carry people) so for those of you who know japan and their trains (especially since i want to study abroad there, i want to know what i'm getting into) is this normal? does this really happen in japan? is it not safe for girls to be alone in trains like this?
    every rose has a thorn

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: weird question about things i've read.

Yes it is safe. But during rush hour when trains are packed girls were complaining of frotteurs ( I probably misspelled that) or people who get sexual stimulation from dry humping unwilling women. So during rush hour the first couple of cars of the trains or subways are reserved for women, but only during rush hour in the morning. But you get complaints of this in many places other than Japan, in fact everywhere there is mass transit and tightly pact people. A definition of frotteur can be found below.
    http://en.wikipedia.wiki/Frotteurism

Now to the moderators who love to hand out infractions: "dry hump" May not be a family friendly. But it is the best way I can think to describe a frotteur. The term is in no way demeaning to the women who experience such an assault as it is a characteristic of the sickos who would do such a thing.
    Last edited by beast; Mar 17, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

There was a novel written in Japan about such an event, who's aftermath and consequences was chronicled on the 2-chan forum, which eventually spawned both a TV series, as well as a theatrical movie...

Densha Otoko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

thanks. like i said, public transportation is practically nonexisting where i live so i wouldn't know. the fact that they save the first two trains for females is very reassuring. and yeah i'll take a look at that densha otoko.
    every rose has a thorn

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Check out the book as well as the movie. Both were very touching. The book (not the manga, never read the mangas) is a copy of the replies he got from the forum as they guided him out of the Akihabara denizen to the world of romance and dating.

Newbie Seiwei is off to a good start Seiwei's Avatar
    Thanks

For my Japanese university's orientation before school started, they had a special woman's orientation where they warned us about chikan (perverts, usually specifically used to refer to train perverts), and brought in a Japanese student who gave an account of this happening to her, and how even if people noticed, no one helped her, because it's common to ignore a problem in Japan. Japanese women don't speak up. But they also said that chikan would most probably not go after a foreign woman, because foreign women, especially outspoken Americans, would lash out on the Japanese man and they're scared of that. Foreign people on trains usually have that "gaijin bubble" around them anyways - if there is room on the train then expect to not have any Japanese standing/sitting around you.

So I've never seen or experienced it, but it must have happened often enough that nowadays they actually have the voice sounding out a warning on the trains: "Chikan ha hanzai desu" or perverts are criminals...just letting the lonely salarymen know that what they were doing wasn't right at all (in case they thought it was okay).

But it's okay, because if they really still wanted to do it they have densha go-go places where these men can go to a room that looks exactly like a train car, with a single lady in it holding onto a the train strap just like she would on her way to work, and the man can emulate the whole densha chikan thing. They even have to do it secretly because an employee posed as a train operator might make their rounds in the room and the chikan has to pretend that nothing is happening. Totally role-play.

Let's not get into Rape-play.

Thanks

really? u know i never took that into consideration. you're probably very right, i hear that about japan, that outsiders stick out a lot and have trouble meshing with society (but this is just from movies and books, i could be very wrong. again i totally admit to being quite ignorant on this fact). i'm very american looking i guess you can say, and yeah very loud, so if i see from that persepective people will just avoid me! that makes me feel so much better. Japan here i come!
    every rose has a thorn

Banned kibums is off to a good start
    Thanks

I have heard about that story too. I have watched densha otoko as well, it kinda shows the scene you told us. But I dont think it is totally unsafe to ride in trains though. Japan is a well-guarded country as far as I know.
    Last edited by Zev; Apr 02, 2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Removed advertisment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast