Thread: Apple Machines using Intel proccessors

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple Machines using Intel proccessors

A stormy, decade-long relationship between Apple Computer Inc. and IBM is over, according to published reports. Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to announce Monday morning at the company's software developers conference in San Francisco that Apple will discontinue using microprocessor chips made by IBM in favor of Intel chips, according to CNET Networks Inc.'s News.com and The Wall Street Journal.

Officials from Apple, Intel Corp. and International Business Machines Corp. could not be reached Sunday to confirm the report.

For years, rumors of Apple's wish to jump to Intel have been circulating. But two weeks ago, analysts were skeptical when The Wall Street Journal reported that Intel and Apple were in negotiations.

One reason for the skepticism is that the move represents a significant risk for Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple.

Switching to Intel's x86 chips would force Apple's programmers to rewrite its software in order to adapt to the new processor.

"I don't know that Apple's market share can survive another architecture shift," Insight 64 analyst Nathan Brookwood told News.com. "Every time they do this, they lose more customers."

News.com reported that Apple would begin the transition to Intel with its lower-end computers, such as the Mac Mini, in mid-2006 and higher-end models a year later.

Apple's break with IBM stemmed from Jobs' wish that IBM make a larger variety of the PowerPC processors used in Macintosh systems. IBM balked because of concerns over the profitability of a low-volume business, News.com reported.

By wrestling away Apple's business from IBM, Intel tightens its stranglehold on the PC processor business. The company holds more than an 80 percent share of the market.

Although IBM suffers a setback with the loss of Apple, the company could reap a financial windfall from deals with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony Corp (SNE.N). to put microprocessors it is producing in next-generation video-game consoles.

A new microprocessor that IBM co-developed with Sony and Toshiba Corp, code-named Cell and planned for Sony's next PlayStation console, is being touted as capable of delivering 10 times the performance of today's PC processors.
    I guess this means Windows could one day run natively on a mac....

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

This really isn't that surprising... O.S. X is based on the FreeBSD kernal, and in turn, FreeBSD is derived from the BSD-X86 project that was documented in the Dr Jobbs journal in the early 90s.

The one big advantage that Intel has over the PowerPC platform is the low power Pentium M cpu. There is no power conserving PowerPC cpu for laptops, which puts Apple at a big disadvantage for power consumption, heat management, and battery charge duration...

Here's the link to the CNet article that your quote refers too...
    http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+I...?tag=nefd.lede

Edit: Steve Jobs made the anouncement this morning for official Apple support for Intel Hardware...
    http://news.com.com/Its+official+App...l?tag=nefd.top
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller may be famous one day sorrowfulkiller's Avatar
    Thanks
    In other words In coming years I'll finally have a dual boot WIN/MAC PC, SWEET!
    If I gave you pretty enough words.
    could you pain a picture of us that works.
    an emphasis on function rather than design.
    aren't you tired cause I will carry you, on a broken back
    and blown out knees, I have been where you are for a while..
    Aren't you tired of being weak?
    Such rage that you could scream. the stars right out of the sky
    And destroy the prettiest starry night. every evening that I die.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrowfulkiller
    In other words In coming years I'll finally have a dual boot WIN/MAC PC, SWEET!

I don't think that will happen anytime soon, Apple will some how find a way to prevent that from being possible

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah....... but it'll make running linux on a mac easier as noone that i know of has successfully ported linux over onto the existing mac infrastructure..........

could be wrong there tho.....

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Newbie algorithm may be famous one day algorithm may be famous one day
    Thanks

Post intel..

a surprising move by Apple; hopefully intel will design a different processor that would help bring the mac & pc interfaces closer together, without suffering any compatibility loss..

Otaku maverickvns may be famous one day maverickvns may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i doubt intel will make an entirely separate processor just for apple. steve jobs chose intel because their chips currently are more efficient per watt and a more promising roadmap [along with a few more speculated reasons such as brand name and high volumes]. to make a new processor means they'll have to produce another chip which'll take years to design and apple plans to have desktops with intel cpu's available retail by summer 2006. besides, there's dev kits available either now or real soon with p4 3.6's in it for software developers.