Thread: Backup solutions (just brainstorming here)

Newbie Malkavian may be famous one day Malkavian may be famous one day
    Thanks

Backup solutions (just brainstorming here)

Alright, this idea might fall flat once Spiderweb pipes in with his opinion, however here's what i'm thinking about:

Before the "incident" I'm not sure how big Aonline was (that is how big an rsync backup or such like would have been) but if the backup image could be put on a DVD or two I (and perhaps others here) wouldn't mind donating their bandwith to download an occasional backup from spider (or do the backup from the server) and burn it off to optical media to provide some offsite data security.

I'm not experienced at data backups of that scale so i'm not sure what format it would be in howver I personalyl would be glad to donate the time bandwith and physical media to provide a bit of insurance against something like this happening again

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Most Database backups are ether in a SQL forumat or GZIPPED forumat. GZIPPED it s better format for a smaller file size for a big database. I have a server here at my house if he desides to let members have backup Iwould be happy to help. I also have orther backum methods at my disposel. DVD CD/R and 6 HDDs in my computer so ether way I could help with keeping a backup

Newbie ligar may be famous one day ligar may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i would like to help with thiss
    i have at my desposel 800gigs of hdds
    4 computers one hell cable modem 500kB down 70kB up
    also at the collge dual ds3
    2 portable usb drives
    and i love anime an like to colect desktops i have about 150 old AO desktops if u whant them

Otaku spiderweb may be famous one day spiderweb may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Hmm... Interesting ideas here guys.

Back before managed.com wiped us, AO was very, very large. In fact, a stock compiled RH9 kernal could not make backups of AO because it was over it's file size limit. Clearly now things are quite different as our site is much smaller (for now).
    A DB backup can be handled with an SQL dump using cron jobs on a daily basis, but this only covers our DB and not every other aspect of AO.

THe most efficient way for us to backup is using Rsync. I already have 20 gigs of backup space using Rsync at BQinternet that is ready to go. With that said, I think it's awseome that you guys were all ready to devote some of your own personal time to the security and well being of AO. Thanks alot guys, your enthusiasm is GREATLY apreciated

Phil J. - Phil[at]animeonline.net