Thread: ADSL2 and VDSL2

Otaku BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind's Avatar
    Thanks

ADSL2 and VDSL2

Broadband companies have been testing and researching the next generation of DSL broadband. It can reach speeds up to 100 mbps. Here is the full article here.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/65298

Well, the price is obviously going to increase from what we pay now, but it is well worth it. What do all of you think?

Newbie andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd may be famous one day andrebsd's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ADSL2 and VDSL2

Depends on how much the price increases... I currently pay 29.99 a month for a 1.5mbps ADSL line, and 4.99 a month for my gprs line.

With data files getting larger and larger, I wouldn't mind faster access... if its around 79.99 or so, i'd probibly go for it... as I was looking into getting a new vaio notebook, the type with built in edge and the service runs 79.99, in which case if I could get a much faster line for the house i'd just continue using the slower gprs when i'm away.

Now the thing is, faster access only really helps if the servers (or other people, in the case of bit torrent or other p2p stuff) have fast lines as well... So I probibly wouldn't be the first person in line to get a faster line.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ADSL2 and VDSL2

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The thing is, current DSL technology is adequate for file access. A bigger IP pipe wouldn't give you faster access because the bottleneck is at the file server, not the Internet connection. The purpose of the faster transfer rates is to support new services that are currently in development. And this link provides some clues on what these services are...

http://www.microsoft.com/tv/content/..._Overview.mspx
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku