Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: anyone else think that zelda games are getting more and more linear?

Otaku frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury may be famous one day frozen_mercury's Avatar
    Kansas (no, I do not know what happened to Dorothy and Toto)
    Thanks

anyone else think that zelda games are getting more and more linear?

No, I'm not talking about the new one coming out sometime which is link "all growed up," but instead the handheld games. the handheld games are really too easy, and I can manage to get through one in very little time. The only exception to this is the Four Swords game, and that is because it pretty much is a re-release of the Super Nintendo game. Please tell me what you think.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I think they're trying to transfer the cel-shade feel into the GBA, which is cool, but I think I'll have to agree with it's simplicity up to date. Four Swords is hard b/c you have to cooperate which could make any game hard. But Minish Cap? Didn't look worth getting this time around.

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Zelda, as well as all games (and feel free to argue, but it's just what I see), is getting easier. I mean, in the first one, you had to beat like 8 or 9 crazy dungeons in a world where you got little or no help. Even finding the dungeons could be difficult! But recently, it's like you can just walk up to someone and they'll be like "Hey, you can get *important item* guarded by *dungeon boss* at the dungeon found *gives exact map coordinents*." I mean, perhaps there is a slight exaggeration there, but recent games do tend to walk you through themselves nowadays...

Otaku serge2005 may be famous one day serge2005 may be famous one day serge2005's Avatar
    Thanks
    I just borrowed minish cap from a friend and I have to say If this is the future for zelda Then A lot of people are going to be mad
    I am the fire that light your wood. I'm the thunder that lights you night. I'm the wind that keeps you cool. are you wondering who I am? I'm the great wizard serge

http://bahamutpheonix.7.forumer.com/index.php
    please join this site if you like any type of games

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vb0xn4rd
    Zelda, as well as all games (and feel free to argue, but it's just what I see), is getting easier. I mean, in the first one, you had to beat like 8 or 9 crazy dungeons in a world where you got little or no help. Even finding the dungeons could be difficult! But recently, it's like you can just walk up to someone and they'll be like "Hey, you can get *important item* guarded by *dungeon boss* at the dungeon found *gives exact map coordinents*." I mean, perhaps there is a slight exaggeration there, but recent games do tend to walk you through themselves nowadays...
    And if you're too much of a dipshit to figure out the clues, there's always *drumroll* the internet! There's guides, cheat, and tricks everywhere on the web on what you can do, how to get what, everywhere!

I agree that not just Zelda, but video games on the whole ARE alot easier nowadays. RPGs used to be mind-boggling virtual puzzles, now they seem toned down, the games are shorter, easier, but more fun to look at. That's the downside to good graphics. With an 8-bit system, you could jam in as many things as you wanted in a game, until the cartidge ran outta room. I think to myself sometimes just how long we could make a video game if you used 16-bit graphics, on a disc and ran it on a PS2, gamecube, X-box, whatever! Even Morrowwind would be beaten out in gameplay.

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark.
    And if you're too much of a dipshit to figure out the clues, there's always *drumroll* the internet! There's guides, cheat, and tricks everywhere on the web on what you can do, how to get what, everywhere!

I agree that not just Zelda, but video games on the whole ARE alot easier nowadays. RPGs used to be mind-boggling virtual puzzles, now they seem toned down, the games are shorter, easier, but more fun to look at. That's the downside to good graphics. With an 8-bit system, you could jam in as many things as you wanted in a game, until the cartidge ran outta room. I think to myself sometimes just how long we could make a video game if you used 16-bit graphics, on a disc and ran it on a PS2, gamecube, X-box, whatever! Even Morrowwind would be beaten out in gameplay.
    I hate to get off-topic, but I think you may have stumbled upon the greatest idea in the history of video gaming. I mean, think of how your idea of less graphics but more gameplay could be implemented. Let's go with a classic like FF4 from SNES, which took up somewhere around 5 megs of space, mebbe less. Now, if a DVD holds somewhere around 4.7 GIGS, just think, you could have an awesome game like FF4 that has almost 1000x more gameplay then the original! Now, mebbe that's a little too grand for non-hardcore gamers, so mebbe we'll just go back to the age of FF7 (which is currently being touted as the best FF ever in my thread). It's awesome as is, of course, but just think how much greater it could have been if it were doubled in length. Now, as long as some effort was put into it, so that they weren't just stuffing filler into the extra 2 gigs, a truly epic game could be born!

And to get this thread back to Zelda, consider this: Instead of having 8 dungeons to beat in the setting of a single country, imagine playing through a couple hundred dungeons spread across an entire world! I believe the words "epic adventure the likes of which have never been seen by mortals" should come to mind...
    Last edited by vb0xn4rd; Apr 11, 2005 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Do you mean like a super mario, old-school based game? just go from dungeon to dungeon? Or actually that many with a huge map? I mean I like the idea of tons of levels, but 3D version's sidequests are still really interesting, traveling back and forth across the area trading stuff for the ulitimate weapon. (biggoron sword anyone?)

The oracle of ages and seasons for GBC was one of the longer if not longest zelda games ever. It's got secret weapons, secret levels, and it's divided into two separate games, but revolved around one story. Nothing special to look at but, still a fairly challenging and interesting game. I can only imagine how much longer and maybe even crisper looking it would've looked on a disc. It would've rivaled OoT in 3D.

Veteran False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth is making a name for themselves False Truth's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you two haven't realized it by now, all of the Zelda games are linear. Your point is to find the master sword and defeat Gannon. Along the way, you have to get other items in order to acquire the sword and other items are needed to defeat gannon. The formula hasn't changed, only with the recent gameboy games has the boss changed, but the linearity of all of the zelda games is pretty much the same.

This signature is within the limits upheld by the forum rules. Unless the rules change, do not remove.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast