Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is the japanese word for phoenix?

Otaku Jewel of Atlantis Champion, Project 156 Champion, Suna Sudoku Champion, Virus 3 Hex Options Champion kaki tori kaizoku is off to a good start kaki tori kaizoku's Avatar
    Thanks

what is the japanese word for phoenix?

i have a question what is the japanese word of phoenix?
    im creating a manga and one of the char. gets reborn like a phoenix what more fitting name is there.
    and i have another question why in animes/mangas does the phoenix r called suzaku?

thanx for ur help in advance

My Youtube My Deviant
    Goal: 363/500 posts to elite member

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: what is the japanese word for phoenix?

The Chinese Phoenix represents the Empress and is the second-most respected creature, second only to the Dragon. The Phoenix is the leader of all birds. the phoenix is called hō-ō and also goes by the name fushichō ("immortal bird"). In Japan, the phoenix goes by another name, the Suzaku/Red Bird. One of the Shijin, the four guardians of the compass. Each guardian is associated with a direction in the compass. The Suzaku is the guardian of the south.

It is debatable whether the Suzaku/Red Bird is simply the Japanese version of the Phoenix or if both legends are merged together to make one.

tl;dr version
    Basically... The Suzaku and the Phoenix are essentially just the same thing.
    The answer to your thread title question is hō-ō. Just like the Pokemon. Ho-oh.

More information:
    I love my girlfriend.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Ho-oh yep like pokemon but pokemon makes the phoenix one of the coolest mythical beasts look like elvis in a bird form look at what they did to it.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The GunGrave of Trigun View Post
    Ho-oh yep like pokemon but pokemon makes the phoenix one of the coolest mythical beasts look like elvis in a bird form look at what they did to it.
    What? Elvis in a bird form? Keep in mind that Pokémon is NOT the subject at hand here.

The phoenix you talk about is 鳳凰 or Chinese Phoenix called Fenghuang. The Japanese word for the phoenix we know is just フェニックス (phoenix in katakana).

Newbie Asian Guy is off to a good start
    Thanks

To correct one of the member here, Suzaku is the guardian for the world North side. It is Genbu the one who guard the South side.

of the AMC Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell may be famous one day Innerhell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Asian Guy View Post
    To correct one of the member here, Suzaku is the guardian for the world North side. It is Genbu the one who guard the South side.
    So apparently, every single mythology textbook and website is wrong? It must be a conspiracy then. Everything that I can find states that Suzaku is the Bird of the South. I've got my sources. Where are yours?

another link
    I love my girlfriend.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Suzaku is not a word for "pheonix", it is the name of a specific pheonix... one of the four Chinese animals denoting directions. It's Chinese feng shui/decorative motif that was imported to Japan during Heian.

"hi no tori" - firebird
    "fenikkusu" - pheonix
    and
    "fushichou" - pheonix

all work and are in common use.

Though if you want to write a comic book... how about the incredibly radical and refreshingly un-obnoxious option of naming them in a language you can actually use? I don't know... like English? O-o;

Yeah... I'm mean. But really, this should be common sense.

>_<

*having a bad fandom day*

RAWR~ RAWRRAWR!
    Last edited by tsurara; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Newbie Asian Guy is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Innerhell View Post
    So apparently, every single mythology textbook and website is wrong? It must be a conspiracy then. Everything that I can find states that Suzaku is the Bird of the South. I've got my sources. Where are yours?

another link
    Suzaku who are a fire bird are symbolizing the sky [ north ], while Genbu who are a giant turtle with trees grow on it's shell symbolizing earth [ south ]. I know this based on some Japanese belief [ it is not imported from China ] it is related with beliefs/religion that are beliefed by some Japanese.

By the way, east guarded by a dragon and that is the reason why Dragon muth known to come from the East [ Asia ].

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast