Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 60 Years later. (The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.)

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: 60 Years later. (The bombing of Hiroshima & Nagasaki.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai
    Now I know not a great deal about history so I'll keep my response to the first point fairly brief. Horrible things happen in wars, but, even through America had their reasons for what they did, I think they went about it in slightly the wrong way. Since as far as my knowledge goes, the Japanese didn't target the general American public, just the miltary.
    That's all I'll say, since I'm neither American, nor Japanese or lived in that time period, I can never truly understand any of the reasons why.
    They did however show that they had no qualms whatsoever about killing civilians.
    Just think about the atrocities they comitted in the conquered areas.
    POWs were also treated badly but that had a whole different reason of course...

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks

My personal opinion is that war in itself is the real problem. Since it was already raging on and the two sides would never have been willing to end the war at the same time (Americans : "We want complete surrender, no peace negotiations." Japanese : "We will fight to the last, and never surrender") by peace negotiations, which I find very sad, there had to be a way to end the war with the least possible human deaths. Is there really a difference between dying from an atomic bomb, massive bombardment or a bullet in the head?

Had the invasion taken place, civilians would have died as well, since they were trained (even children) to protect the motherland, and many confident since Japan had never been defeated in history, would continue until the last man was standing. There are two things though that are worse with the use of an atomic bomb (they didn't know, but they could have tried to), it's that it leaves the radioactive residues that killed people later on and that an atomic bomb never choses who it kills (although city bombardments can be considered the same at some extent).

Don't believe for one instant that I caution the use of the atomic bomb, but I try to explain its use. For me, even an insect dying is terrible for me, so you can imagine when I watch the documentaries on the atomic bomb...

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun
    Now, on to a different aspect. Combining the bombs with Japanese thoughts, films, manga and anime.
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about this but have difficulty putting my thoughts into words. Japan's reconstruction since being reduced to dust is unparalleled! To become (at the time of "Bubble Economy") the world's foremost technological power, which Germany never was able to reclaim (post WWII). More interesting is the imprint on the culture and people's lives (and anime). Something about being atomized has made Japan very different from other cultures. Robots and autonomy are much more accepted in everyday life than the West. We typically think of machines as our tools, while Japan brings out new versions of electronic pets every year. That's a fundamental difference in technology perception. Many of the apocalyptic anime witness "rebirth" at the end (Akira, Evangelion, etc.). Hits closer to home when you've actually lived apocalyptic destruction.

I can't argue with the strategists of why WWII played like it did, but I feel sorrow at the thought of disintegrating so many people at once. Still, would the remnants of an Imperial culture (had the bombs not been dropped) have become the Ichiban society we know (and worship, fellow otaku)?

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sukotsu9
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about this but have difficulty putting my thoughts into words. Japan's reconstruction since being reduced to dust is unparalleled! To become (at the time of "Bubble Economy") the world's foremost technological power, which Germany never was able to reclaim (post WWII). More interesting is the imprint on the culture and people's lives (and anime). Something about being atomized has made Japan very different from other cultures. Robots and autonomy are much more accepted in everyday life than the West. We typically think of machines as our tools, while Japan brings out new versions of electronic pets every year. That's a fundamental difference in technology perception. Many of the apocalyptic anime witness "rebirth" at the end (Akira, Evangelion, etc.). Hits closer to home when you've actually lived apocalyptic destruction.

I can't argue with the strategists of why WWII played like it did, but I feel sorrow at the thought of disintegrating so many people at once. Still, would the remnants of an Imperial culture (had the bombs not been dropped) have become the Ichiban society we know (and worship, fellow otaku)?
    Germany also reformed pretty quickly after WWII (das wirschaftswunder) but with the help of the USA Japan catapulted back into action, of course this was also one of the US's strategies against communism...

Nice thoughts about the "apocalypse" and "rebirth".

ruler of mune667 deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667 may be famous one day deaths_raver667's Avatar
    Thanks

the americans had to make a decision with the bombs, no one can tell whether this was a good decision or not. personally i feel that it was a bad decision and what was needed was for the japanese and americans to come to an agreement and make peace, but as i can't see what would have happened i'm gonna leave my point of veiw at: "the americans could have taken a little more time on their desicion". as for how it affects manga and anime, it does have a massive affect on it, lots of animes have mention of extremely powerful weapons which many think are wrong, RahXephon : jupiter thing, evangelion : n2 mines, dai-guard : i'm not sure what it's called. you get the picture, obviously the japanese see the bomb as a point to base animes around as it brings about a lot of story lines and possibilities, also alot of japanese people have their view on the bombs and find anime a good way to express these.
    i am the urban monky
    look to the mune

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I understand that even after Japan surrendered there were military leaders who refused to stop and had to be brought to Hiroshima and Nagasaki to see for themselves before they would even consider it. As horrific as it ended up being I have a hard time imagining there would have ever been a surrender without it. There were just to many willing to die trying.

LenMiyata's comments show the need for an immediate solution at the time as well as bringing up the question, what would Japan be like now if Russia had ended up being the ones to take control of it? If Japan had ended up behind the iron curtain?

As for it being a part of anime, how can it not? Something like that can't be forgotten. It becomes a part of the culture, the past, and some peoples present.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Blah. "If there was no Pearl Harbor, then there would have been no Hiroshima and Nagasaki, right?"

But the Japanese bombed a military base, and tried to give an advance warning beforehand but that didn't work out. America bombed two of Japan's most populated cities, where children were going to school...people were at work...the streets were busy...all of them completely disintegrated...

Japan was about to lose the war anyways.
    関西は最高やねん

PiNk HaIr FaNaTiC Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45 may be famous one day Boo45's Avatar
    Thanks

Cant really say much about what happend and its kinda late right now to be reading all your posts and all but. Ill just reply as is. Anyway, in my opinion the bomb probably was not neccesary in order to quickly resolve the issue..atleast in my opinion, not trying to get anyone mad or anything its just my opinion. Though the fact is that it happened and thats something that arguements cant change, which being the past, and i dont really like to argue over something that really cant be changed. Though i think the U.S. is entitled to helping the Japanese recover from that kind of devestation, though if this already happened then jus dont mind me, im not that smart when it comes to history..or..atleast the memorization part. =P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast