Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: action or storyline?

Newbie JetRo may be famous one day JetRo may be famous one day JetRo's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: action or storyline?

A good storyline with a bit of action and a lot of fan service.

Otaku Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan may be famous one day Fluffy-Chan's Avatar
    Thanks

I would have to agree with the majority, and say both. Oh and you cant forget the lovable Characters

Gundam Builder Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x may be famous one day Ragn0r0x's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say both. Whats the point of having all this action and the story doesnt go anywhere. When the characters are done fighting they are bakc where they started but just exhausted.

Otaku Madness Combat may be famous one day Madness Combat may be famous one day Madness Combat's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I guess it matters on the plot. If the viewer has seen something that is way old and used a lot in tv shows and movies then it won't be excited and new. But if you have something new and interesting they might watch. Also, it might be how the character looks or the persanality. I like Read or Die because of they creative idea of using paper as a weapon. Also Anita and Maggie are beautiful.

Thanks to socketto for the avatar and banner!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Everyone can take for granted that the majority of the 'GREAT' anime series have both a combination of action and story, (which doesn't really answer the subject of this thread...), so let's take examples of the extremes to decide the issue...

As an example of a anime series that is almost all story, and very limited action would be the haunting Cyberpunk series 'Serial Experiment Lain'. Most of the action is third party views of various people who have comitted suicide. No significant fight scenes until Lain confronts her creator at the very end, and this was a very short and bloodless scene. 'Serial Experiment Lain' is still held as one of the shining examples of the Cyberpunk Genre, and one of the must see series for a serious collector of anime.

As an example of a story that is almost all action, and very limited story, you could pick and choose from any of the 'Girls with Guns' genre. (BurnUp, BurnUp Excess, BurnUp Warrior, BurnUp Scramble, Najica Blitz Tactics, Agent Aiko, Dirty Pair Flash, Original Dirty Pair, Gunsmith Cats...) For action and animation, all of these series are well done, but what story they have are just an excuse for action fanservice scenes. (And 'Fanservice' isn't limited to just sexy images. It also includes 'Beauty' shots such as Giant Mecha posturing, Girls Blazing away with guns, Racing Car shots, etc...) Yet how many of these series have made it on a Anime Top 50 or Top 100 list. The only 'Girls with Guns' series that has is 'Noir' and 'Madlax'. And both series are dominated by a slow, but overwhelming plot development.

The answer to the question appears to be that a great anime series must have a great story. And great action shots is not a substitute for a great story...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Ichigo559 may be famous one day Ichigo559 may be famous one day Ichigo559's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata
    The answer to the question appears to be that a great anime series must have a great story. And great action shots is not a substitute for a great story...

i think LenMiyata is absolutely correct. yeah its always good to have a good balance of both but what makes and Anime, Movie, TV Show or whatever great is the story. you can only watch something get blown up, someone getting kicked, or things of a similar action for so long till the viewer gets bored. and wants to know" ok so now the battle is over, now what? do they live happily ever after, is there something else wrong?" and so on. so i will go with this.
    The Fight brings me in. but the story is what makes me stay and watch.
    why is anime addicting? it just is!!!!!!

Otaku QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames may be famous one day QueenOfGames's Avatar
    Thanks

I suppose the storyline is an aspect of what makes a great anime, but two things I could add would be the art and a message behind it. Either those or that it just leaves you in awe, with a feeling you can't describe.

Spirited Away...the art is fantastic, so is the storyline, but with me it leaves me with the feeling I can't describe and I don't try to because that would ruin it.

Revolutionary Girl Utena as another example. Besides all of the other factors I've mentioned, it doesn't hurt to have awesome music and the Utena series does .^_^.

Of course there has to be action though...because if there wasn't any action, doesn't that mean nothing would be happening? *confused, but laughs* In any case, that's where I stand .^_^.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Story is the "only" thing that counts for me in anime. If I wanna have a quick laugh, action anime is good, like Excel Saga.

R.O.D., SeL, Noir, watching MADLAX now, etc. are titles that have lots and lots of story and are very appreciated I think.

FF:AC was not bad, had "LOTS" of action, but little story so it was 'not bad". The game FF7 was superb in my opinion because it had lots of story. It had lots of fights too, but for me it was only an extra to be able to fight extrememely powerful weapons XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast