Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atheism and Christianity

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

Atheism and Christianity

[READ ALL OF WHAT I HAVE TO SAY, BECAUSE ITS IMPORTANT. UNDERSTAND ALL OF IT, OR DON'T POST. THIS COULD EASILY GO OFF SUBJECT IF YOU'RE TOO LAZY TO READ IT]

I've noticed that Athiest and Christians alike totally attack and flame eachother trying to prove to eachother that one of them is correct, when in reality, neither of them will accept the others "truth".

So why is this? Psycologically speaking, people "have to have their way, and make everyone believe what THEY think." This is a normall response to every human-to uphold his life view and spread it to others.

Also, Whichever you think is right or wrong, The only way people get the idea in the first place is by growing up and hearing about the "truth" all the time from the people around him/her. If everyone taugt athiesm to a boy/girl, they would grow up with that belief.

Why don't older people accept others truths as youths? Well, the youthfull mind is subject to others opinions because he/she is trying to find themselves in the world, and they care a lot more what others think of them. Older people already gained a "world view" and were taught not to give that up. So they fight and bicker about it.

Even people who say others are "close minded" are full of bogus crap. They often express this when you disallow either athiesm or christianity "facts" to sway you one way. Example: the preacher calls you stupid and close minded if you tell him you believe in athiest views. Example 2: You try to "preach the gospel" to an athiest in a public place. He calls you close minded because you don't get "his truth".....In both these scenarios, the priest and the atheist are themselves close minded because I bet they never studied in detail what the others "truths" really are. Since athiest views are taught in public schools however, christians have some more knowlage than most athiests who know fully about christianity, but some atheists do read a lot of the bible as well, but not as much.

So do you just flame or call names without knowing what the other sides full views are? ALL OF THE VIEWS??? There are lots of "christian denominations" such as catholics, evangelicals, mormons,- do you look at all of them?

This of course is just athiesm and christianity, and there are lots of other religions and scientific beliefs out there that other poeple accept as truth and others don't.
    Last edited by youth_anime_fan; Mar 15, 2005 at 07:58 PM.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Look, when you reach a certain age, you obtain what your personally is for probaly the rest of your life. Youth are a little gullible and naive which I think we all have been, and half the time, what would they agrue about? A man's entitled to his opinion some guy said, so it's somewhat impossible to be mutally accepting of EVERYTHING you hear. Each belief contradicts another at one time or another, and views will clash. I hate to call it bickering, but when you believe in something so deeply that you are willing to go to the ends of the earth to defend your opinion, that's when you see agruing. It's a powerful, deep, and sensitive subject.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    For a serious answer to what I think is the subject. I am religious (big shock I know) but I also love science. I see no problem between the two. In fact they often compliment each other.

Because of that I have had some great discussions in the past with Atheists. We talk for about half an hour and then they all ask me, "Why does someone so intellegent believe in reigion". My answer? Because I know it's true. I have had experiences that are incontrovertible proof to me that it is true. But not everyone has had the same experiences I have and even if they had it may not effect them the same way.

I believe we have minds for a reason and I believe in testing things to find truth. In science it's called the scientific method. In the scriptures it's reffered to as fruits. "By their fruits ye shall know them". The point is if you really want to know it is possible to find out. You can test it. But you have to be willing to accept the results whatever they may be otherwise the test is "tainted".

That is why it blows my mind when I see people around me doing all the wrong things and wondering why they're not happy. I just want to look at them and ask (and sometimes do) "You've seen ___ do the same thing and they're miserable! Why did you do it?" And their answer every time? "I thought I would be different."

Arrggggghhhh!!!!

Look people, if someone lies to someone else they'll lie to you. If you see someone who is miserable and you do the same things they do you will be too. And if you find someone who is genuinely happy, figure out what they're doing right and give it a try.

Ok, rant over.

Just two more thoughts.

I have never had a discussion with an agnostic. Not because I didn't try but because in my experience their minds are closed. They seem to be the exact opposite of the people who believe everything, at the same time. Neither has to stop and think. One because they won't allow a new thought in because it doesn't matter anyway (you can't know) and the other because it doesn't matter anyway (it's all true).

Every person eventually comes to a point in their life when they have to decide for themselves if they're going to believe what they were taught... or not.

I hope this was on topic.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 15, 2005 at 10:02 PM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hrm....i'm not sure what you're trying to "discuss" here....but I agree with your point...but I would be very careful about your word choices. Not all people feel this way....IE: not all athiests or christian's are like this. I for one am Catholic and never try to force my beliefs on anyone.

I believe that I have the right to talk about my religion, to tell you what it's about to tell you what I believe is right or wrong but it all ends there. You can take what you want from what I tell you and leave the rest. But don't judge or try and degrade what I tell you is my belief.

I find that what you wrote is not so much about religion but more about people reading and trying to understand another's point rather than be defensive and simply argue about something they really don't have to argue, or even...there's no point in arguing.

I've learnt a lot about other religions and viewpoints from religious discussions on forums much like this and even on forums within online games. The point is, respect one another and never force anything on anyone....even if it isn't religion, if someone doesn't belive what you do, that's not a problem....people are different, you learnt this in kindergarden...live with it.

I know i know, people are gonna say...but you're Christian and you're supposed to spread the word, etc, etc. But think about this. You force someone to believe. you nag and nag until they come to Church with you....what then? Do you think that because they sit quietly in Church with you that they will believe with all their heart? No. People will only truely believe things they find for themselves. Will you think that you've accomplished some grand goal by forcing someone to Church? Think again, it's not that simple.

I can go on and on....but really in the end, it's a matter of respect and learning that because someone tells you about what they believe is true or real...doesn't mean that by seeing their point or by learning about it, that you believe it too. Studying a religion doesn't necessarily mean you believe it....it means you're learning about how different people think and see this world.

People who say I'm not gonna look at that...or try to understand, are just scared about what they're gonna find out or how it will shake up their original beliefs. Go out and learn about people, cultures and religions...it will only strengthen what you already know or question what you think you knew.

||sorry for rambling||
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Newbie Chizu may be famous one day Chizu may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I need explanation of this picture:

http://www.jcnot4me.com/images/Universe-2-web.gif

If I were to tell you to believe that I am invisible, you would rightly correct me and say that you can't believe that, but you could pretend that. To actually believe something, you'd have to be convinced- you'd have to really "see" it. In light of this, it becomes obvious that Christians have hijacked the word "believe". The word "pretend" would actually better fit the way Christians use the word.

(((atheist)))

As Atheism cures tithing, you’ll get an instant 10% raise in take-home pay.
    You’re inoculated against Christian suicide cults like People’s Temple or Heaven’s Gate.
    Those "voices in your head" claiming to be God can now be cured with a pill.
    Hell becomes as phony as the boogie man.
    The celestial “Peeping Tom” who watched as you wiped your ass ceases to exist.
    You realize there are no ghosts or goblins- really!
    There are not, nor ever have been, any “evil spirits” hiding under your bed at night.
    Masturbation now cures more anxiety than causes.
    Premarital sex no longer causes “guilt hangovers” the next morning.
    You can be honest and really hate those you hate- no more pretend Christian “love”.
    You can now sleep in on Sunday mornings.
    If born gay, you no longer have to lie to yourself.
    Money & hope are not wasted on faith healers.
    Families are no longer divided over petty religious squabbles.
    You no longer have to stay married to people you’ve grown to hate.
    Women don’t have to become “brood mares for Jesus” pumping out those kids.
    If Catholic, you can now use condoms to prevent infection & death if your spouse has aids.
    Girls can now abort pregnancies caused by drunken fathers or football teams.
    If Catholic, you can now intelligently plan your family size via birth control.
    If Mormon, you can now drink tea, coffee, and coke.
    If Mormon, you can now give & receive oral sex, and trash the goofy magic underwear.
    If you were a Fundy, you can now drink a toast with friends at weddings.
    If you were a Fundy, you’re now allowed to dance and see movies.
    If you were a Liberal, you can now be honest about your Atheism.
    When you hit your thumb with a hammer, you can now swear like a sailor.
    As science advances, you don't have to “circle the wagons” to defend Biblical cosmology.
    If mugged, rather than turn the other cheek, you’re now allowed to fight back.
    You can lust as nature intended you to without apologies or self-induced guilt.
    You can now be rightfully proud of your accomplishments- no more false humility.
    If you were a Fundy woman, you can use makeup & clothing to look stylish & sexy.
    You’ll never miss another NFL game due to long winded preachers.
    If you’re a Catholic priest, you can now have sex with people other than choir boys.
    If you’re a “nun” you can now get “some”.
    And you’re now free to think & question without fear of pissing off some insecure deity.
    Last edited by Chizu; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:05 PM.

AO Angel ^^ angelan may be famous one day angelan may be famous one day angelan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizu
    I need explanation of this picture:

http://www.jcnot4me.com/images/Universe-2-web.gif
    that picture is simply called someone who has too much time on their hands to take the bible in a 200% literal form. and i personally don't want to justify any of it with an answer any longer than this. If he truely believes what he drew there....then i'm sorry for making fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chizu
    If I were to tell you to believe that I am invisible, you would rightly correct me and say that you can't believe that, but you could pretend that. To actually believe something, you'd have to be convinced- you'd have to really "see" it. In light of this, it becomes obvious that Christians have hijacked the word "believe". The word "pretend" would actually better fit the way Christians use the word.
    no...if you told me to believe that you are invisible, i simply wouldn't believe you. I can't correct your "command" since you are telling me. On the other hand, if you told me that YOU believe you're invisible....then I'd say....Good for you. But...I don't believe you because I can see you. You will continue to try and justify all that with your reasoning and I will leave you to that...but you can never force me to believe. If I agree with you....and not actually believe that what you said is true, THEN that is pretending.

I do not PRETEND that God exists....I BELIEVE he exists. Yes I am convinced that God exists. Someone who claims they belive but are not convinced or do not accept it as true, then....they pretend. Please get your definitions straight.

People who say "seeing is believing" have haijacked the word....not Christians or people of any other faith for that matter.

From Merriam-Webster Online:
    be·lieve
    1 a : to have a firm religious faith b : to accept as true, genuine, or real <ideals we believe in> <believes in ghosts>
    2 : to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something <believe in exercise>
    3 : to hold an opinion : THINK <I believe so>

pre·tend
    1 : to give a false appearance of being, possessing, or performing <does not pretend to be a psychiatrist>
    2 a : to make believe : FEIGN <he pretended deafness> b : to claim, represent, or assert falsely <pretending an emotion he could not really feel>
    3 archaic : VENTURE, UNDERTAKE
    one more thing....i DIDN'T find your post funny. Sorry.
    Last edited by angelan; Mar 15, 2005 at 10:30 PM.
    -=|AnimeReflections|Live-Evil|My Trades|=-

Put your unused CPU to use for a good cause: |Folding@Home||Human Proteome Folding|

Newbie Chizu may be famous one day Chizu may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Have you ever seen a ghost ?
    Do you beleave in a ghost ? Why ?

(((Christianity)))

Religious wars in the Balkans.
    Religious wars in Ireland.
    Religious wars in Africa.
    Discrimination against women, gays, and non-Christians.
    Used to justify slavery in pre-civil war America.
    Blow up clinics, shoot doctors and nurses.
    Turns families against each other, forbids marriage outside of group.
    Tsunami (Christians refused to help unless they converted, or any one of thousands of examples from beheading innocents and self-detonation to the show of utter contempt for their fellow man.) http://in.news.yahoo.com/050116/139/2j1rp.html

Christians were noticeably absent from making many public comments immediately following the September 11th terrorist attacks. They knew the question that was on everyone's mind: Where was God? Well, he was in the same place as Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy: the fantasyland that exists within people's minds. Fact is, the Christians had no good explanation, and still don't. But that hasn't stopped them from hijacking the entire episode and perverting it into something to promote even more religion as the solution, as if religion wasn't the cause of the tragedy in the first place. The media as usual has sucked up to the religionists, and thus I feel compelled to speak out on the behalf of common sense.
    Last edited by Chizu; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM.

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Chizu, your posts are complete off-topic. Please keep your posts relevant to the topic at hand.
    This thread is about the relationship between Atheists and Christians, NOT about how much you hate Christianity.

If you can't post on-topic, please refrain from posting in the thread. Religion-related topics are as emotionally charged as they can get. Flaming and belief-bashing by anyone will not be tolerated. There will be no flaming of other people's beliefs, whether they be Monotheist, Polytheist, or Atheist.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast