Thread: AFI Tribute to George Lucas

Otaku BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind may be famous one day BFmastermind's Avatar
    Thanks

AFI Tribute to George Lucas

George Lucas has received the 33rd AFI Life Achievement Award, the highest honor for a career in film.

Quote Originally Posted by AFI
    George Lucas was presented with the 33rd AFI Life Achievement Award on Thursday, June 9, 2005 at a black-tie gala event held at the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles.

The tribute, both heartfelt and playful, focused on the filmmaker's astonishing contributions to the art and technology of filmmaking, as well as the impact of the epic STAR WARS series. In addition to accolades given by guests including Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford, the evening featured clips from Lucas' films presented with commentary from five Academy Award winning directors--Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Francis Ford Coppola, Ron Howard and Peter Jackson. Spielberg presented Lucas with the honor at evening's end.

Additional guests included Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, Richard Dreyfuss, Robert Duvall, Carrie Fisher, Calista Flockhart, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Cloris Leachman, Tom Hanks and Jimmy Smits; as well as intergalactic celebrities Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2.
    To read more about it go here.
    http://www.afi.com/tvevents/laa/laa05.aspx

I want to know everyone's thoughts on this. Do you think he deserved it? Do you think he didn't? Do you think someone else deserved the award?

Personally, I believe he deserved the award for all of the movies he has made. He has told great stories in his movies and has done a great job with the direction and production of most of them. My favorite films by far were his Indiana Jones films.
    Last edited by BFmastermind; Jun 21, 2005 at 07:05 PM.

11:11 Delerium may be famous one day Delerium may be famous one day Delerium's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: AFI Tribute to George Lucas

Yes I think Lucas definately deserved this, I mean it is a little late, but the man deserves all the props he gets, he has revolutionized so much about sci-fi films and has created something that will never be forgotten, its in people's daily lives who never have even seen the movies. Its crazy hwo big this thing he's created has become. So yes Lucas deserves it just as much as anyone else if not more.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Marketing mogul powa!
    Regardelss of what you think of his films, he does know how to get around without using Hollywood...

Newbie Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot may be famous one day Master Pivot's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I think he deserves the award. While his delivery may not always be the best, his creativity and genius is apparent. And his contributions to the entertainment world is both undeniable and groundbreaking.
    Master Pivot - Wielder of the Coherent Light Bokken
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, he definately deserves it! It's about time too! Way to go, Mr.Lucas! :]

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

maybe not for what many people think is the "killing of star wars" but his past genius is well worthy of the reward. Maybe not everyone liked the new star wars series, but his old trilogy, and Indiana Jones, are american classics. As is Lucas.