Thread: Audio Questions

Newbie Vault 35 may be famous one day Vault 35 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Audio Questions

Progression of video technology during the last few years has been a positive deal for anime fans. We have LCDTV, HDTV, PlasmaTV, and so on. The cost of these new marvels is going down every year. That's good, right?

But what about audio? There is a lot of great amine music out there on CD and DVD. However, I have been disappointed with the sound quality of digital surround amplifiers--even THX. I bought a vacuum tube amplifier. The sound quality from the tubes is amazingly superior to the sound quality from the digital surround amps I have tried.

Do any of you feel that audio quality is being neglected by the big boys like SONY or Denon or Pioneer or BOSE?

Do you think, as I do, that the popular "home-theater-in-a-box" setup is a ripoff?

Otaku paiki may be famous one day paiki may be famous one day paiki's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Audio Questions

Hmmm, Specifically, lots of animes have a flaw on Audio System.

I have some original Dvds of Naruto and Bleach, and they have Dolby Digital 5.1. Watching it on a good built Home Theater (you need build one, not buy one) is really awesome.

Maybe your animes have bad audoi quality(are they original? do they support your Sound System, surround, 5.1, 7.1, 3.1,4.1?) or maybe sound system isn´t good enough
    Last edited by paiki; Mar 17, 2006 at 11:18 AM.

Newbie dgs_vex may be famous one day dgs_vex may be famous one day
    Thanks

hmm i dont really care about HD stuff cause my laptop only has two speakers(two audio channels) but it may try to emulate HD multichannel audio. but i know alienware laptops have like 8 speakers which probrally supports 7.1. but it just makes the size bigger. i dont know how many audio channels does .cda support?

Newbie Vault 35 may be famous one day Vault 35 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paiki
    a good built Home Theater (you need build one, not buy one) is really awesome
    I got into being an audiophile as a result of building a few home theater systems. It can be a major renovation project depending on how much cash one is willing to invest in it. The amount of money I was spending on it forced me to do some research to get info beyond what the teenagers working at Best Buy had to offer. They have been listening to little more than rap music all their lives and as a result they have no idea what real high end sound is.

They will tell you all day long that the best home theater sound comes from the most expensive THX receiver they have for sale. Well, they are correct to a degree. They fail to mention all the other stuff you have to buy to get the best sound out of it--decent speakers, decent cables, a power regulator, and so-on. Imagine you spend a thousand dollars on a regular THX (7.1) reciever. Well, to get the most out of it, you have to spend several thouand more dollars on speakers and cables and a power regulator--this is assuming you already have a TV and a DVD player.

I ended up going with a 2.0 vacuum tube amp after trying surround for personal reasons and because I could afford it. I still have my regular surround setup in another room but when I really want to hear a fire fight or music at the correct frequencies, I go with the tubes.

Now imagine you are young and on a tight budget. You can get better sound out of your uncle's 2.0 silver pioneer reciever from 1972 than you can get out of today's 5.1 surround systems--unless the only thing you're listening to is rap music.

If you are listening to everything through a PC setup, you are temporarily lost and I feel sorry for you. Sound processed through a PC is just about the worst quality sound out there. Manufacturers are getting away with it now because everybody is still preoccupied with the amount of raw data they can download off the internet rather than the quality of that info.

Hopefully, the PC gurus will figure out how to sell us better PC sound sooner or later. My prediction is that the best results will be through some kind of digital to analog conversion amplified through tubes...