Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12

Thread: Is Atheism a Religion?

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    In all technicality, Athiesm is not a religion.

considering the structure, beliefs and dedicated lifestyles of rituals thousands of years old, it's by far anything but in comparison to any religion. Atheists don't have those structures in any relation, but living life day to day without the need of that spiritual guidance religious folk feel they have. and it's not a denial of faith but a rejection of lifestyle.

Atheism believes proven logic over mysticism, in where paganism and religion lie. the logic proving that science or the proof of developing life is based on evolution, most definitely a theory, but much more potential to being proven than that of turning into a person from dust. but it's definitely a complicated matter which leads to the age old question, what's the secret of life?

some of the greatest scientists, galileo, davinci, etc. where indeed followers of the faith. because quite frankly, in the time they lived, they would be persecuted if they didn't believe in god over alchemy. And that's the only way they could have stayed living long enough to prove their theories and get commissoned.

for the most part, this thread seems like more of a weak attack on athiests and people imposing that religion is sound for everyone, even in the form of not having a religion is a religion. which is ridiculous.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like we're back to the, does religion have to have ritual and observances or is it simple a belief about God and life, death, and the afterlife. You can't say that simply not believing in God excludes it because there are several religions that don't. They do however have a stand on the subject as well as everything else described. Do you have to have it all to be a religion? Or is two out of three enough?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku nova may be famous one day nova may be famous one day nova's Avatar
    Thanks
    no you don't have to have it all to be a religion. but it's still a way of life. if athiest completely lacks all of that and no absolute belief system, how is it a religion? it's not.

Newbie Stormraven may be famous one day Stormraven may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova
    no you don't have to have it all to be a religion. but it's still a way of life. if athiest completely lacks all of that and no absolute belief system, how is it a religion? it's not.
    I agree that for such a person it isn't a religion. The trouble is that, and the reason I started thinking about the subject in the first place, I've observed three types of atheists out there. (Mind you, this describes alot of 'religious' folk too. The term 'sunday christian came about for a reason.)

1) the person who doesn't believe in god, but doesn't seem to believe in anything else either. I'm not talking about a lack of superstistions or whatever, but a genuine lack of faith in anything, be it freedom, love, integrity of his fellowman etc

2) the person who accepts atheism as a set of facts, the details of which may shift, but whose general principles remain the same. And then move on with their lives, giving it no more or less weight than the fact that the sky is blue.

3) the person who takes up atheism as a guiding principle and/or cause. Not necessarily a fanatic, just someone who gives the tenents of atheism all the emotional and philosophic weight that another gives religion.

This is leaving out the genuine fanatics - I personally feel that fanatacism is more a personality type than anything, who just happen to latch onto whatever ideology they endorse.

Materials Master KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi may be famous one day KnightofNi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Here are two thoughts that I have that prove both are correct at least I think. I far as I can tell from the atheists who have posted, there is no belief in a central being that we can nor cannot prove exists. Muslims, Buddists, almost every religion that has sprun up or popped up or have been created has a central figure which everybody can agree upon to be the ultimate supreme being in the universe. Even cults have a figure to which everybody in that cult can agree and follow as a "god", to disprove the existance of a god does not qualify as a requirement for religion because the accepted religions definitions don't fit. Also all these tangents are just getting out of hand, please keep this about the topic. Also, just as a curiosity who created atheism, who was the guy to first develop that idea. However I have another thought, because christianity, muslim, and all other religions were created at some point, then if you consider all these religions as ideas about how the universe works, then yes you can quallify atheism as a religion. It really depends on how you view what you believe.

Clan orders: Wear the signature of defeat with pride.

Newbie JaNayo450 may be famous one day JaNayo450 may be famous one day JaNayo450's Avatar
    Thanks
    well you must first catagorise by number of gods
    many poly-
    one mono-
    none a-
    and dont athiest's congragate at the mall?

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks
    OK this thread has being left wild for long time, flames, insults and a bunch of you know what is in here.... Since most of the people have expressed their point of view it is time to move on and close this....

Closed...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12