+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Is The Way Of the Samurai?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What Is The Way Of the Samurai?

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    Well I could not been more specific on this one, I was asking how was the way of the Samurai more of the reality like; what was it really meant for I do get the part that it was meant to protect its' people but what was it truly for?
    You might as well ask 'What are table manners for???' 'Bushido' by itself didn't have any outlying purpose or goals (such as establishing itself as the one true relgion, or the conquest of the known world). It was simply a behavior standard for members of the ruling class, that the ruling class were expected to adhere too. Naturally, some people would try to cheat and avoid strictly following the rules, but as the story of the 47 Ronin shows, there are consequences if your caught doing so. And the cultural standards of 'Bushido' weren't limited to people in positions of power. If I remember correctly, the youngest of the 47 Ronin was only 14 when he died...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Bushido wasn't even a term used until the samurai were struggling as they were no longer needed as warriors in a peaceful society. It is more a modern term to name the general samurai ethos at a time when samurai were no longer needed.

When samurai were still around, many of them had different ideas of what this "Bushido" is. Bushido literally means "Way of the Warrior," but many had different views on what a warrior is. Many felt that it was an ultimate honor to die fighting their master. Some, even after Japan was peaceful and without war, would kill themselves if their master died or was dishonored. But the famous samurai/ronin Musashi disagreed with them, saying that continuing to live and be of use to one's master and the Japanese society made more sense than killing yourself, and that the students were being taught how to die honorably, but not how to live and struggle. Almost all samurai, especially Musashi, believe that the way of the warrior was their duty to perfect their swordsmanship and not to fear the battlefield.

Bushido is closely linked with Zen Buddhism: a warrior's form of Buddhism. It teaches them the important Bushido aspect, to live every day to the fullest because you do not know when you will die/be killed.

I just touched the surface. Bushido is really as hard to explain as Zen Buddhism, except there are so many different views on Bushido that it's even more confusing.

And not all the samurai died out, FYI, most wandered around until the Japanese law said that they could work in the government or as peasants (because samurai were forbidden to 'lower' themselves to working class position until a turnaround in Japanese thought).
    The samurai abolished its own class after Commodore Perry intruded in their land, and they played a huge role in reforming the country.

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

You might as well ask 'What are table manners for???' 'Bushido' by itself didn't have any outlying purpose or goals (such as establishing itself as the one true relgion, or the conquest of the known world). It was simply a behavior standard for members of the ruling class, that the ruling class were expected to adhere too. Naturally, some people would try to cheat and avoid strictly following the rules, but as the story of the 47 Ronin shows, there are consequences if your caught doing so. And the cultural standards of 'Bushido' weren't limited to people in positions of power. If I remember correctly, the youngest of the 47 Ronin was only 14 when he died...
    You are correct by that and admire the true story of it but did not understand the placement of the honorable position of a samurai so I will indeed try to ask something that I do not know of in other words ill' make sure if there is something I need help with ill' assure to do so, thank you.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    Has anyone heard of an old saying like what are different ways of the samurai which only occurs during the late 1900's or probably 1800's?
    I do not Understand the part of the Samurai Ritual.
    No matter what anyone tells you, seppuku is not the answer!

God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by divine_punishment View Post
    No matter what anyone tells you, seppuku is not the answer!
    Well what other answer can I say when I have no idea to what im' looking for the reason I put this Topic is have an idea what major events happened in the past during the rebellion of the japanese.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2