Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: alzheimer's disease. could there be a cure for it?

Newbie Zero may be famous one day Zero may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I've heard it said that tea can help prevent it, but as for a sure-fire way to cure it, one has yet to be discovered. I also heard that chewing gum can stimulate parts of your brain associated with memory, thus helping your memory stay in shape. Once again, these things are only rumored to help prevent alzheimers, so I'm not sure if they really work.

Otaku Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless's Avatar
    Thanks
    I remember reading somewhere that those with Alzheimer's had very high traces of Aluminum in the brain, and scientists are trying to figure out if drinking from cans and using products with aluminum in it contributes.

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma, my Great Grandma had it and I know what it feels like to watch them and feel so helpless.
    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However,
    a great number of electrons were terribly
    inconvenienced

Love with its back turned My manga highschool love story.

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, good question. The truth is that stemcells can actually help cure your grandmother's disease. The problem is that Bush has not been supporting the stemcell research as much as he needs too. It sucks, I know, but it's the way of life and we cant really prevent these kind of things.

Otaku Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless may be famous one day Wonderlandless's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother
    Well, good question. The truth is that stemcells can actually help cure your grandmother's disease. The problem is that Bush has not been supporting the stemcell research as much as he needs too. It sucks, I know, but it's the way of life and we cant really prevent these kind of things.
    Personally I think Stemcell research is a great idea, though others would argue that's wrong, murder, blah blah. But that is a totally different topic all together.
    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However,
    a great number of electrons were terribly
    inconvenienced

Love with its back turned My manga highschool love story.

Sib
    Otaku Sib may be famous one day Sib may be famous one day Sib's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother
    I'm sorry, but i'm afraid that I don't think stemcells are the answer, simply because there is such a wide varity of nerves affected. Transplanting the tissue that has died isn't realistic either for the same reason. The sad truth is that we still don't even know what causes Alzheimers, so an effective cure could still be a way off.

The problem is that Alzeimers is a progressive degenerative disease of the nervous system, we cannot expect a 'cure' in the sense that one can cure an infectious disease. For now, research groups are working towards finding ways of preventing or slowing down the effects of Alzheimers... which is all that we can really do at this stage. There are a few drugs out that do seem to help though. I think one of them is under the name 'Ebixa' or something, and apparently it does seem to have a few postive effects.

But there is still hope. There are alot of people working to find a cure, and many are doing so with great enthusiasm. It's only a matter of time before a cure is eventually found, but until then, there is no point in giving up.

I feel really bad for all those that are effected by Alzheimers. I can't imagine how horrible it must feel. I give them all my best wishes, especially those that have been mentioned here. (_ _)

Hmmm... He's not technically human, so it wouldn't really be like cannibalism...
    .:Anime Relfections:.l.:SibArt (Being Updated):.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2