Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age discrimination

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy Age discrimination

Age discrimination is a very important subject to me because I am only twelve but turning 13 in a month. I feel that when I reveal my age many people don't take me seriously, but luckily for me I don't look my age but still when I try to voice my opinions which I have a lot of ,no one seems to hear me...I want to make a difference in the world and when I'm dedicated to something I get very dedicated to it. I want to be a writer when I become older since my voice is never heard my words will hopefully be read. I am very smart for my age and I know a lot more than my peers but since I'm young no one really takes the time to listen....To me, no one is better than me and I keep trying to reach the crowds with my different perspectives. At school I help in the paper about issues that concern us many teachers say I am very talented and when they see my true potential I gain many more opportunities, but the only way they see is by reading that paper...and unfortunately not many teachers/adults take the time....Just because I am younger does not mean I don't know what I'm talking about or what I'm doing. I get very mad when someone tells me to step aside and let the real professionals do their jobs even if that may be true all I want is to be recognized among many and so far my age is the only thing holding me back... Does it matter what age you are? I believe that as long as you know what you are talking about and feel confident enough to stick with your opinion or side then you should be heard, but my voice is never loud enough and my words are never big enough.....

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Age discrimination

Hey hey, I feel your pain. i may no be 13, but when it comes to being 18 discussing something with someone who is 45, they're the same way. the only thing that puts me on the same level as them is that I don't assume i know something. I know what I'm talking about, and eventualy the realize this. the only advice I can give you is don't assume you know something, think before you wright (or post, or talk), and take the time to learn your subject. If you know what your talking about, people will soon realize that and yo will get the respect you should.

Otaku AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Zarriff. If you do know what you are talking about ppl will respect you and let your voice be heard. I sometimes don't blame adults for not treating us "kids" the same level they would to another adult if they were talking about something seriuos. After all, we are born into a society of immaturity etc etc. I don't know if its the same for you all, but my peers are pretty immature etc etc. I don't need to go down a list of what immature things they do/say.

Lord and Master Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff may be famous one day Zarriff's Avatar
    Thanks

I work with people of all ages; 18 and up. i am the second youngest employee, and I see most of the people who work there as "immature." Rather or not someone will listen to you and respect what you say depends on how you present yourself, your knowledge on the subject, and the maturity level of the person or persons at the other end of the conversation. Just something to keep in mind.

Otaku AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks's Avatar
    Thanks

Your right dude. Forgot all about that. Sheesh, stole the words right outta my mouth if i come to realized that

Newbie GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292 may be famous one day GuardianAngel1292's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah,I always know to be informed about the subject before I bring it to the table and when I deliver my side I make sure it's strong enough to persuade.....thank you for your advice...and I'm glad I'm not alone .

Otaku Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki may be famous one day Chihiro Miyazaki's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Re: Age discrimination

Hey, its what we're all here for. I JUST turned 18 at the end of June, so I completely understand people not taking you seriously because of your age. One of my famous sayings is "Just because I'm young doesn't make me stupid!" People ignore what I have to say, and some adults look at me and fuss saying I've got some nerve to think that I can try to interact with them, as if I'm on their level! I absolutely hate that. But trust me, with time, persistance, and yeah, not acting like you know everything there is to know in this world, people will start to wisen up and realize that you're worth listening to.

"You can get hurt by loving someone, or you can stay alone by not ever loving someone. Which do you choose? Love always has its risks, but you should never fear them, for they are love's true test."

Otaku Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku may be famous one day Meiwaku's Avatar
    Thanks

To an extent it doesn't matter what age you are, it really depends on how people perceive you and how old you look. By definition I am an adult (22 years old), but I get treated like a teenager based on my looks alone. Thus when I am in stores I sometimes get that extra eye kept on me, or when I am at work, where I am the oldest Employee by at least 3 years but look younger than half of them I get treated like a moron by customers who clearly have half the education and intelligence that I have all because they think I am a little teenager and I don't matter as much as they do. At this point in my life I really don't care since I had 10 years of this kind of treatment while I actually was a teenager so I am used to it now.

And of course you could always just find people who think they are above everyone and treat everyone like a little kid. My boss for example, is half a year older than me and talks down to people who are like 20-40 years older than him. He's the type of adult who has a superiority complex and no matter what age you are they will make you feel below them.
    - "Ash: Gimme some sugar, baby."-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast