Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternitives to Photoshop - or "how not to be a pirate"

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Alternitives to Photoshop - or "how not to be a pirate"

Arrianna has asked me to share some links to various open source/free editing software that are akin to Photoshop so that some of you wallers can have equal access to those of us with Photoshop. I have no problem with that and would encourage any of you without Photoshop to go straightway and see if these programs are for you... so here goes:

GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/

Gimp is the all around "Photoshop killer" app. It's a full featured (meaning it has all the bells and whistles) photo-editing suite and is one of the crown jewel of the Open Source movement. It's available for all platforms (WIN/MAC/LINUX) as a free download. If you already have Linux installed, chances are you already have it. In everyway this app is comparable to Photoshop and I highly recommend it if your looking for a photo editor.

Installation: It's best to read the install instructions yourselves, but if your downloading to windows you will need to download two files. The first file is WHICH YOUMUST INSTALL BEFORE GIMP! The second is GIMP itself. After that, your in business.

GIMPSHOP: http://www.gimpshop.net/

Gimpshop is a hacked version of the GIMP. While the core GIMP look is there, all the menu's have been reworked to mirror Photoshop’s menu system as much as possible. This is the version of GIMP I recommend. The same Install rules apply...you'll need "GTK + 2 for Windows" and will need to install it before you install GIMPSHOP. It's avalible in Win and Linux...I'm not sure abut Mac. WARNING: Do not install GIMP and GIMPSHOP on the same machine. They are the same program and bad things could happen. Pick one or the other.

GIMPSHOP has a pretty cool plug-in for Windows called "Deweirdifier". The default user interface for GIMP/GIMPSHOP is three separate windows, all of which act independently. If you have GIMP open and pull up your web browser afterwards...you'll need to click on all three windows of GIMP to bring them all back to the top. Deweirdifier changes that. It puts all three windows in a 'container window' that is treated much like other window apps (if that makes any sense). It's a good plug-in to have and makes GIMPSHOP feel more traditional. I do not know if Deweirdifier works with GIMP.

PAINT.net: http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/

Paint.net is a free program that is for Windows XP only...no other operating system (including other versions of windows) will run it. It's a university project out of the University of Washington, Redmond and is fully supported by Microsoft. Paint.net is advertised as an upgrade of Paint...but really that's like saying a Porsche is an upgrade from the VW Bug.

Paint.net is full featured and supports many of the same concepts found in Photoshop (layers, masks, etc). You will need the .NET platform to run PAINT.net and the PAINT.net download is offered with .NET bundled or as a stand alone install.

Support/Tutorials
    There is a great deal of support for all these programs. If you go to there respective homepages (just follow my links) you'll find links to user manuals, tutorials, and forum boards. But the general rule of thumb for GIMP/GIMPSHOP is any tutorial for Photoshop will work for GIMP/GIMPSHOP (especially GIMPSHOP since it has the same menu system). I'm not sure about PAINT.net but you should be able to find some net help somewhere. I wish I could help more but while I'm very familier with these programs (installing them and using them myself) I have not activily sought support/tutorials for them...I have Arrianna for that.

Ok, that's all...go try it out! Find out which one is for you…you’ll be happy you did and the price is right. Why pay $600 for Photoshop when you can have these great programs for free?

If you need any help just reply to the thread or PM me and I'll do my best to help.

Good luck!

Otaku death_knight may be famous one day death_knight may be famous one day death_knight's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Alternitives to Photoshop - or "how not to be a pirate"

Yah i been using gimp for ages.. Its a nice Supstitute but its no photoshop though.. Had to use it as i'm a nix man..
    Opensources is where my heart is
    Ishida Uryuu - The true one winged angel

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you tried GIMPSHOP? It's still GIMP but if your used to photoshop it may really help you. I was really surpirised when I saw it. give it a shot...you might really like it.

Yes, I don't care for GIMP either if compaired to Photoshop (I was trying to be nice...but in all fairmess some people say that Photoshop is no GIMP they like it so much). But for the price it's an amazing peice of software and much better then what some wallers are using to create their masterpeices.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Another good way is to go on e-bay. You can get an older photoshop for around $200.00. , and yes their unregistered and in a box. May not always have a manual.

Newbie B1ad3_k1n6 may be famous one day B1ad3_k1n6 may be famous one day B1ad3_k1n6's Avatar
    Thanks

i tried to install gimpshop (apparently it had the gtk thing and the deweirdefier already included, but when i started the program my computer told me that the program had performed an illegal operation and doesn't run and i really want to use this program, my computer is a 98 and i'm not sure but my best guess is a pentium 2 mab lower it is five years old..... is this too old for Gimpshop?
    The maximum size for an image in your signature is 450x110 pixels, please resize your image.

i keep on thinking it's not good bye, i keep on thinking it's our time to fly
    FRIENDS FOREVER!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry, Barronmore is a little busy right now. I'll remind him of your post when he gets back. Hang in there.

In the meantime, anyone else?....

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Sorry, i've had a long day solving all the computer woes in the valley.

A PII should be fine...though, out of couriosity, how much ram do you have?

Here's how I got it to work for me....

1. Uninstall GIMPshop so you'll be starting over from scratch.
    2. Download GTK 2 and GIMP. Install GTK 2 first, then install GIMP.
    3. Uninstall GIMP (leave GTK 2 on your system).
    4. Download and Install GIMPshop
    5. Download and install Dewirderfier

When I downloaded GIMPshop it did not have GTK and Dewirdifyer with it...so I'm not sure what to tell you there...but go ahead and follow this method and let me know what happens. If you do get an error message, write it down so I can see it. I'll be able to help much better with the acutall error message.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, I'll try out the Paint.net... But I won't really need too. I have a piratedCompleately legal copy of Photoshop at home, and I can use PS on my computers at college.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast