Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: An animated history

Newbie Cudwieser may be famous one day Cudwieser may be famous one day
    Thanks

Question An animated history

We all love anime and manga, but does anyone know where it all began (I ask because I don't know). The easiest question is what was the first anime and was it any good? The next question is a bit trickier. What was the first manga and again was it any good?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: An animated history

Grumble Grumble Grumble

As it turns out, both questions refer to the same manga artist... Osamu Tezuka is generally considered 'The God of Manga', as it was his works which were published shortly after World War II that established the story and artistic style of Manga that continues to this day. There were some graphics stories published before Osamu Tezuka's works, but the majority were goverment war propaganda, and the ones that weren't were more towards traditional Japanase wood block prints...

One of his first works was the manga series called 'Metropolis' published in 1947, which was adapted into a anime movie in the late 1990s. His other significant work, 'Tetsuwan Atom' (Astro Boy) which was published in the mid-1950s was adapted into the first Japanese animation series (which he directed in the early 1960s) to feature a continious story arc told over multiple episodes...

Osama Tezuka Web site (both English and Japanese)
    http://en-f.tezuka.co.jp/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, LenMiyata does know every thing. Good stuff to know either way!

*~AO's Guardian Angel~* Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo may be famous one day Akurei Kakudo's Avatar
    Thanks

*jaw drops* wow well ok its no mystary anymore. but i dont expect anything less from the wonderful Len! all hail!!! *bows down to Len*

thanks for the sig SasuraiHell!!!!

Newbie Cudwieser may be famous one day Cudwieser may be famous one day
    Thanks

Question Re: An animated history

Cheers Len, but can you (and the rest) answer me this. What are the landmark anime/manga (not nessecarily the most popular anime/manga) that have furthered the art. Please mention the anime and how they have progressed the art.

Otaku Sparkydizzy may be famous one day Sparkydizzy may be famous one day Sparkydizzy's Avatar
    Thanks

you are the greatest Len wow I had no Idea that people could know that but you surpise me again. haha good times
    Hey if you don't understand what i am saying it just because I'm black.

OUR MOTTO
    to destroy all mankind for the benifits of pandas and Squirells alike.

I will make your brain hurt with not using commas and periods and putting Caps where there shouldn't be hahaha. The sparky strikes again haha

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Osamu Tezuka dominated the Manga/Anime market of the 1940s,50s and 60s. In addition to 'Astro Boy' and 'Metropolis', he also did 'Jungle Emperor Leo' manga, which in turn became the anime 'Kimba the White Lion' which was the first anime made in color. Another popular manga series of his was the series called 'Black Jack', of which several anime series (one currently showing in Japan) have been made... The only anime series from this period that was not done by Osamu Tezuka was the original 'Speed Racer' series....

Once past the 60s, significant anime doesn't really occur until the mid 1970s and the Sci-Fi boom that the movie 'Star Wars' triggered. The 'Golden Age' of anime was triggered by the works of one man, Leji Matsumoto, and the Universe that he created with 'Space Battleship Yamato' series...

It's rare to pin down a Anime Era triggered by a single series, but the three series that can be pinned down is 'Astro Boy' for the early Anime of the 1960s, 'Space Battleship Yamato' for the Golden Age which lasted from the mid 1970s to the late 1980s, and the GAINEX studio TV series 'Nadia: Secret of Blue Water' for the anime rebirth of the early 1990s, which continues to this day...

There are other lesser significant works that started their own genre's. you have...

Mobile Suit Gundam 1979 (First series to distinguish 'Mecha' from 'Giant Robot')
    Megazone 23 (Golden Age Cyberpunk)
    Bubblegum Crisis (late 80s) First anime with jpop/rock soundtrack
    Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Oki (1992) First true 'digital' (Laser Disk) distribution and first 'Harem' genre series. Triggered the OVA boom of the 1990s

Websites for Osamu Tezuka based anime series...

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis...
    http://www.sonypictures.com/cthv/metropolis/

Astro Boy (40th Anniversery remake) 2003
    http://www.astroboytv.com/
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Is there an end to the extent of this man's knowledge?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast