Closed Thread
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your name in japanese

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What's your name in japanese

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed1P5
    . What most of you are doing is finding the pronunciation of your name in Japanese which isn't really finding you name in Japanese, it's more like how you would say it with a Japanese accent. And if you were to write the pronuncation it would be writen in katakana, and therefore would not really mean anything.
    Unless you found Kanji for it

I hadn't seen this before, but this is on the top of the pages:

Quote Originally Posted by Takase
    This list features phonetic translations to katakana and hiragana and a literal translation to kanji. The literal translation to kanji translates the original meaning of the name. By using a phonetic and literal translation one can capture both the pronunciation and the meaning of a name.
    So it sounds like he took the literal translation of your own name and translated it to a Japanese word that sounds similar to it..? That would explain why several names end up with the same kanji results.
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Laid Back Otaku Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun may be famous one day Tano-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: What's your name in japanese

hmm....what a coincidence...my japanese name is "Tano" (my username)...it just kinda popped in my head one day and i don't have a clue what it means...lol...

Newbie Charmed1P5 may be famous one day Charmed1P5 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charmed1P5
    . What most of you are doing is finding the pronunciation of your name in Japanese which isn't really finding you name in Japanese, it's more like how you would say it with a Japanese accent. And if you were to write the pronuncation it would be writen in katakana, and therefore would not really mean anything.

this line was writen by Lil_G135->Unless you found Kanji for it
    Technically if you found the name in katakana it still not the same thng as if it were in hiragana. If it's in katakana evern if you found the same sylbols in a kanji character it still isn't a translation. It would be more like a pun, per say(i don't actualy know who to spell that).

Perhaps you misunderstood becasue you don't know the differences in the Katakana and Hiragana alphebet. Katakana is an alpabet specifically used for non Japanese words. that's why it would be a pronuciation not a translation. So in other words Katana can not be translated.
    Last edited by Charmed1P5; Jun 08, 2006 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, no, I know the difference between hiragana and katakana quite well My response was to what you said last, the "And if you were to write the pronuncation it would be writen in katakana, and therefore would not really mean anything." part. I'm saying if you found kanji for that pronunciation then it would give your name a meaning (not a translation).

Was that a bit clearer? ^_^;
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Newbie Akemi may be famous one day Akemi may be famous one day Akemi's Avatar
    Thanks

hum... actually there is an site for it i think... yeah tehre is i just been tehre but gosh i cant remember whats the name of it is... oh well i think if u type "whats my name in japanese" in Google u might find something! Well for me it looks like my name in japanese is like the same?? ? i mena that my really name is Dasha, and thats a russian name, and yes i am russian! Lol, but anyways it looks like my nam ewood be the same in both! Cause in japanese tehy have Da, they have Sha, so it all kind of adds up to beeing Dasha in anycase! So well thats that. but if u have trouble finding out about ure name i think this shood help ya! Japanese language doesnt have Ls in it, but it has Rs instede. And like in sometimes u will have to add like... if i want to say "for example" a name like Brian, i will have to say it as Buraen. or something like that. So well u can find somethings in the internet anyhow! thanks for the cool post thou, i will try to find the name of that site again!
    LuVe
    ~Akemi~
    P.S. i am sorry for any missples!
    Me first...You second...And the others...
    LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_G135
    Oh, no, I know the difference between hiragana and katakana quite well My response was to what you said last, the "And if you were to write the pronuncation it would be writen in katakana, and therefore would not really mean anything." part. I'm saying if you found kanji for that pronunciation then it would give your name a meaning (not a translation).

Was that a bit clearer? ^_^;
    no it wouldn't. It doesn't work like that. the pernunnceation would be the same yes, but that wouldn't be the mean of your name. i earlier use the name Ian as an example. Okay the meaning of the name Ian is gracious. But the meaning of the kanji pronounced "i-a-n" is comfort. so yes looking up a kanji with the same pronuciation would give you a meaning but not the meaning of your name and it would inactually not be correct.

Besides eventhough the pronunciations are the same katakana is on its' own. where as hiragana and kanji are interchangable, katakana and kanji are not.

*the meaning of Ian was found on behindthename.com

Thanks

so yes looking up a kanji with the same pronuciation would give you a meaning but not the meaning of your name and it would inactually not be correct.
    Exactly. I did say "if you found kanji for that pronunciation then it would give your name a meaning (not a translation)." And forgive me for being a little confused, but it seems like you're trying to say that names only come with one meaning or something. Are you? (sorry for misunderstanding if ur not ^_^0)

Besides eventhough the pronunciations are the same katakana is on its' own. where as hiragana and kanji are interchangable, katakana and kanji are not.
    That's true. So that's why you'd find kanji for the entire name, instead of just parts i.e. America's kanji ->亜米利加
    Last edited by Lil_G135; Jun 10, 2006 at 06:16 AM.
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

Thanks

Exactly. I did say "if you found kanji for that pronunciation then it would give your name a meaning (not a translation)." And forgive me for being a little confused, but it seems like you're trying to say that names only come with one meaning or something. Are you? (sorry for misunderstanding if ur not ^_^0)
    And i agreed it would give you a meaning, but it wouldn't be the actual mean of the name in english(or whatever non-japanese language). and No, i'm not saying that names only have one meaning, I'm saying that the meaning that you find for the kanji is well, the meaning of the kanji. It has no relivance to your name in katakana.

That's true. So that's why you'd find kanji for the entire name, instead of just parts i.e. America's kanji ->亜米利加
    That's not America's kanji. In Katakana america is a-me-ri-ka.(アメリヵ) But the Japanese word for america is 'Beikoku' and the kanji is only two characters, but the hiragana is four, be-i-ko-ku(though it would hardly ever be writen in hiragana).

I think i see what you tried to do. You took the sylabols of the katakana and then found the kanji to match is sylabol. Even if the katakana could be coverted to kanji that's not how you would do it. But like i have say in earlier posts you can't put katakana words in kanji. The kanji you wrote above doesn't really man anything nor if you try to translate it does it make any sense.

There isn't a kanji character for every sylabol the kanji system(?) doesn't work that way. Kanji usually stand for a word. the numbers for example:
    ㈠ said 'ichi' means 1
    ㈡ ni 2
    ㈢ san 3
    ㈣ shi 4
    ㈤ go 5
    ㈥ roku 6
    ㈦ shichi 7
    ㈧ hachi 8
    ㈨ ku or kyu 9
    ㈩ ju 10
    *Please notive that the characters are encased in parentheses(don't ask why).

Kanji have their own meaning where hiragana and katakan are equivelent to letters.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast