Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Atheism a Religion?

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    This thread looks like it's starting to transform into a religion vs. science thread rather is atheism a religion thread.

So on topic, I don't think atheism is a religion, it's a like many of you have said, a philopshy, and idea, and I think it's a dumb belief. It's derived from people who need an answer for absoulty everything, and instead of believing in far-fetched religion they come up with some other far-fetched idea and then try to justify it with science. But like I said, atheism is not religion, it's just an idea, and they don't have churches or temples or anything like other religions do.

Newbie Desert Dweller may be famous one day Desert Dweller may be famous one day Desert Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks
    atheism is more of a beleif and idont believe i came from a monkey......anyway thats what i think....
    white....it seems so pure.....but in reality......it becomes whatever blends with it....

Newbie shockskin may be famous one day shockskin may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Atheism is not a religion, it is when you believe there is no god. Everything else people consider is given. Not all atheists beleive in evolution either. Not all atheist all looking for "answers" either Dark. Some except the fact that we may never know. Period. As far as you belief in evolution, does it really matter? It's not like you just popped out of the sky, and if you did, who care? We're still here, why debate?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks to this question I have looked around and found a few interesting things.

Is Atheism a Religion?

Religion, from Wikipedia

I don't know if anyone wants to take the time to read them, but from them and other sources (these two were the easiest to read and comprehend) I found there are actually two (or more) definations of religion. One is what would be considered the act of religion. Organization, observation, the act of worship. The other is is belief structure concerning God, the creation of the world, and our role in it. Based on the first definition, no, Atheism is not a religion. Based on the second, yes, Atheism is a religion. The most interesting part is that both distinctions are recognized by law. So legally it is a religion all be it one with out form or worship.

Of course Atheist are going to say they're not religious. They're not. To be "religious" falls under the first definition ("religious implies adherence to religion in both belief and practice"). Also Atheism is a disbelief in God and religion is considered unalterably linked with that belief. To be told you're religious could then be construed as an insult and against their "religion's" beliefs and tends to be vehemently denied.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    Thanks to this question I have looked around and found a few interesting things.

Is Atheism a Religion?

Religion, from Wikipedia

I don't know if anyone wants to take the time to read them, but from them and other sources (these two were the easiest to read and comprehend) I found there are actually two (or more) definations of religion. One is what would be considered the act of religion. Organization, observation, the act of worship. The other is is belief structure concerning God, the creation of the world, and our role in it. Based on the first definition, no, Atheism is not a religion. Based on the second, yes, Atheism is a religion. The most interesting part is that both distinctions are recognized by law. So legally it is a religion all be it one with out form or worship.

Of course Atheist are going to say they're not religious. They're not. To be "religious" falls under the first definition ("religious implies adherence to religion in both belief and practice"). Also Atheism is a disbelief in God and religion is considered unalterably linked with that belief. To be told you're religious could then be construed as an insult and against their "religion's" beliefs and tends to be vehemently denied.
    for the "Is Atheism a Religion?" one you guess can just skip to the end if you're like me...nothing beats just reading the conclusion

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E=mc²

This is how started:

Quantum fluctuation
    Inflation. Expansion
    Strong nuclear interaction
    Particle-antiparticle annihilation
    I wasn't trying to explain what went where. Even if there are multiple universes and millions of other "befores" there has to have been something to start it all.

Again, anything that was that was before the advent of known physics and after, there has to have been a driving force.

So wheather or not you think so, you have to believe that something started "reality" and that something would be "the creator" of that reality. Accept this truth, because it is a true statement. Of course, then the disscution really streams off into time: is time infanate? did it have a starting point? What is time, in essence, we judge time by only movement. age is movement. the earth traveling around the sun is movement. stars burning and dying is movement, so without movement would there be time? is time only a conseptual thought? but since we use time to this extent, time cannot be eternal. I want to hear your thoughts on this.

Newbie E=mc² may be famous one day E=mc² may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by youth_anime_fan
    I wasn't trying to explain what went where. Even if there are multiple universes and millions of other "befores" there has to have been something to start it all.

Again, anything that was that was before the advent of known physics and after, there has to have been a driving force.

So wheather or not you think so, you have to believe that something started "reality" and that something would be "the creator" of that reality. Accept this truth, because it is a true statement. Of course, then the disscution really streams off into time: is time infanate? did it have a starting point? What is time, in essence, we judge time by only movement. age is movement. the earth traveling around the sun is movement. stars burning and dying is movement, so without movement would there be time? is time only a conseptual thought? but since we use time to this extent, time cannot be eternal. I want to hear your thoughts on this.

Natural force is not a creator, Natural force is not a god. Natural force ¨electricity, gravity, magnetics, fusion, heat and radiation¨ is infinite and since you beleave in a god. i would like to ask you the same question. Who created god ?

Time is motion. Motion is affected by living organisms. Time is when heart pump blood around the body, The more it pump, the more older you get.

Natural force cause motion. Planets orbits around the sun and galaxies spreading stars due to ther natural force.

Just like protons and electrons.
    Last edited by E=mc²; Mar 13, 2005 at 07:31 PM.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by E=mc²
    Natural force is not a creator, Natural force is not a god. Natural force ¨electricity, gravity, magnetics, fusion, heat and radiation¨ is infinite and since you beleave in a god. i would like to ask you the same question. Who created god ?
    *cough* off topic *cough*

Yes I know, pot meet kettle. lol But it would make a great topic for another thread.

I would like to repeat my earlier question though, or should I say Stormravens.

"P.S. As a matter of curiosity can anyone explain to me the difference between an intangible lifeforce and a Deity that's 'everywhere and nowhere?"

You seem to be discussing it in the first part of your response but I don't see where you actually explain the difference.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast