Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: is it better to outline and draw inward or to draw from top to bottom fully

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blakkinferno
    I was just wondering due to the fact that im really new at anime drawing and i want to kno which ways of drawing work better

So...
    Do you think its better to make an outline and fill in details from there or just draw completely from top to bottom?
    Yes....

Sorry. It's always best to do an outline unless you're tracing. Top to bottom is the standard but if you're drawing a person you always start with the face. Picture outline first, then detail, eyes and nose (that's where most of the expression is) then mouth, detailing for clothing etc. from top to bottom to keep the picture clean. Practice drawing without resting your hand on the page and if you can't, then keep a clean sheet between your hand and the picture at all times. Finish with the final detailng and clean-up. It's really a three step process (or more).

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie Virus Omega may be famous one day Virus Omega may be famous one day
    Thanks
    i usually start with the head. ill do the entire face, first, except sometimes i wont do hair right away, depending on what style. then i do the outilne of the body, from shoulders to feet. after that, i go back and add details. but, its really a matter of opinion. id just try a bunch of different ways, and see which one works best for you.

Newbie mercilessartist may be famous one day mercilessartist may be famous one day
    Thanks
    I start with a line of action. Then from there I rough out proportions. Then I can go in and start fleshing the character out. Then come details and clothes and hair and whatnot. This method ensures that you have a nice strong, dynamic line of action...which leads to good posing.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merciless - how, in a relationship gone wrong, the man isnt always at fault and the woman isnt always the victim. check it out at http://www.mercilessonline.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbie Sindragon may be famous one day Sindragon may be famous one day Sindragon's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't know why but i start with eyes and work down
    Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Newbie LShadows may be famous one day LShadows may be famous one day LShadows's Avatar
    Thanks
    I think its whatever works best for you. I dont usually use a set way to do it. For me it depends on the character I am trying to create. But, I usually start with the head first. Sometimes I make an outline, then fill in the body, then clothes and details. Other times I go from top to bottom.

I think the best thing to do is try different ways and see which one you feel the most comfortable with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3