Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atheism and Christianity

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    well dark has already made my point about younger kids and why they are more believing of a lot of things, not because they are gullible but more that they are more trusting and is not as suspecting of others than older folks

for either side, there is no truth for them. why? because in the Christian world, only God and Jesus knows the truth. And in the science world, there's no truth because there's always more to find out. That's all I have to say, because I have nothing on my mind

EDIT: I just read the posts afterwards and whoa! Godammnit, or in for other believers Einsteindammnit or whatever stop attacking religions people. What's the matter with you, let it go and if we wanna talk about discrimination...check this out, science was used to prove that whites were superior over "negros" and "chinamen" because of the way their body is built.
    Last edited by Legend; Mar 15, 2005 at 11:25 PM. Reason: yeah, im chinese so what shoot me

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

The heart of the problem is the following truth... "Religious belief is based on faith, not logic"

Now philosophers and learned men of religion have been trying to logically prove the existence or nonexistence of God for centuries, from the introduction of Greek logic. And so far, the only thing that has been proven through logic is the agnostic position (It is not logically possible to either prove or disprove the existence of God)

Atheism and Christianity are diametrically opposed beliefs. If one is correct, then the other must be incorrect. And of course people who have strong feelings for their belief would want to prove that the challenge to their belief is incorrect... But with either position being based on faith, (though many Atheist have the mistaken belief that if you can't logically prove the existence of God, that proves the nonexistence of God. This concept is logically flawed), it's not logically possible to prove or disprove either position.

And yes, it is hard to have a discussion on religion with an agnostic, because all they do is point out logical flaws in your argument without taking a positions on their own. (But that what agnostics believe in!!!) Very much like talking to Quality Assurance Engineers... (How many Q.A. Engineers does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: None, they only report the problems, they don't do anything to fix them...)

As for seeing a ghost?? How would I know if I saw one? What are the characteristics of a ghost? How can I measure one? The philosophy of using the rules of logic to view the world (otherwise known as SCIENCE) requires phenomenom be defined in a consistent and observable fashion. Until someone comes up with a universally agreed definition to measure and observe 'God', Science cannot provide any information on it's existence...(or nonexistence...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    No matter which you believe in, neither will ever find all the answers to the questions we are looking for. They naturally conflict each other because there is always wants to be a person there when the other is wrong so they can say, "I told you so". I don't think it'll ever truly end.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    If I may touch on ghosts?

I personally have never met one. The number of aquiantences, freinds, and family I know who have are to numerous to be counted. Their experiences seem to fall in three catagories. The first is when their life is actually in danger and "someone" steps in to help them, tell them what to do, or comfort them until help could get there. It was even freakier when they found the persons picture in old family photo albums of peple who had been dead for 50-100 years. The second is when someone had just died or was about to. The third were horribly scary experiences that they didn't really want to talk about beyond warning others not to play around with the spirit world.

Not everyone I know who has seen a ghost is Christian or even religious. I have meet several atheists who have had near death experiences or have seen family that had already passed on. I know that non-Christian religions all have a belief in spirits of many kinds. The only people again that I have met who don't believe in ghosts are agnostics and I seem to remember meeting one who did, it surprised me based on past experience.

So I don't think that a belief in ghosts is something exclusive to one or the other. It is a personal belief that transcendes religious lines.

Edit: I forgot hauntings, spirits that hang around because they don't seem to have anything better to do.
    Last edited by Arrianna; Mar 16, 2005 at 10:15 AM.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Chizu may be famous one day Chizu may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    If I may touch on ghosts?

I personally have never met one. The number of aquiantences, freinds, and family I know who have are to numerous to be counted. Their experiences seem to fall in three catagories. The first is when their life is actually in danger and "someone" steps in to help them, tell them what to do, or comfort them until help could get there. It was even freakier when they found the persons picture in old family photo albums of peple who had been dead for 50-100 years. The second is when someone had just died or was about to. The third were horribly scary experiences that they didn't really want to talk about beyond warning others not to play around with the spirit world.

Not everyone I know who has seen a ghost is Christian or even religious. I have meet several atheists who have had near death experiences or have seen family that had already passed on. I know that non-Christian religions all have a belief in spirits of many kinds. The only people again that I have met who don't believe in ghosts are agnostics and I seem to remember meeting one who did, it surprised me based on past experience.

So I don't think that a belief in ghosts is something exclusive to one or the other. It is a personal belief that transcendes religious lines.
    If you say they've seen one, Why didn't they take a pill or maybe a splash of water at the face. If i see one 1 day ill use my lighter and burn that ghost the hell out of it.

All peoples who think they saw one, failed at the lie detector.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks
    Well as far most things go, I agree with Angelan because I am also a Christian. They both contradict each other.

Well as for the youth part you mentioned. Youths are more open minded because there is now a lot different religions about. So with many different people having different views they are able to accept their different points and think about which ones apply to their lives, could be from many of the religions. As for Older people, there are only trying to defend the things they have come to know over the years and really care for it. I think when this generation of youths are older things might change and people will really accept the different points of views.

I don’t think that I have heard a preacher call any one close minded, but I am in the UK. I think that here people are more acceptant of what people believe and try not to convince some one to see things the way they see it because they know that they are pushing people away rather than the opposite. I personally do not believe in nagging at someone and forcing them to do something they do not want to do.
    For example, a friend of mine has recently become Christian well, about a year ago, but before I met her. However, now that she is at Uni, everything she says is about her religion, I don’t think she knew that the more you force things down peoples necks the more the grow to hate her and really hate being around her. She had no idea of what she is doing. I did tell in a different way that people hate being forced into doing something they don’t want to do and I think she doesn’t do it as much.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks

On Subject

Quote Originally Posted by Chizu
    If you say they've seen one, Why didn't they take a pill or maybe a splash of water at the face. If i see one 1 day ill use my lighter and burn that ghost the hell out of it.

All peoples who think they saw one, failed at the lie detector.
    [FYI]
    People usually don't see ghosts. Just like they can't see Angels. "Ghosts" refer to visable demons of satan. People get words mixed up because they are uneducated, but most just see the EFFECTS of spiritual entities.

[now back to post #1]

Have you read my post? Did you read the big blue letters?
    I want people to explain to me the psycological condition of hate ESPECIALLY between that of athiests and christians. I basically asked, "Why do we attack eachother, instead of listining for a while and just say 'well, i don't believe your opinion' , or say 'I don't want to hear that right now.'"

And in the cases of online or books that deal with such issues, some [not necesarily you] say that it's unavoidable. Here's a hint: Don't read it!!

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    I want people to explain to me the psycological condition of hate ESPECIALLY between that of athiests and christians. I basically asked, "Why do we attack eachother, instead of listining for a while and just say 'well, i don't believe your opinion' , or say 'I don't want to hear that right now.'"
    Really? I din't catch that.

Answer: Fear.

The people I know who attack or hate others with opposing veiws are afraid of finding out they're wrong. It's the same with descrimination of any kind. It's based on fear and insecurity.

Some people will point at atrocities commited in the name of religion as a reason to hate it. But they are missing a vital point, it was done "in the name of". That would be the equivalent of people who came in in the name of "freedom" who slaughter and rape thousands or even millions. (ex. French Revolution, Russian Comunist party, Germany in WWII, Al-Quaida.) Does anyone really believe they were after freedom? No, they were after power. People like that will use any excuse that is convienient to get what they want. Do not be decieved by what they claim to be.

The people I know who aren't afraid of asking and answering questions are the ones who are confident in their beliefs (whatever they may be) and are strenghtened by discussing them with others. Sometimes they even decide they were mistaken about something. And that goes for both Atheists and Christians.

But when you get down to it the enimity between Atheists and Christians is a historical one. Atheism started when a group seperated from Christianity at a time when the government was inseperable from the dominant religion. Much like how Japan was before they lost WWII. (Emperor=living God). In this case it was Monarch=Supreme Governor of the Church of England. Previous to then anyone who didn't believe in the current religion was either a heretic or an infidel. Atheism is a label they have given themselves.

Infidel:
    1. An unbeliever with respect to a particular religion, especially Christianity or Islam.
    2. One who has no religious beliefs.
    3. One who doubts or rejects a particular doctrine, system, or principle.

Atheist:
    1. One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast