Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bible in Court

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks

Bible in Court

I read this article and thought it was a load of crap. people taking the Bible into a diliborating room for a trial of a convicted criminal.

DENVER -- Colorado's Supreme Court has thrown out a convicted killer's death sentence because jurors consulted the Bible during deliberations.

The court said the Bible passages, including the verse that commands "eye for eye, tooth for tooth," could influence a typical juror to vote for death instead of life imprisonment.

The juror who brought the Bible into the room said she did so because one juror said he was a Christian and he was unsure what the Bible said about the death penalty. So, she said, the next day she brought a Bible so that he would know for sure what the book said.

The justices ordered Robert Harlan to serve life in prison without parole.

Jurors had sentenced Harlan to die for raping and murdering a cocktail waitress in 1994. Defense attorneys challenged the sentence after discovering five jurors had looked up Bible verses, copied some of them down and then talked about them behind closed doors.

Gov. Bill Owens said the ruling was "demeaning to people of faith and prevents justice from being served."
    Like this case I think any bible influenced judgement should be rethought out by the judge

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't really see any problem with having a Bible in the room during jury deliberations. The big problem is that jurors were consulting the Bible as a tool for deciding the penalty phase. The ruling needed to be made based upon the laws of the State of Colorado, not Biblical law.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    This could set a bad example to other criminals, using religions to make there sentence easier or shorter. For life imprisonment, dont the taxpayers have to fork out for his food and living ?, if a convict is been imprisonned indefinately, why not give them the death penalty. Save on alot of money, but it can be considered the easy way out.

Legendary Otaku Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra may be famous one day Sinistra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Its better to make a crimal live and suffer a life in jail then killing him. I should know a friend of mine was raped killed raped again then thrown into a trashcan and burnt. I so wanted this guy to get the death penilty for the crime but then I thought if he had any bad feelings about it like he regrets it I want it to drive him mad till he kills himself or till he dies. I mean I could see people basing it on the bible "eye for an eye tooth for a tooth" that would mean the guy would have to go through what the girl went through that he killed and raped. and any rapest would enjoy it. I mean Thats why they rape they can't get any so they force themselves on helpless women. Guys like that give the rest of us guys bad names.

Otaku Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru may be famous one day Kikieru's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah youre right, what are prisons like in USA, hopefully not like there are here in the UK, I did some electrical work at a young offenders prison, the prisoners get the use of a gym, swimming pool, education & lessons, There allowed TV, music, 3 meals a day, when they get out there stronger and smarter than they went in, then they repeat offend to go back inside becouse everything is free. In order to control the prisoners they are given all these lovelly liberites & privilages, so much for rehabilatation.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Gov. Bill Owens said the ruling was "demeaning to people of faith and prevents justice from being served."
    I'm with the governor on this one. If a juror is Christian it is rediculous to tell them they can't take their beliefs into account. To overthrow the ruling for this reason is demeaning to their beliefs and their decision for his punishment. I find it especially telling since in many states a judge cannot give a death sentence only a jury, it prevents one person from deciding something so important. Yet by overturning the jury based on an anti-religion bias the judge has removed that choice from them.

Mind you, I do see where you'ra comming from Lord Katsuhito. It's the same reason I have long been a supporter of castration for rapists. The way I see it though the problem with keeping someone alive who has done something this horrific is twofold. One, the public has to pay for his life, not him. And two, what if he actually gets out? Why keep someone alive if it is determined they are a sufficient danger to society that their very existance becomes dangerous?

IMHO

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    it's gotta be unconstitutional some where in to do this. Isn't a juror's descions suppose to be based off following the law and the punishments for that law? Katsuhito's right though, I'd much rather see the bastard waste away in prison and die slow rather than just get executed "on the spot" so to speak. This kind of following just doesn't seem right, because pretty soon other religions are gonna want to enforce what their faith says you should do to criminals than the law saying what they should pay.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna
    ...It's the same reason I have long been a supporter of castration for rapists...
    I agree I think all Sex offenders should have a court order to be castrated on conviction of the crime. This way if they are released back into mass public they can't rape again. I mean Its dumb to give them a chance at being free if they are just going to go out and do it again just like Kikieru said. Some people do it to Get Free health care free food free house paid by the tax payers. The bible in court is wrong IMO

Its like mixing religon in school

As for the guy I hope he has a nice life behind bars

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast