Thread: Autism

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Autism

does anyone have personal experiences with autism? We were discussing this in my intro to PSYC class. I cases of autism [aperger's syndrome] in my family, on my dad's side / cousin, but it's pretty far removed. It's a really interesting subject, as far as the whole cognition and language aspects go. Most babies model language (and go through the appropriate stages) in echolalia and babbling. In autistic children, they completely skip these stages from what I've been informed.
    From what I'm told about the newborns, they are cold and don't have the need for affiliation that most people do. Does anyone have any personal cases with this?

The Antagonist Eriadd may be famous one day Eriadd may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Autism

One of my best friend's brothers is autistic. He is also a freakin' awesome person to talk to. He's really good with computers, and is really an interesting guy to converse with.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

My Nephew is autistic.

It's really difficult to describe, you really have to experience it.
    And yes, he was...distant, as a baby. He would play by himself and was constantly moving about but never really interacted with people unless he had to.
    Other than that he appeared to be developing naturally until he turned two. That's pretty normal though according to what I've been told.

I've known a few grown autistics. One of them lived in an "apartment" at his parents house. His parents were awsome and gave him as much freedom as they could while still keeping an eye on him. Not everyone is able to do that however.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks

I've actually got Aperger's syndrome, myself.

Like children with autism, children with Asperger's syndrome have difficulty with social interaction and communication, and have a narrow range of interests. However, children with Asperger's have average or above average intelligence, and develop normally in the areas of language and cognition (the mental processes related to thinking and learning). Children with Asperger's often also have difficulty concentrating and may have poor coordination.

I went to serveal pyschologists when I was small, and alot of them throught I had ADHD. I was too young to remember most of it... I just remember going into the old Children's hospital in the city with my parents and my older sister and just playing with toys, reading books and drawing things, and the lady used to give me balloons.

I never knew I had it until actually a couple of months ago, when my mum told me.
    Now everything made sense. I've always wondered why I was so shy, why I never had alot of friends growing up (and even now) why I have trouble putting what's actually in my mind into words.
    I'm glad that I now know that I've got this, since now I can stop beating myself up over something I can't change.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Otaku Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79 may be famous one day Kiri79's Avatar
    Thanks

In my grade, we have a reading buddy program. We go to the elementary schools and read to the younger kids. Well my class got elected to help the autistic kids. My buddy was the best one in the world. Sure he couldn't talk like other kids, but I could always understand what he wanted. Just like the younger brother I never had. People litterally thought he was my brother, too.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Does anyone here know if you can also develop serious speech problems when you're autistic?

Fangirl Missing in Action Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai may be famous one day Hikari Sakurai's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think so... I don't know much about Autism in that way, but autistic kids do usually have communication problems.

I only have Aperger's, which isn't as 'bad' as Autism, but my mum still took me to a speech therpaist when I was young.
    So I guess they can really.

Leader of the Fangirl Conspiracy

Because teasing boys is so much fun.

[ Minitokyo| Doki Doki | My AO Gallery | Request a Siggy ]
    "Bisshies make Hikari happy"

Banned tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan may be famous one day tasukuchan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari Sakurai
    I've actually got Aperger's syndrome, myself.
    That was my original diagnosis, but the doctors DEdiagnosed it. I'm stuck with bipolar right now, and currently ~ both my parents still believe I have the Asperger's . My shrink doesn't think I fit either of the categories though (I puzzle him). He says there should be a "Brandon Boyd Disorder - BBD"