Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Women Samurai

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

Women Samurai

I thought this was a pretty cool video about women samurai.
    YouTube - The Last Samurai Women

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    This is interesting. Nice to know women can do anything.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku Kaijudozero may be famous one day Kaijudozero may be famous one day
    Thanks
    very interesting indeed
    a female botosai?
    Emotions tend to lose their strength when put in words, So I prefer to speak only what is absolutely necessary..

Kaijudozero.deviantart.com

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudozero View Post
    a female botosai?
    Batosai? Far from it. She killed 6 people and then died.

I personally have never heard of her. There were no such thing as women Samurai. Sure, there were women who might have cut their hair to fake themselves as men, as in other cultures and time period (Joan of Arc for example). However, the primary role of women of the samurai class had been to support the family and their husbands. Women were responsible for raising their children with proper samurai upbringing.

One note, though.... That YouTube video was crappy, everything was done in still images and the music was constantly cut off and on.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not quite silverskater, Asia and Japan has long traditions of women being trained to fight. No they weren't usually generals but they were trained warriors.

Women Warriors of Japan
    Bushi women were trained mainly with the naginata because of its versatility against all manner of enemies and weapons. It was generally the responsibility of women to protect their homes rather than go off to battle, so it was important that they become skilled in a few weapons that offered the best range of techniques to defend against marauders who often attacked on horseback. Therefore, it makes sense that women were sometimes adept with the bow due to its effectiveness at long-range and often with the naginata as it was an effective weapon against horse riders at closer range. In addition, most women are weakest at close quarters where men can bring their greater weight and strength to bear. A strong, lithe woman armed with a naginata could keep all but the best warriors at a distance, where the advantages of strength, weight, or sword counted for less.
    From the tenth century on, Japan can never be said to have been at peace. But in 1467, the whole country was swept into chaos in what became known as the Sengoku Jidai (Warring States Period, circa 1467 c.e. through 1568 c.e.). It was a time in which all social classes were swept up into war. Feudal domains were sometimes stripped of almost all healthy men, who hired themselves out as nobushi (mercenaries), were drafted into armies, or slaughtered in battle. As a result of this rampant warfare, women were often the last defense of towns and castles.
    It's no different then Europe during feudal times. If a nobel was taken prisoner they could be held captive for more then a decade. In their absence their wives would run the affairs of their lands and even take up arms in defense of them.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Not quite silverskater, Asia and Japan has long traditions of women being trained to fight. No they weren't usually generals but they were trained warriors.

In their absence their wives would run the affairs of their lands and even take up arms in defense of them.
    Now, I never said they weren't trained. You're right, they did run the affairs of the land, and yes, I can imagine them being somewhat skilled at fighting as a last resort. However, as far as there being any "Samurai" women... No. Unless you count the ones who fake being male.

Newbie Kitsunetsuki may be famous one day Kitsunetsuki may be famous one day Kitsunetsuki's Avatar
    Thanks
    Theres only one account I know of.
    And it's a legend.
    Try wiki I think they have more stuff about it.

"Nothing happens by chance. Life has a design all it’s own. For one person’s sacrifice can be another’s salvation."~The Outer Limits
    R.I.P. "I wont forget you"VP

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverskater145 View Post
    Now, I never said they weren't trained. You're right, they did run the affairs of the land, and yes, I can imagine them being somewhat skilled at fighting as a last resort. However, as far as there being any "Samurai" women... No. Unless you count the ones who fake being male.
    From what I have read many of them were more then 'somewhat' trained. There is a long history also of women (a few) trained to the same level of combat as the male 'masters' of their art.

However in that "Samurai" were professional warriors sworn to a lords service, yes you are correct, they did not exist except in times of war when they were desperate and would take anyone. There have been a few exceptions though from what I have read. Very, very few and very, very hard to prove. So goes history.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast