Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Arrest in hit-and-run deaths

Self Banned and Loving it narrator may be famous one day narrator may be famous one day narrator's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Arrest in hit-and-run deaths

Why is nobody listening to me? Doesn't anyone beleive in ruthless street justice anymore?

Otaku Suzy may be famous one day Suzy may be famous one day Suzy's Avatar
    In Puerto Rico the stinkiest place on earth.^~^
    Thanks

The punishment was fair that women deserve to be arestada for not tellin. No one noes the children could be safe if she told.
    '' Death, cruelty, murder the things i have hate forever, Life is like a test with a limited time'' And doesnt have any sign''
    I wish i could help you but i make things worst, by liken you

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

I just arrived in New York City from Tampa, Florida, where I was looking into a deadly hit-and-run accident that has just come to a dramatic conclusion...

Who would leave dead children in the road after hitting them with a car?

An elementary school dance teacher in Tampa, Florida did just that, but according to her lawyer she had a good excuse. Barry Cohen, the attorney representing Jennifer Porter says she had an "acute stress reaction" after her car slammed into four young children who were holding hands as they crossed the street.

The 29-year-old teacher was driving down a shady road that lines a popular neighborhood park in May of 2004 when it happened. A 13-year-old boy was killed instantly, so was his three-year-old brother, who was dragged over 150 feet after being slammed to the ground. Their eight and two-year-old siblings survived, but were seriously injured. After Porter hit the kids, she took off, not stopping to see what she hit. She drove to her parents house where her dad wiped the blood off the car, and told his daughter NOT to call the police right away. Porter's father, James Greg, has said that he was worried because Jennifer had curled up into a fetal position, and he thought she might commit suicide if she saw the bloody mess.

The accident rocked the community — and so has the driver’s sentence. After listening to 15 hours of testimony last week, Hillsborough Circuit Judge Emmett Lamar Battles gave Jennifer Porter two years house arrest and three years probation — NO JAIL TIME. The sentence is a big problem for some community members who are calling the sentence racist and unfair.

Jennifer Porter is white. The children: black. And there's more...

Another problem according to those outraged over the case, Jennifer Porter's parents. The district attorney did not press charges for obstruction of justice. Jennifer Porter could have received three years in prison with the plea deal her lawyer arranged when she pled guilty. If she had gone to trial, she could have faced up to 15 years behind bars.

Yesterday, we went to a press conference with her attorney Barry Cohen to address the community's concerns. We also went to the scene of the crime to show you where it happened. While I was standing at the spot where the kids were hit, people walking by saw our cameras and just started yelling, "if you do the crime, you gotta do the time." The sentencing is not the end of the story. Rallies and marches to protest the judge's sentencing are planned for this coming week. Hope you follow the story on Wednesday's program and here on the blog.
    Link: http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/blog.p...ab5220d35d8b21

Here is an updated news story. Stress? She got off for stress? Her own father was not even tried in the court of law.
    Last edited by Kasai; Nov 10, 2005 at 02:42 AM.
    Seduced by Flesh

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Link: http://www.geraldoatlarge.com/blog.p...ab5220d35d8b21

Here is an updated news story. Stress? She got off for stress? Her own father was not even tried in the court of law.
    Porter's father, James Greg, has said that he was worried because Jennifer had curled up into a fetal position, and he thought she might commit suicide if she saw the bloody mess.
    hmmm.. hope you never have that kind of stress.

Acute stress reaction<-link
    Acute stress reactionis a transient condition that develops in response to a traumatic event. The symptoms of acute stress reaction begin within minutes of the traumatic event and disappear within days (even hours). Symptoms include a varying mixture of:

* An initial state of `daze' · Narrowing of attention
    * Reduced levels of consciousness · Disorientation
    * Agitation or overactivity · Depression
    * Withdrawal · Amnesia
    * Anxiety symptoms (e.g., sweating, increased heart rate, flushing)

The traumatic events that can lead to an acute stress reaction are of similar severity to those involved in Post-traumatic stress disorder.
    "Days". That would explain why it took 2 days for her to turn herself in.

Post-traumatic stress disorder,<-link
    PTSD is a severe disorder that is very difficult to treat. Referral to a clinician who has expertise in the treatment of PTSD is recommended. Effective treatment involves helping the individual to systematically confront experiences, memories, and situations associated with the traumatic event. This treatment can result in intense emotional responses to memories of the trauma and requires considerable therapeutic skill.
    I understand why you're upset Kasai, it's very upsetting when children get hurt, but it seems that you're letting your anger over what happened prevent you from seeing the whole picture. That you are jumping on anything that appears to back up your anger without looking into what it actually means. The "stress" you are getting upset about is compared to what people go through who have been tortured. In accidents like this there is always more then one victim. There is the one injured and the one who did the injury.

Now at first I was torqued that the father hadn't been charged either then I read the description of her diagnosis. I can't imagine watching a family member go through something like that to the degree of being afraid that they would commit suicide, or perhaps I can. When I was 18 I had a late night intervention with a friend who had been raped by her cousin and was about to kill herself. She was unconsolable. Nothing I said could get through to her. In the end I had to threaten to kill her myself to get her to stop (the ridiculousness of that got through when nothing else would) and even then it was 2 days before I could take my eyes off of her. She was not herself and was not thinking clearly, if at all. As a result if the father in this case supported her going to the police once he was no longer afraid for her sanity I can understand why he wouldn't be charged. But.... we don't know, do we.

Speaking generally:

As for everyone who thinks she should be run over with a car herself. The word accident means it was not on purpose. It was unforseen. It could happen to you.

In the very first post there was a question asked that was addressed only by Kastelic, "Do you agree that race played a part?"

To answer that you have to turn the question on it's head. Would people be reacting like this if the children where white and she had recieved the same sentance?

There was a few cases that happened here several years ago with just that senario. Two cases where a child was run over by a hit and run. In one it was accidental but the person just tried to cover it up and get away with it. The book was thrown at them and justly so. In the second though it was an accident and the person took responsibility for it. While people were upset it happened they were also concerned for the person who was going to have to live with what they had done. Sentancing was minimal. In both cases the person responsible and the child were white.

Now I can't say for sure that in the case the thread is on that there was no leniency due to someone in the legal process being racist. It happens. But it does appear to me that alot of the furor over what happened could also be racist due to the color of the teachers skin. It goes both ways.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Thanks

According to the World Health Organization's (WHO) International Classification of Diseases (ICD)-10th Edition, acute stress reaction is diagnosed when:
    The individual has been exposed to a traumatic event.
    Symptoms begin within 1 hour of the traumatic experience.
    Relevant symptom criteria are met (see ICD-10 for details)
    Symptoms begin to diminish within 2 days.
    The reaction occurs in the absence of any other mental or behavioural disorder.
    According to that same site...Her symptoms should not have began until an hour within having that accident. Not immediately after. How long it took her to get to her parents house, I'm not sure on.

At the moment of the accident she was in her right mind. She should have stoppped, checked on the children, and called the police. She did none of those things.

She kept driving. By the time she reached her parents home she was incountering the symptoms of her diagnosis.
    Seduced by Flesh

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

According to that same site...Her symptoms should not have began until an hour within having that accident. Not immediately after. How long it took her to get to her parents house, I'm not sure on.

At the moment of the accident she was in her right mind. She should have stoppped, checked on the children, and called the police. She did none of those things.

She kept driving. By the time she reached her parents home she was incountering the symptoms of her diagnosis.
    You're jumping to conclusions again without checking the meaning of the word.

with·in
    prep.

1. In the inner part or parts of; inside: resentment seething within him.
    a. Inside the limits or extent of in time or distance: arrived within two days; stayed within earshot; within ten miles of home.
    b. Inside the fixed limits of; not beyond: lived within her income.
    c. In the scope or sphere of: acted within the law; within the medical profession.
    d. Inside a specified amount or degree: The team had pulled to within five points of winning.

Or in other words any time within an hour but not after one hour. It could have been instantanous or 59 minutes and 59 seconds. Unless you can find a medical statement on when it took affect you are mearly assuming that she didn't react until she got home. The court found she was not in her right mind when leaving the scene of the accident. Which would indicate the former rather then the latter.

BTW, will it make you feel better to know that it's possible she will develop PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder<-link) and possibly Chronic PTSD?

PTSD<-link
    post-traumatic stress disorder is a normal emotional and psychological reaction to trauma (a painful, shocking experience such as rape, war or a natural disaster) that is outside of a person's normal life experiences.

Anyone who experiences a traumatic event can suffer from PTSD. PTSD can affect survivors of war, violent attacks, rape, car or plane accidents and natural disasters and can also affect people who witness these events.

Symptoms of PTSD include recurrent memories or flashbacks of the trauma, nightmares, insomnia and/or lack of interest in family, friends or hobbies. They may suffer from depression. They may also suffer from survivor guilt, have overwhelming emotions, and be irritable or jumpy.
    Evidently my comparison with my friend who was raped when I was 18 was more accurate then I realized. It certainly explains why part of her sentance is court ordered "psychiatric treatment".

Thanks

An accident. I'm tired of trying to understand it. It doesnt matter if she gets a higher punishment, two lives were taken. I just hope Jennfir Porter is truly feeling remorse.

Thnx Ari for your opinions, lovely.
    Seduced by Flesh

Thanks

I just hope Jennfir Porter is truly feeling remorse.
    So do I Kasai, so do I.

PS. you're welcome

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3