Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anime DVDs to buy: Which one?!?

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks

Anime DVDs to buy: Which one?!?

Can anyone recommend me some really good Anime series for me to get? I'm currently in my home country for holiday before I return to Perth for my school term. There's an Anime House here and my mom's buying me some complete box sets for me. So... any recommendations? :]

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

It would be helpful to include information on what series you've already seen, and what type of anime genre you know you like. Also, do be aware that there are DVD Region Encoding issues if you're taking DVDs from one country and try to play them in a DVD player made for another country. As an example a DVD sold in a US store (DVD Region 1) will not play in a DVD deck sold in Australia, (that is, unless the DVD Deck has specific multi-region DVD support, which is not standard with most models...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Where are you now? America?
    Because it's a great idea while you're there to stock up on anime not available in Australia (and believe me there's quite a bit)

Check out Madman's site... for the stuff all ready released in Australia.
    www.madman.com.au
    Then you could check out American companies like ADV and Central Park Media, whom have released alot of the titles not avaliable in Australia, and see if anything interests you there.
    Afraid I can't really help out much unless you give us more information to go on.
    For I could recommend you heaps of series I really enjoy.... but I doubt you'll like them. Unless your a shoujo anime fangirl like me ^_^

So remember to make sure you have a multi regional DVD player as Len said.
    However, in Australia multi regional players are commonplace now. I've got one, both my friends have one, my sister and my parents do too... My friend didn't even know her player was MR until I popped in one of my Region 1 DVDs in it.
    You might all ready have one and not even know it...

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku esthered may be famous one day esthered may be famous one day esthered's Avatar
    Thanks
    Actually I'm in Singapore. And yea I'm aware of that multi region thing -.- It's soooo annoying! I was actually thinking of Cowboy Bebop. :]

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Cowboy Bebop would be a good collection, but if you can afford to wait, a special edition collection is scheduled for release this summer with improved 5.1 sound, and new bonus material that was not included in the original DVD release...

Other significant series I would recommend would be....

'Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water' ... The series that triggered the Anime rebirth of the 90s...

'Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki' (OVA) ... The original 'Harem' genre show. Composed of the first and second OVA series... (The third OVA gets Region 1 released sometime this summer...)

'Full Metal Panic!' ... Has one sequel series done ('Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu') and a third sequal in production...
    'Saber Marionette Ultimate Collection' Great Comedy Action series, and one of the definitive voice roles for Megumi Hayashibara (Rei from Evangelion, Lina Inverse of Slayers...)

'Key the Metal Idol', one of the best Cyberpunk genere ever made...

'Bubblegum Crisis' and the remake 'Bubblegum Crisis: MegaTokyo 2040', for action Cyberpunk action...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie dragonswillprevail may be famous one day dragonswillprevail may be famous one day dragonswillprevail's Avatar
    Thanks
    get please teacher it is a interesting anime

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can get Cowboy Bebop over in Australia, but as for the special edition that's coming out (in summer in America.... which will be winter in Australia) I'm not sure if madman will release it out here. It's possible, but it won't be coming out the same time as it will in America.

out of what Len sugguested. It'd go for:
    Nadia
    Tenchi Muyo Ryo Ohki
    Key the Metal Idol
    Saber Marionette Ultimate Collection

Since none of these are avaliable in Australia. I've been wanting to see Key for years, but have never found a place where I can buy it.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonswillprevail
    get please teacher it is a interesting anime
    I watched the entire series last year already. And yeah, it was great! Thanks anyway. :]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast