View Poll Results: Should we ban manga in public schools?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (we know where you live...)

2 6.67%
  • *shrugs* meh...

3 10.00%
  • NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

15 50.00%
  • Must destroy all censors!! GARGH!!!

10 33.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ban manga in public schools?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks
    I say no, Banning the written word in general is wrong, but I Can see where they are coming from.

I read alot of manga, (my favorites being Evangelion and Ai Yori Aoshi) and I do agree that some titles shouldn't be offered in School Libraries because of their content (Evangelion and Ai Yori Aoshi both have Nudity in them). And even Card Captor Sakura, which seems harmless, when you read the manga, there are alot of undertones of pedophelia (Sakura's teacher is obviously having an affair with one of his very young and underage students. Seriously, whats up with Clamp?)

But I do agree with Narrator as well, it would be a good after school club, I was a member of my High School's Anime club, and Ironicly, this topic came up, and we won the argument by convincing the administration that we were mature enough to handle such content.

But I guess when it comes down to it, sadly, its up to the administation of the schools. But just cause its banned, thats not going to stop the students, infact, it could just encourage them.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    yeah. i know there are some not so appropriate ones (for younger children) that should be withheld until they are mature enough to handle. but tere are a lot that....

actually now that i think of it there are alot of books for YOUNG children that have sexual undertones....

whats up with that? there are books for toddlers with sexual inuendos!

thats it! i'm movin to the moon!

Student: "Umm sensei, the question on the board is wrong."
    Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Newbie jaiden may be famous one day jaiden may be famous one day jaiden's Avatar
    Thanks
    well..i think i'm just gonna agree with the majority here and asy no, banning it is not a good idea, a library is a place where yuo can get books right..they cant really say "oh yeah, ur not having that one". but i also totally agree with the idea that not all books are suitable for all audiences..but thats what the teacher/librarian should be there for. they pick the books for the library that are suitable.
    I would never say ban this type of book in a library, as where does it stop? if its the sexual content, well then some of the normal fantasy books have sexual content (mild..but the only difference is its described not drawn) so, why not get those banned as well...if its the violence well...err...i cant draw a good parallel...but i think yuo get my point.
    Banning would not be the best plan if u ask me, instead limit what the children are exposed to, then if they want to go into more..give them advice on whats best

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider2004
    well i woulden't call us extremists out here
    I would. The ex-hippy element is destroying the state. When I was growing up in the Portland area it was nice, easygoing area to live in. Now the place is unbearable.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Lost in the ethernet dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004 may be famous one day dragonrider2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan
    I would. The ex-hippy element is destroying the state. When I was growing up in the Portland area it was nice, easygoing area to live in. Now the place is unbearable.
    yeah i will give you that...

@#$*ing ex-hippies! they should just go ride the rails straight into the sea!

oh, soory. please excuse the ranting of an insane otaku...

Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Otaku Vaines may be famous one day Vaines may be famous one day Vaines's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KenX
    I think it makes perfect sense to totally ban them. Look at Ranma...that manga subliminally teaches you to convert sexes.
    Perhaps, but it also lets people think and understand that they have a % of the opposite sex in them as part of their personality, if you wish to go into psychology, which can be very constructive.

Thanks
    OOC: please do vaines. i would be interested in a pshycological discussion on that subject. perhaps you could start another discussion thread on that as it would seem to fall somewhat outside the realm of this discussion...

Teacher "SHAAAADD UP!"

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    They're not actually talking of banning it, just whether it actually belongs in a School library, Anything brought into a class that doesn't have to do with the subject is usually confiscated anyway no-matter where it came from. Or at least it should be. These days.....who knows.

Ultimatly the choice is up to the school board and school librarian.
    Ahhh. Well, there are many types of books in a school library. And some of them have no relation to school related material. But some teachers allow students to read a book they brought in order to shut them up.
    Seduced by Flesh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast