Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arrest in hit-and-run deaths

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Arrest in hit-and-run deaths

TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- A former elementary school dance teacher has been sentenced to two years of house arrest for speeding away after her car hit and killed two young Florida brothers last year.

Twenty-nine-year-old Jennifer Porter of Land O' Lakes pleaded guilty in August to leaving the scene. Thirteen-year-old Bryant Wilkins and his three-year-old brother Durantae Caldwell were killed.

Porter could have faced up to 15 years in prison if convicted at trial, but a judge said Porter had a clean police record and underwent extreme trauma at the time of the accident.

Porter also must serve three years probation, perform 500 hours of community service and receive psychiatric treatment.

The children were black and there have been complaints that Porter got off lightly because she is white.
    This woman hit these children and left the scene of the accident with the blood still on her car. Her father later reported that while she went to work the next day he cleaned the car of blood.

Two children died because this woman hit them and told no one.

All she recieved was house arrest and probation? My question for you is, do you think this is fair punishment? Do you agree that race played a part?

This is not a discussion, if it turns into one please place the thread where needed. However I meant only to see what the members of AO think about this unfair justice rather than make a debate.
    Last edited by Kasai; Nov 07, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
    Seduced by Flesh

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Arrest in hit-and-run deaths

Horrible. If it were up to me i'd have her beat with a sack full of frozen jawbreakers.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont think it was unfair at all. She obviously made a mistake of leaving the scene due to shock. She didnt intentionally cause the accident. It was a accident, so i wouldnt call her a murderer.

No i dont think race played a part. Some ppl like to pull out the race card anytime a white person gets off with a lesser sentence when the victem is black.

@narrator

She didnt intentionally hurt these kids. She just made a bad judgment call do to emotional shock.

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    @narrator

She didnt intentionally hurt these kids. She just made a bad judgment call do to emotional shock.
    That's easy to say when the child didn't belong to you, imagine for one second if you were the parent....i seriously doubt you'd still be thinking so lenient.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narrator
    That's easy to say when the child didn't belong to you, imagine for one second if you were the parent....i seriously doubt you'd still be thinking so lenient.
    Maybe at first I would, but then id realize it she didnt mean to kill my kids. Now if she was drunk or something. Then id want her head on a platter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    I dont think it was unfair at all. She obviously made a mistake of leaving the scene due to shock. She didnt intentionally cause the accident. It was a accident, so i wouldnt call her a murderer.

No i dont think race played a part. Some ppl like to pull out the race card anytime a white person gets off with a lesser sentence when the victem is black.

@narrator

This women is a teacher. If she goes into shock after hitting children...I'd hate to see how she'd react in a classroom full of children if something went wrong.

The shock thing is not a good card to play. After her shock she sure enough went to work.

The fact is after her shock wore off she should have made sure thatthe authorities were notified of the accident.

No one knew he hit these kids for a few days.
    Seduced by Flesh

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

You have to ask two questions.
    1) Was it accidental.
    2) Did she leave the scene of a crime.

The two are completely different charges with different punishments.

If the answer to 1 is yes then punishment is usually minimal. An accident is an accident.

If the answer to 2 is yes then usually they throw the book at them, unless there is mitigating curcumstance.

It sounds as if it was not only a definate accident but that a court recognized and/or appointed psyciatrist determined that she was not in her right mind due to shock after the occurance and was not thinking clearly enough for her leaving the scene to be a delebrate breaking of the law. As such she would get a minimal sentance for manslaughter and a determinable one for leaving the scene of the crime.

Recognizing that I know nothing about this case and hadn't heard anything about it till you posted I would have to say her sentance is reasonable.

2 years of house arrest,
    3 years probation,
    500 hours of community service,
    psychiatric treatment.

It also appears that she will probably have to live with the trama of what happened for the rest of her life. As a school teacher I can see how it would be extreamly tramatic to accidently hit children with a car. There is a big diffence between trying to keep discipline in a class room and accidental death. If she continues to teach I will be surprised.

IMO the person needing to be up on charges is her father for trying to cover it up (assuming he knew) while she was not herself.

Maybe question in that case is what would you do if a family member showed up at your door falling to peices because they think they might have killed someone? Would you cover it up or would you turn them in?
    Last edited by Arrianna; Nov 07, 2005 at 01:35 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

Turn them in.

I see your point, Ari. However my opinion still stands. She deserves more punishment, not a slap on the wrist. This woman turned herself in.
    Seduced by Flesh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast