Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 60 Years later. (The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.)

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

60 Years later. (The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.)

So, the day is almost upon us. This Saturday sixty years ago Hiroshima was leveled by "Little Boy" and
    next Tuesday sixty years ago Nagasaki suffered a similar fate.

I think some thoughts from the AO members would be in order. This would be a good
    chance for some of us to show we do have something called intellect.

It is a broad subject, we can talk about the effects of the bombs(s) (both physical, psychological, cold war etc.),
    the start of the nuclear era (although it had already started by then of course), radiation, anime/manga/films and much more.

[I am aware that this could turn into a debate but because I'm not sure I'll just post it here...]

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 60 Years later. (The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.)

Grumble Grumbe... (smells smoke!!!) Grumble!!!

Moving to the Debate Forum...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Otaku Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk may be famous one day Dreadhawk's Avatar
    On the battlefield, hiding behind you with a knife...
    Thanks

I think it sucked, I mean, when I went to Japan, I wisited the memorial center they had there, and the reproductions and models they had were amazing, but really showed how devestating the bombings were. There was a model of two school children, almost seemingly melting, i couldn't stand to look at it, it looked so real. I don't think they deserved to be hit with a a-bomb, but I can't say we could have just sat and done nothing after they bombed Pearl Harbor...

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm still of the opinon that the bombings were some of America's darkest moments in time, not being around during that era i obviously can't say much about the state of mind everyone had following the events. But i know alot of people here felt terrible about what we did and that showed when we sent our boys over there to help rebuild and share cultures ect. It isn't an incident that you can just simply say "i'm sorry" to but i do think that time heals all wounds and that Japan and the U.S. are doing alot better with eachother.

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

I don't think that everyone is over it. My grandma (lives in Japan) was around when that happened and said it was probably to saddest day of her life, and she lost a few friends. She's still angry about it and doesn't like the fact that I came to live in America, because I lived with her for 5 years when I was a kid. I don't think that America made the right choice when dropping the bombs, there were other ways to get back at them that weren't as devastating. The U.S. wanted a quick solution to a problem that could be solved just as well with a little more time and effort.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

How many lives do you think it would have taken to invade Japan?
    Many more than the amount of lives te atomic bombs took.

Many military leaders in Japan were all for fighting 'till the very last person.
    The destruction would have been total.

On top of that, it is likely that the Soviets would have attacked Japan from the other side as well. Picture what happened to Germany also happening to Japan.
    Last edited by Hassun; Aug 04, 2005 at 05:29 PM.

Otaku Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba may be famous one day Metsuki Anba's Avatar
    Over there. In the bush next to your house.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    How many lives do you think it would have taken to invade Japan?
    Many more than the amount of lives te atomic bombs took.

Many military leaders in Japan were all for fighting 'till the very last person.
    The destruction would have been total.

On top of that, it is likely that the Soviets would have attacked Japan from the other side as well. Picture what happened to Germany also happening to Japan.
    So you think that the atomic bombs were a better solution than invasion of Japan? I think you have flawed logic. You could never have known how many people would have died in an invasion unless it had actually happened. Things like that are never predictable.

Otaku Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro may be famous one day Hokuro's Avatar
    Thanks

We have been invading Japan before the A-bomb was dropped because they joined allies with Germany, & thus they attacked Pearl Harbor, giving us permission to set flight to the Anola Gay which dropped the bomb.
    AO SEX LEGEND ...turn the page...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast