Thread: Anime???

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime???

Hey, I'm new here and you may not know me, but I had a question on Anime.

I've watched a couple anime but it has never really was that attractive to me. A few awesome fight scenes, some laughable moments, and rarely a good plot, but never really good all-in-all. So, what's the significance of it? Not to offend anybody, but it seems a bit overrated. Some say it's a culture, but I think its just a little hobby that I see people spending tons of money on DVD Box Sets, and collector's items, not a religion.

Just a question. Maybe somebody can tell me what to look for when watching it or what to really watch.

Otaku AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hey no problem. Your right that ppl do spend alot of money just for anime. Theres more thing you can buy that are better than anime. As much as i love anime, all you do is just watch it. Manga, same thing implies except your reading and ur forcing your fingers to flip pages. Ahem. Probably your watching anime that i call, "way too unrealistic" or in other words, not serious enough to fill your likingness to that anime. I mean come on, sometimes there are parts in certain animes that are funny but soo pathetic. I believe ur a person that likes to see anime with lots of action in it and comedy. Here are my list of what you should check out.

Anime: (I doubt any of these contain any spoilers but forgive me if it does)
    Cowboy Bebop (extremely serious, lil laughtable moments in few epies, and packed with huge action)
    Trigun (packed with action, alot of comedy in the begginning of the Trigun series but gets serious)
    InuYasha (ok this maybe a bad choice for you but there is a lot of action in it and some comedy somewhere on the line)
    Ruroni Kenshin (Uhh... It is serious i guess, lots of action, comedy somewhere on the line, and no blood shed)
    Kenshin OVA (lots of action and blood. All serious)

Manga:
    NOW (lil bit of comedy here and there, lots and lots of action after the first volume)

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well u need to watch some classic's like akira, princes monoke, Any of Miyazaki work's 'big fan is miyazaki'. U' have to watch and read anime/manga that have deep story lines, to see y we love'm soo much.
    To see the struggles of life and death. To see the inner pain of a person's love that is rejected.
    To be one with these characters; to share their happy moments, their sorrow, their hopes, they're dreams...
    This is y i watch anime and read manga, just to go to a different reallity. That i can relate too. To escape this sad and depressing world if just a moment; is worth any amount of money to me T-T.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Otaku AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks may be famous one day AnimeFreaks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderabbit
    Well u need to watch some classic's like akira, princes monoke, Any of Miyazaki work's 'big fan is miyazaki'. U' have to watch and read anime/manga that have deep story lines, to see y we love'm soo much.
    To see the struggles of life and death. To see the inner pain of a person's love that is rejected.
    To be one with these characters; to share their happy moments, their sorrow, their hopes, they're dreams...
    This is y i watch anime and read manga, just to go to a different reallity. That i can relate too. To escape this sad and depressing world if just a moment; is worth any amount of money to me T-T.
    uhh... is life really that depressing to depend on products to escape reality or fullfill ppl's happiness?

Newbie Brother may be famous one day Brother may be famous one day Brother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimeFreaks
    Hey no problem. Your right that ppl do spend alot of money just for anime. Theres more thing you can buy that are better than anime. As much as i love anime, all you do is just watch it. Manga, same thing implies except your reading and ur forcing your fingers to flip pages. Ahem. Probably your watching anime that i call, "way too unrealistic" or in other words, not serious enough to fill your likingness to that anime. I mean come on, sometimes there are parts in certain animes that are funny but soo pathetic. I believe ur a person that likes to see anime with lots of action in it and comedy. Here are my list of what you should check out.
    Thanks for respecting my opinion. I will take your word on the anime you have requested. I have also heard FLCL is a good one?

Oh, and Jade. I have seen Akira and i can't say i really liked it. Though, I have seen Princess Mononoke which I very much appreciated. I have also seen the director's Spirited Away which was also very good film. Are there any other's like those two?

Otaku Karn may be famous one day Karn may be famous one day Karn's Avatar
    Thanks
    Here is what I think of anime:

Like any other form of entertainment, different types of anime will appeal to a different audience - one reason it is popular, or significant. If you want a sports type anime, they are available, if you've always liked robots, you have your robots. I don't consider anime itself to be good "all-in-all" because it isn't, just like say... movies. Some movies a person will like, some movies a person will not.

For example, I like the movie Blade Runner, but I do not like the movie *insert typical "teen" movie here* just like how I like the anime Bubblegum Crisis, but I do not like the anime *insert typical harem anime here*. Yeah, people will spend money on box sets (as do I - but only on series I like) - but then again, some people spend money on tv drama box sets as well.

Though they probably exist, I think the majority of people who watch a certain anime do not watch it just because it is anime, but rather that it has something in it that appeals to them. I know there might be quite a few people out there who watch anything and everything anime just because it is labeled anime - but the typical "anime watcher" probably does not.

EDIT:
    Though, I have seen Princess Mononoke which I very much appreciated. I have also seen the director's Spirited Away which was also very good film. Are there any other's like those two?
    I guess you could try Laputa: Castle in the Sky, or perhaps read the manga Nausicaa (I think it is Miyazaki's best work)
    Last edited by Karn; Jan 04, 2005 at 10:04 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother
    Thanks for respecting my opinion. I will take your word on the anime you have requested. I have also heard FLCL is a good one?

Oh, and Jade. I have seen Akira and i can't say i really liked it. Though, I have seen Princess Mononoke which I very much appreciated. I have also seen the director's Spirited Away which was also very good film. Are there any other's like those two?
    LOL!!! FLCL IS AN EXCELLENT CHOICE MY FRIEND! Major comedy and action in it and the thing is it purely makes no sense! But a very good anime to watch.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother

Yes, castle in the sky, my neighbor totoro are 2 of fav's.

An to AnimeFreaks... yes... life is that depressing. That is y i use anime to disolve away that depression. But i also read cause i love it... my hobby even if im not depressed. I really dont see the problem with using art as a moderator.
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|