View Poll Results: Should we ban manga in public schools?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (we know where you live...)

2 6.67%
  • *shrugs* meh...

3 10.00%
  • NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

15 50.00%
  • Must destroy all censors!! GARGH!!!

10 33.33%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ban manga in public schools?

Newbie Wanderer4Ever may be famous one day Wanderer4Ever may be famous one day Wanderer4Ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    "The cover of another book, "Peach Girl," depicts a girl with her pants unzipped wearing a shirt that barely covers her breasts, she says. It was promoted on a school bulletin board."

Well it's their own fault for picking titles like that! I mean, if they were going to put Manga in their library, they should have at least researched what titles would be school appropriate. Not ALL Manga has scantly clad women. Some even feature scantly clad men, but you don't hear anyone complain about that now do you?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasai
    Even if they ban it....Students are still gonna bring it.
    They're not actually talking of banning it, just whether it actually belongs in a School library, Anything brought into a class that doesn't have to do with the subject is usually confiscated anyway no-matter where it came from. Or at least it should be. These days.....who knows.

Ultimatly the choice is up to the school board and school librarian.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    The banning of Manga in schools is a perfectly good idea. Those damn "otakus" should learn to read what is appropriate in school.

Devoted Otaku youth_anime_fan may be famous one day youth_anime_fan may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Yea, but banning it in total is not a good thing. What are you supposed to read during lunch? All I say is that the school is becoming more like a prison every year. They limit absolutely everything and it sucks to go there. I'm glad I'm not the next generation to take public school because I forsee entire student school strikes if this kinda crap keeps taking place.

As Seen on Internet KenX may be famous one day KenX may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I think it makes perfect sense to totally ban them. Look at Ranma...that manga subliminally teaches you to convert sexes.

Otaku vb0xn4rd may be famous one day vb0xn4rd may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Banning manga shouldn't be an all or nothing deal. Some of it is obviously inappropriate, due to rating or maybe subject matter, but most of it should be fine for schools. Librarians should have some kind of screening process, in order to cut out the kinds of manga that have caused the upset in the first place.

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    In UK (britain) there was an article published in the `Mail on sunday' which was entitled "Child murder, incest and rape... is this really how our schools should be encouraging boys to read?".

2/3 of the area was the title and 2/3 of the text was anti manga, the last third was by the reading agencies Ruth harrison who was the only one who understoud that there hell of a lot more to manga, but the damage was already done.

The aim was to encourage boys into reading more and they came up with manga, a highly visual comic with lots of reading, but article by Glen Owen (Education correspondant) focused on the minority and darkest of manga genres, 2/3 of the published article focused on this and only Ruth said that theres more to manga.

I agree with `Vaines' about the low opinion about manga, for those who have tried both drawing anime aswell as creating manga, you will not understand all thats involved, alot of people who have tried to draw anime said its hell of a lot harder than it looks, manga involes both art and design aswell as the art of storytelling.

Using manga as a medium to encourage boys into reading is effective, regarding a normal book, manga can contain as much text aswell as artwork just look at otomo`s "Akira" (its said that if the full manga had been animated the film would be over 5 hours long), if you put the akira series side by side it is as wide as your monitor, now thats alot of text and art, do you think its easy to produce a book thats effective as the manga `Akira'.

In manga you can find a story for everyone, except the judgemental critics.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    Ah yes, Deering High School. I think I took the SAT's there once...

Anyway, you all will have to take that news story with a grain of salt. Southern Maine is a news-poor land. The Press Herald has the incredible ability to take a non-story and blow it out of proportion because there is just nothing else to talk about.

Also you need to realize that Maine (along with Vermont) is where East Coast extremists went to live after they realized they couldn't make a living being extremists. This poor, misguided soul represents the minority. The good folks of Greater Portland are much more open-minded than her. Of course she does go to Deering, which is probably half the problem right there...
    well i woulden't call us extremists out here but yeah you do have to take the article with a grain of salt. i mean comeon! it made the front page! in newyork or LA or somewhere where NEWS ACTUALLY HAPPENED this article would be lucky to even be in section A...

the only reason i posted this in the first place is to raise awareness about the potential issue that could arise if some conservative extremist got their hands into this. that and to get some discussion going on the subject.

oh, and yes the poll/title doesn't really have anything to do with the article per se. it just seemed the right title to have....

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast