Thread: Autorun VCD media

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Québec, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar system, ... ! >_<
    Thanks

Autorun VCD media

One of my client asked me to create a VCD media with some feature that I don't really know how to do.

I'll explain.
    • The media should be read also on a home DVD player than on a PC DVD-Rom.
    • The media contain a picture Slide-show programed on a video ripped in VCD format.
    • The CD must (when played on a PC) autorun a setup for instaling the corect media player, and when read on a home DVD player, It must read it like anyother VCD media.
    I hope some one may help me with this crasy prob.
    Coming soon.........

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    It should be possible to do a VCD (put in the VCD structure, files etc. etc.) and insert a autorun.inf- file in the root of the cd, which is the file read as autorun config on CD insertion (at least in Windows). The url has some instructions and a program that can be used to make such files (although the whole process is so simple you could make it in notepad very easily - actually I would recommend that). After that you can insert all that stuff that needs to be started/used on the CD.

Basically you could specify these things in the autorun:
    • A program that checks if the MPEG-1/-2- codec/player is installed and launches setup if needed.
    • The actual player, which is launched after installation of the codec/player.

If that's too much, just put an opensource player on board (mplayer, VLC etc.) your CD and put the command line options to the autorun.inf (or, if possible, make a playlist file in your player's format and launch it instead of long command lines). That way it would open the file as soon as the disc is in (in Windows).

Hope it helped. Basically it should play on the DVD/VCD player, because usually it just looks for the right files on the CD (just like with DVDs).

[EDIT]

Check your IM. And decide where you want your answer (forum or IM) - please don't post in both. What I have done now (sent an IM before seeing your post since the IM counter sits up there on the top of the page) leaves other potential help-wanters without it.

[/EDIT]
    Last edited by JEEB; May 12, 2005 at 01:13 AM.
    人生フゥ~!!!

あなた& Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss may be famous one day Ectoruss's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've tryed some PRGM like you said (but forgot the name of them).
    They were all able to put file on the VCD , but not at the root.

Do you have a name in mind. Cause I'M like in a hurry.
    Coming soon.........

Otaku sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9 may be famous one day sukotsu9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just a note about VCD: in my experience, play on a home DVD machine is somewhat determined by 1)the physical DVD player and 2)the way your VCD is constructed. Although many DVD players claim to play VCD files, some older and newer, expensive models actually won't. I bought a cheap APEX player strictly for the ability to watch NTSC & PAL VCDs easily (every disc plays). A friend of mine has a new Panasonic 5 disc DVD home theater unit that plays 15 minutes before the picture begins to distort (noise). Probably related to the media I burned the VCD on (another issue).

Thanks
    I've somehow solved the prob. I burned the media in two session. The first with the autorun, the soft and a Mpeg version of the video, and the second one with the VCD media.

But if you have anyother suggestion, I'll be please to try them.
    Coming soon.........

Newbie JEEB may be famous one day JEEB may be famous one day JEEB's Avatar
    Thanks
    The VCD is consisted of MPEG-1 video files (of a VCD standard [link]) put into the VCD standard-related folders (for which the player scans to "find out" the CD is a VCD), so you should be able to add folders/files on the same layer and it (the player) should run without that split (that effectively doubles the size of your CD).

If some of your players don't like the "only-one-layer"- VCD disc, then that 2-layers- trick's the only workaround, I think, and you've already got the final product in your hands .
    人生フゥ~!!!

Thanks
    Thanks again JEEB. Your a geek. (>_<)
    Coming soon.........

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

And another satisfied customer...

Closing...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku